Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First things first, I'm not some radical political jobsworth who has views verging on the racist/sexist/homophobic; I guess I am pretty middle of the road, but how annoying is it when "equal opportunities" becomes positive discrimination?

In my opinion, if there are fewer of a certain group/type of people than another group, it is correct to call them a minority.

If people can call me a Brit because I live in BRITain, why can't I call someone from PAKIstan a Paki?

If I have an argument with someone who is of ethnic origin, I am having a go at them because they are an idiot not because they have coloured skin.

If someone disciplines someone with coloured skin, claiming that it is racism should NOT be able to get them out of trouble.

OK, I have plenty more where that came from but here is your opportunity to voice your frustration, as that is probably the most apt word to describe this situation. Political Correctness is ruining society and worsening the nanny-state.

Go ahead..........express yourself.

ReputationRep:
    PAKI is widely known to be a racist term. Black people generally take offense to it (and it is often used to describe black people that aren't actually from Pakistan) and thus it shouldn't be used because it's racist.
    If you were flicking through a DICtionary would you mind if I called you a **** flicker or something? You're logic seems a bit warped. What exactly compells you to want to call people PAKIS?

ReputationRep:
    Do we call them "pakistanis"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bred)
    PAKI is widely known to be a racist term. Black people generally take offense to it (and it is often used to describe black people that aren't actually from Pakistan) and thus it shouldn't be used because it's racist.
    If you were flicking through a DICtionary would you mind if I called you a **** flicker or something? You're logic seems a bit warped. What exactly compells you to want to call people PAKIS?
    1) "PAKI is widely known to be a racist term" - Well done you! Who's a bright spark then!? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be and I don't want to be limited as to what I can say because of how some people interpret it. Calling someone a Paki is not racist, in fact I am confident that in the past it was equivalent to being called a "Brit" and thus I see no reason why I shouldn't continue to use it in that context. ie. being of Pakistani origin - NOT in a racist context.

2) "If you were flicking through a DICtionary would you mind if I called you a **** flicker or something?" And you have the audacity to call my logic warped?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Do we call them "pakistanis"?
    Yup. "Paki" has too many racist affiliations, as does "Jap". "Brit", however, does not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    1) "PAKI is widely known to be a racist term" - Well done you! Who's a bright spark then!? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be and I don't want to be limited as to what I can say because of how some people interpret it. Calling someone a Paki is not racist, in fact I am confident that in the past it was equivalent to being called a "Brit" and thus I see no reason why I shouldn't continue to use it in that context. ie. being of Pakistani origin - NOT in a racist context.!
    Seriously - something doesn't stop being racist just because you said so.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Yup. "Paki" has too many racist affiliations, as does "Jap". "Brit", however, does not.
    why though? are they not proud to be from those countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    why though? are they not proud to be from those countries?
    I think it's more than it was used in such racist taste when migrants came to Western countries. And then suddenly, the term "Paki" wasn't just used as a racist jibe towards Pakistanis', but also Indians, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans. Hence why there's so much hate associated with the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Seriously - something doesn't stop being racist just because you said so.. :rolleyes:
    "Seriously", I'm not saying I'm going to walk around calling everyone Paki and expect them to be OK with it, the motive for this thread is the origin of the resentment of certain words ie political correctness, and as such, I am discussing the cause of the problem, not the effect.

Oh, and don't roll your eyes at me, you have no right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    "Seriously", I'm not saying I'm going to walk around calling everyone Paki and expect them to be OK with it, the motive for this thread is the origin of the resentment of certain words ie political correctness, and as such, I am discussing the cause of the problem, not the effect.

Oh, and don't roll your eyes at me, you have no right.
    hehehe.. :p:

Anyways.. I've stated why I think the word in question is unpopular. It's not a nice word, and people don't like to hear.

isn't Paki only racist if you use it the wrong sort of context and tone of voice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    isn't Paki only racist if you use it the wrong sort of context and tone of voice?
    It gets used far too often to be distinguishable, imo..

(Original post by Prad)
    It gets used far too often to be distinguishable, imo..
    well i see GOD86 point, really hes right they can say Brit short for british, but we can't say paki for pakistani, there is no racism intended so why cant we call them that, i dont get offended if they call me a Brit because i am proud of being british, i dont see how shortening the word of your nationalitiy is racist, seems pathetic if anything.

ReputationRep:
    well i see GOD86 point, really hes right they can say Brit short for british, but we can't say paki for pakistani, there is no racism intended so why cant we call them that, i dont get offended if they call me a Brit because i am proud of being british, i dont see how shortening the word of your nationalitiy is racist, seems pathetic if anything.
    Firstly, I'm not Pakistani..

And since when has a shortened version of your nationality meant that you're prouder of it?

(Original post by Prad)
    Firstly, I'm not Pakistani..

And since when has a shortened version of your nationality meant that you're prouder of it?
    well i dont get offended when peeps call me Brit, but pakistanis get offended if people call them paki, surely there is something mucked up about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    hehehe.. :p:

Anyways.. I've stated why I think the word in question is unpopular. It's not a nice word, and people don't like to hear.
    Lets get this clear - there is NOTHING wrong with the word itself, so saying its not a nice word is wrong. It is the context in which the completely harmless word is used which has come to cause controversy. Ok?

ReputationRep:
    well i dont get offended when peeps call me Brit, but pakistanis get offended if people call them paki, surely there is something mucked up about that.
    Pakistanis' (or any other race or nationality) has never used "Brit" in a derogatory fashion, wheras "Paki" has been used to demean the race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    Lets get this clear - there is NOTHING wrong with the word itself, so saying its not a nice word is wrong. It is the context in which the completely harmless word is used which has come to cause controversy. Ok?
    Pretty much like every swear word or racist term out there..

(Original post by Prad)
    Pakistanis' (or any other race or nationality) has never used "Brit" in a derogatory fashion, wheras "Paki" has been used to demean the race.
    No its what people interpret as being, i personally dont interpret it being racist HOWEVER i would not call a pakistani one because no doubt they would think i was being racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    First things first, I'm not some radical political jobsworth who has views verging on the racist/sexist/homophobic; I guess I am pretty middle of the road, but how annoying is it when "equal opportunities" becomes positive discrimination?

In my opinion, if there are fewer of a certain group/type of people than another group, it is correct to call them a minority.

If people can call me a Brit because I live in BRITain, why can't I call someone from PAKIstan a Paki?

If I have an argument with someone who is of ethnic origin, I am having a go at them because they are an idiot not because they have coloured skin.

If someone disciplines someone with coloured skin, claiming that it is racism should NOT be able to get them out of trouble.

OK, I have plenty more where that came from but here is your opportunity to voice your frustration, as that is probably the most apt word to describe this situation. Political Correctness is ruining society and worsening the nanny-state.

Go ahead..........express yourself.
    The one reason people would be offended is because if your a stranger to someone and you say it to them then there is doubt in how you meant it as there are alot of people that say it to get at people.
    like if you said something to a stranger like i love you, they would look at you funny because there would be doubt that your saying it truefully.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.