The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The word Brit has never had any racist overtones associated with it, therefore it is perfectly fine to call someone a Brit. The word Paki does have racist overtonea associated with it. How can YOU tell a person originates from Pakistan by looking at them?...

Surely by your logic I can call every Australian a convict. So much easier to refer to them as convicts don't you think?
Reply 21
Naxalite
The word Brit has never had any racist overtones associated with it, therefore it is perfectly fine to call someone a Brit. The word Paki does have racist overtonea associated with it. How can YOU tell a person originates from Pakistan by looking at them?...

Surely by your logic I can call every Australian a convict. So much easier to refer to them as convicts don't you think?

yup, hehe Aussies as convicts. we should send our convicts over there! :eek: :eek: hehe only joking.

And yeah i see where your coming from, your right Brit has never had any racist over tones. so yeah i accept your point. :smile:
Reply 22
its like this, im bangladeshi, but the ignorant racists up the road just shout 'oi paki' etc
now its not the fact that i have anything against pakistani people, but the way its said, and generally associated as looking down on the 'sub-humans because they have darker skin'
same way applys to japanese people..
Reply 23
Paki has been used, much in the same way that n**ger (I'm black, and I can't even type the word) has been used, as a way of putting people down solely on the basis of their country of origin. Even if the word isn't said in an unfriendly way, just the association of it could be hurtful.

I can imagine how it would feel if I were pakistani and someone used the word paki... as if they were being insensitive, and somehow labelled me. So I won't use the word, not because I'm politically correct, but just being sensitive to people's feelings.
Reply 24
Flukey
No its what people interpret as being, i personally dont interpret it being racist HOWEVER i would not call a pakistani one because no doubt they would think i was being racist.

Not everyone goes around saying it. Just like not everybody swears. However, words still pick up affiliations that everyone is aware of.
Flukey
well i dont get offended when peeps call me Brit, but pakistanis get offended if people call them paki, surely there is something mucked up about that.

Thats because they, once again, use the race card in order to get sympathy or their own way.

Yes it is mucked up, but thats the way the UK is now, which is a shame.
Mata
Paki has been used, much in the same way that n**ger (I'm black, and I can't even type the word) has been used, as a way of putting people down solely on the basis of their country of origin. Even if the word isn't said in an unfriendly way, just the association of it could be hurtful.

I can imagine how it would feel if I were pakistani and someone used the word paki... as if they were being insensitive, and somehow labelled me. So I won't use the word, not because I'm politically correct, but just being sensitive to people's feelings.

Yes but Paki is meant as to be short for Pakistan, what Nigger meant to be short for? Nothing. Two completely different types of words.
Reply 27
Ok, so everyones had their say on that aspect of political correctness, even if some have twisted the debate to fit their point of view.

Anyway, there are so many more aspects of political correctness that frustrate me. I just took a look in the Societies forum and there is a "Lesbian, Gay etc Society" ...........does that mean that I can set up a "Heterosexual Society"? Or can I have a "English people's Society"? in response to the Indian people's Society (I refrained from saying "Brit's Society.....lol).
*ahem*

Baa baa green sheep have you any non synthetic wool?

Yes equal person, yes equal person, three recycled bags full.

:rolleyes:
I just call "pakis" 'Asians' to avoid antagonising people.

As far as i'm concerned, the disadvantages of PC far outweight the advantages, and all of Blairs "incitement of religious hatred" crap is really irritating me.
God86
Ok, so everyones had their say on that aspect of political correctness, even if some have twisted the debate to fit their point of view.

Anyway, there are so many more aspects of political correctness that frustrate me. I just took a look in the Societies forum and there is a "Lesbian, Gay etc Society" ...........does that mean that I can set up a "Heterosexual Society"? Or can I have a "English people's Society"? in response to the Indian people's Society (I refrained from saying "Brit's Society.....lol).

We've got an oompa lumpa society so I doubt anyone would complain about a hetero society or an english society :rolleyes:
Straight Talker
Yes but Paki is meant as to be short for Pakistan, what Nigger meant to be short for? Nothing. Two completely different types of words.

I do believe it originated with many immigrants in the earlier part of the century and before that originating from the Niger Delta, but since that doesn't apply to modern terms its become a term of insult
HearTheThunder

Baa baa green sheep have you any non synthetic wool?

As much as i hate PC, I must point out that things like "baa baa black sheep" are generally urban generated myths...
Reply 33
isn't nigger short for a nigerian?

Also I know a few aussies who use paki to refer to pakistanis. Its just the british culture that assumes its racist.

For what its worth political correctness sucks and I despise it.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=nigger&searchmode=none

nigger comes from negro which IIRC is spanish for black (the colour)
Beekeeper
As much as i hate PC, I must point out that things like "baa baa black sheep" are generally urban generated myths...

Hmm yeah - but there are other things which are quite disturbing i.e. the "black music awards"... can you imagine if we had a "whites only music awards" - there'd be uproar!
Ynox
isn't nigger short for a nigerian?

Also I know a few aussies who use paki to refer to pakistanis. Its just the british culture that assumes its racist.

For what its worth political correctness sucks and I despise it.

I thought it was from the Latin word meaning 'black'.

Most of my friends from Pakistan actually refer to themselves as Pakis, so I don't see why it should be seen as such an offensive term.
spangletastic
I thought it was from the Latin word meaning 'black'.

Most of my friends from Pakistan actually refer to themselves as Pakis, so I don't see why it should be seen as such an offensive term.

yeah I've heard them refer to each other as that as well :s:
Reply 38
HearTheThunder
Hmm yeah - but there are other things which are quite disturbing i.e. the "black music awards"... can you imagine if we had a "whites only music awards" - there'd be uproar!

Of course, we have the "Whites Only Movie Awards", we just call them the Oscars.

That's probably why Halle Berry was so surprised to win one.
Reply 39
i hate pc,pc usually occurs from a bunch of useless beaurecrats annoying tossers.

Latest

Trending

Trending