Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Credit Card Manifesto:

Basically you run into a shop when you're disorientated/upset, start comfort-buying, then wake up in the morning realising that you do indeed have to pay it back and with interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    The Credit Card Manifesto:

Basically you run into a shop when you're disorientated/upset, start comfort-buying, then wake up in the morning realising that you do indeed have to pay it back and with interest.
    That sounds like my life story... except my parents do that last part, then we have an argument.

ReputationRep:
    Credit cards are only useful in situations where you can't use a debit card. I'd much rather spend my overdraft, to be honest. The interest rate is lower and you can get cashback.

I'm thinking of cutting up my Mastercard. But then I had to use it for a couple of things, like renewing my passport online and booking flights.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You all seem to be forgetting that you don't pay interest if you pay the full amount when the bill comes

ReputationRep:
    Exactly - I did read on an MSN UK article that there were some credit cards with a reduced/no interest free period though - don't know how true that is though. Would certainly avoid those ones though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Exactly - I did read on an MSN UK article that there were some credit cards with a reduced/no interest free period though - don't know how true that is though. Would certainly avoid those ones though!
    When I am 18 I will be getting a credit card. But I will say to the company; 'i do not want a limit of over £500, and I never will, do not try and increase it'. That way, buying online is safer for me (banks are more inclined to help if it is their money that's been stolen, not your own on a debit card).

Do banks have to ask you before they increase your limit, or do they just do it automatically when you look like a stand-up person? (by paying off every month)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    When I am 18 I will be getting a credit card. But I will say to the company; 'i do not want a limit of over £500, and I never will, do not try and increase it'. That way, buying online is safer for me (banks are more inclined to help if it is their money that's been stolen, not your own on a debit card).

Do banks have to ask you before they increase your limit, or do they just do it automatically when you look like a stand-up person? (by paying off every month)
    you *never* will!?

*NEVER?!*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    you *never* will!?

*NEVER?!*
    No, I only want to spend what I have. If I have to buy something that is over £500, I should have the real money to do it with!

ReputationRep:
    what about a house? a car?

ReputationRep:
    what about a house? a car?
    I wouldn't buy those on the internet. Plus you'd need a LOAN, not a credit card for those. Anyone who buys a car on a credit card has some severe money issues.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't buy those on the internet. Plus you'd need a LOAN, not a credit card for those. Anyone who buys a car on a credit card has some severe money issues.
    hehe yeh i know just kidding.

however, if you were to put a car on a credit card you could just be *really* loaded...

ReputationRep:
    however, if you were to put a car on a credit card you could just be *really* loaded...
    Even rich people shouldn't just waste money :stupido3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You all seem to be forgetting that you don't pay interest if you pay the full amount when the bill comes
    Exactly. I was put off using credit cards years ago because of this but if you don't use it excessively and pay the bills before the deadline you won't be charged the interest.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is Mastercard.

Everything has a value in life, but a Mastercard is priceless.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Visa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    refer to post 13.

thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by technik)
    refer to post 13.

thanks.
    Everyone that posted after you didn't read that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    get a debit card, they're much safer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-lolly-x)
    get a debit card, they're much safer
    No, they aren't. If someone nicks your debit card then it's YOUR money that gets stolen and the banks aren't too inclined to help. But credit cards DO have protection if you get defrauded as the money is the bank's and you can refuse to pay saying 'look, my card was STOLEN, i am not paying for sh*t I didn't buy', and the bank will investigate cause how else will it get it's 5 grand back? Banks are legally required to help you if you buy something over £100 and get 'done' (this has already been said in this thread).

So, for large purchases, credit cards are safer.

ReputationRep:
    No, they won't ask you, but when I get my statements and it's gone up it says something like 'we have increased your credit limit, if you would prefer not to accept this increase, then please call customer services' - so you just ring them and tell them to put it back down.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.