Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    About as much sense as calling someone from Bangladesh a "Paki" yeah? You know, it's actually quite frustrating that you're deciding to totally miss the point here. Words take on different meanings as their usage develops and can become really quite offensive. So you can huff and puff all you like and make the point that "Paki" is merely the opening syllable of the word "Pakistani" but it's not going to get you anywhere; it's offensive and has racist connotations.
    It's a frustrating subject, especially when your ancestors have all lived in this country, it's frustrating on my behalf reading people take a sandalistic viewpont and defend everything foriegn. That ^ was my opinion on what had already been said and not always the case, and i just happen to like australia more so than a lot of other countries, after all they did give us fosters and barbeque's. rant over.

ReputationRep:
    changing the tone a bit...

whats this deferred success business then? something to do with "no child left behind" i hear. does that mean in the next olympics we'll be handing out deferred success medals and maybe even we'll get deferred success uni acceptances?...

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bred)
    PAKI is widely known to be a racist term. Black people generally take offense to it (and it is often used to describe black people that aren't actually from Pakistan) and thus it shouldn't be used because it's racist.
    If you were flicking through a DICtionary would you mind if I called you a **** flicker or something? You're logic seems a bit warped. What exactly compells you to want to call people PAKIS?
    I think you'd have to be quite a dumb racist to call a black person a Paki. If you're going to make the mistake of calling someone who isn't even from Pakistan, has no Pakistani origins, make sure at least he's brown before calling him a Paki. At least you have a little chance his family is from Pakistan and not India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or the Maldives.

ReputationRep:
    Did this thread have to be bumped back up? It's just the same point being argued again and again and its got boring now..

ReputationRep:
    Welsh people annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    what has the word "paki" got to do with black people?

pakistan isnt a country with a majority "black" population.
    Well I'm a black person who takes offence to the word, because I get called a paki, that pretty much makes it have something to do with me.
    --------------
    (Original post by Sam2005)
    Which are?
    p***- bashing for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Well I'm a black person who takes offence to the word, because I get called a paki, that pretty much makes it have something to do with me.
    --------------

p***- bashing for one.
    I think the word "paki" has too many bad connotations now. I mean, for example, if somebody asked me about you, I could reply "oh she's paki", (note: not a paki), meaning, in all innocence, that you are from pakistan. However, it's just as easy to say "oh ayaan's Pakistani".
    Imo when a word gets overused in a disrespectful way, and becomes commonplace in that usage, it's best forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    I think the word "paki" has too many bad connotations now. I mean, for example, if somebody asked me about you, I could reply "oh she's paki", (note: not a paki), meaning, in all innocence, that you are from pakistan. However, it's just as easy to say "oh ayaan's Pakistani".
    Imo when a word gets overused in a disrespectful way, and becomes commonplace in that usage, it's best forgotten.
    The issue is that I'm not.
    I'm not even from the right continent, I'm a blalck African.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    The issue is that I'm not.
    I'm not even from the right continent, I'm a blalck African.
    Sorry, I mis-read your post. Whichever way you look at it - what the hell has skin colour or country of birth got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    The point is it's just used as a generic insult to anyone with darker skin, or a slightly 'foreign' appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Yup. "Paki" has too many racist affiliations, as does "Jap". "Brit", however, does not.
    I think this is probably because us Brits are more liberated and don't take offence to things like that because we are not ashamed o our colour and background unlike other ethnic origins for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    before you read this dont go thinking im racist or soemthing. these are all examples adapted to the context of the conversation. i have no issues with people from different ethnic backgrounds WHATSOEVER. and if you think i'm white...guess again.

i know a lot of racist **** goes on now adays, and i do not support it, but still- i cant stand it when the first thing a balck person (FOR EXAMPLE) will say when they've been told to wait, or hand in homework on time, or been turned down to dance etc is "it's coz I'm black right?".
    in most cases I have personally come across, the allegations of racism were unfounded- rather more, the reactions were somehow a choice to be victimized- like "everything bad happens to me becoz of my skin colour...im such a victim of society" ..whatever... maybe there are other reasons??? is that at all possible to consider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rarely_may)
    i know a lot of racist **** goes on now adays, and i do not support it, but still- i cant stand it when the first thing a balck person (FOR EXAMPLE) will say when they've been told to wait, or hand in homework on time, or been turned down to dance etc is "it's coz I'm black right?".
    You've been watching too much Ali G. Its satire.
    --------------
    (Original post by claireharmz)
    I think this is probably because us Brits are more liberated and don't take offence to things like that because we are not ashamed o our colour and background unlike other ethnic origins for whatever reason.
    Pakistani's are not ashamed of being brown and from Pakistan... :rolleyes:

In the same way I'm not ashamed of being Jewish, but I'd be upset if someone came up to me and called me a kike.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.