Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you take a GCSE in a language if you haven't previously studied it?? I pick up languages very quickly and I don't think I'd struggle at all.

ReputationRep:
    yer u certainly can. i ve chosen german gcse and still predicted to get an A at least.

ReputationRep:
    I think so. I took French GCSE and although I had studied it in school previously, I would definately say you can - you've only got to look at external candidates who enter for GCSEs in Foreign Languages and people who decide to start a course GCSE in a Language many years after taking other exams. I would really encourage you to go for it. Many textbooks have a recap section and you can always refer to Key Stage 3 material if you get stuck. Best of Luck and let us allon TSR know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    At my school loads of new people come into year 10 only speeking english and their own language, so the school does 'crash courses' in french or spannish with them, teaching closely to the sylabus. You come through knowing enough to pass with an A*, as long as you put the hard work in.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I can teach it myself over a year?? Then do the A-Level in it the next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justchar)
    Do you think I can teach it myself over a year?? Then do the A-Level in it the next year.
    I'm sure ya could take an intensive course xoxo

ReputationRep:
    what bout the speaking exam? if i taught myself?

ReputationRep:
    You don't specify which Language you are intending to study, but I suppose you could ask the Language teachers at your school if they are willing to coduct the speaking test with you in addition to the candidates they are entering for that year's exams - if you get on well with them they might agree. I would advise you take a Linear course (where marks are decided through a final exam) rather than Modular (where I think you have more than one speaking test). Also, don't forget the wrinbg part - if you are intending to do coursework then you must have this authenticated by a teacher, by completing some of it under supervision and complete a controlled conditions
    ( i.e. with no reference material) piece or do the writing exam instead.
    I don't know much about it as I have never done it myself, but hopefully the link below might be useful:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/...e-privcand.pdf

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to do Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    In my school we have to pick a language anyway in Year 8 from a choice of German, Spanish and Latin, in addition to French! But in Year 10 we can choose to do only one, or continue with both.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when I first started everyone did French in the first year and then some did German as well as French in Year 8, but I think this has been changed now so that half do French in the first year and the other half do German, according to parental preferences. At my school,for some people a Language was vomulsary at GCSE, but many did both French and German whilst others didn't do any at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i sure you can spec for ones like french and spanish its just a simple case of learning verbs

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm, yeh that's true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RudyKatoch)
    Mmmm, yeh that's true
    wicked reply lol

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.