Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Yup. "Paki" has too many racist affiliations, as does "Jap". "Brit", however, does not.
    bollox jap is completely normal it's about as racist as a tin of baked beans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    The word Brit has never had any racist overtones associated with it, therefore it is perfectly fine to call someone a Brit. The word Paki does have racist overtonea associated with it. How can YOU tell a person originates from Pakistan by looking at them?...

Surely by your logic I can call every Australian a convict. So much easier to refer to them as convicts don't you think?

A) It's more of a generalisation than anything a nickname all be it a careless one, names are usually shortened for simplicity so nobodys going to go to the extent of calling some one a Ind for indian or a bloody bangla gor bangladeshi. On a different point there are a lot of other countries that are fine with shortened names eg Aussies, Uzbeks, paddy's, and it could be south west asian peoples incapability to accept a joke or conveniecy from another ethnic group

B) That is just completely stupid and way off the subject, because nobody for any reason other than hate would call an Australian a convict, especially when about 2% of australians have british deportation ancestory it would make no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamlad1)
    bollox jap is completely normal it's about as racist as a tin of baked beans.
    Oh How Eloquent.. :rolleyes:

It's in the eyes of the holder.. it may not be racism to everyone, but it's certainly derogatory.

Jap: Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Jap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God86)
    In response to a previous comment, my purely theoretical proposal of a white only radio station does not mean that it would be all BNP orientated nationalistic choons played, but that, just as the Asian station only plays music from an Asian origin (this can be either people based in Asia OR people who take their inspiration from their Asian heritage ie. those based outside Asia), a "white-only" (remember, only theoretical!!) radio station could only play music created by white people, or from countries where white people, sorry caucasians, are a majority.
    WE'VE ALREADY GOT A CLASSICAL FM YOU POOPNODDY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamlad1)
    B) That is just completely stupid and way off the subject, because nobody for any reason other than hate would call an Australian a convict, especially when about 2% of australians have british deportation ancestory it would make no sense at all.
    About as much sense as calling someone from Bangladesh a "Paki" yeah? You know, it's actually quite frustrating that you're deciding to totally miss the point here. Words take on different meanings as their usage develops and can become really quite offensive. So you can huff and puff all you like and make the point that "Paki" is merely the opening syllable of the word "Pakistani" but it's not going to get you anywhere; it's offensive and has racist connotations.

ReputationRep:
    Calling an Asian stranger Paki is similar to calling a black person "******".

Basically, it has been extensively used as a racist term because there is no other "insulting" word primarily to brown people.

Black people - ******
    White people - .. Whites
    Brown people - .. you don't call them Brownies now do you...so Paki is the alternative..

Which is why it has a racist ring to it, even though you don't mean it in that way.

It's just like you calling a black person "wossup *****" - they will get offended.

--

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqa7)
    White people - .. Whites
    I have heard the term coconut used when referring to white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I have heard the term coconut used when referring to white people.
    yeah cheers for that I actually forgot

Coconut, TIP-EX and "Gora"

ReputationRep:
    coconut? in an offensive way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxhayleyxx)
    coconut? in an offensive way?
    Yes. I'm 'white' but if someone called me that I wouldn't take it as an offence, I guess that's the same as black rappers saying ****** too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yes. I'm 'white' but if someone called me that I wouldn't take it as an offence, I guess that's the same as black rappers saying ****** too.
    Coloured people are usually referred to as coconuts - brown on the outside white on the inside. A reference to people who act white, but have coloured skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Coloured people are usually referred to as coconuts - brown on the outside white on the inside. A reference to people who act white, but have coloured skin.
    What's Eminem then, a minstrel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Minstrels are brown on the inside and outside? :confused:

They're also very delicious.. dammit, you've made me hungry now.. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Minstrels are brown on the inside and outside? :confused:

They're also very delicious.. dammit, you've made me hungry now.. :mad:
    Look up minstrel! I meant it in the "white guys with black painted faces" sense, not as an item of confectionary!

ReputationRep:
    Look up minstrel! I meant it in the "white guys with black painted faces" sense, not as an item of confectionary!
    Sorry - I was thinking of another word used instead of coconut - 'Bounty', the chocolate bar that's brown on the outside and white on the inside. Minstrel just associated to that..

ReputationRep:
    a wigga

ReputationRep:
    I have one which is xtremely rare but has happened. When people complain about people being described as black when they've actually got brown skin. Same thing applyies to white people! We're peach coloured not white!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Yes but Paki is meant as to be short for Pakistan, what ****** meant to be short for?
    Nigeria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HammaL)
    Nigeria?
    Negro

ReputationRep:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.