notthinhan trent
    playmouth
    london south bank uni
    lon metropoliton uni
    brighton uni
    west of england
    central englnad birmingham
    friends i am lookin for construction managmenet course
    so which uni u think will be best for it,i am lookin for safe,decent location with good university background

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyuk)
    hallo friends,
    i am prashant ,and had newly join u all
    i need a help to sort out unis frm uk
    notthinhan trent
    playmouth
    london south bank uni
    lon metropoliton uni
    brighton uni
    west of england
    central englnad birmingham
    friends i am lookin for construction managmenet course
    so which uni u think will be best for it,i am lookin for safe,decent location with good university background
    I'm sorry to tell you this, but none of the universities on your list are particularly good academically/ in terms of reputation, though I'd say Brighton is by far the best overall. I'm not sure about which is best for your particular course, though.

ReputationRep:
    I think Nottingham Trent's got a fairly good reputation in terms of Engineering/Construction, but don't take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth, Brighton and Notts Trent are the best of those listed.

ReputationRep:
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...455246,00.html
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...628873,00.html

ReputationRep:
    These tables give a too vague indication when judging universities of similiar reputation.

The best thing you can do, is use the times & ft tables [don't use guardian imo] as a base. Then ring around established and major firms to find out which university is truely the best for your course. You will have to research it yourself a bit, it only takes a few hours and is well worth it if you want to make a right decision...then you can look at other factors i.e area of university.

ReputationRep:
    Compare the course content of the uni's you just mentioned to see which course suits you and feel comfortable with. In addition, compare the assessment methods too. It's better to do a course that you are comfortable in that university instead of the other course in the other university.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham Trent is definitely the best out of those for construction, it has a strong reputation for this area + the citys pretty cool too. Also their construction management course is very reputable because it is very flexible, offers sponsorship, a year in industry and is fully accredited by RICS and the CITB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    Plymouth, Brighton and Notts Trent are the best of those listed.
    I agree with that.

Don't rely on league tables as they are very misleading. For example, Plymouth is dire for many art courses such as History, but is excellent for Biological Sciences (particularly marine biology). In fact, the marine biology course is one of the most over-subscribed courses in the country and we have many of the UK's leading lecturers in that area.

So yeah, do lots of research and go to a few open days.

ReputationRep:
    use the times & ft tables [don't use guardian imo]
    why shouldnt you use the guardians table? I have been using guardian to point me toward the best performing uni's in my subject area, you have me slightly worried now. are the guardians tables totaly unreliable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    why shouldnt you use the guardians table? I have been using guardian to point me toward the best performing uni's in my subject area, you have me slightly worried now. are the guardians tables totaly unreliable?
    I also use the Guardian league table too, but along with other ones, to compare the positions of the uni's that I am applying or going to. I would use other league tables to compare to see which one is better and think which one would give a better indication. Remember each league tables have different things about uni's (e.g. the position of the uni's), that is why I use a number of them to compare.

You might want to use the Times league table to compare to the guardian to see which one you feel better using in your own opinion. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,8403,00.html
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...628873,00.html

ReputationRep:
    well dear we cant say any university good in sense of studies or performance
    the location of city,enviorment,safety,decency also matters lot,so guradian table represent only academically and i dont thk guardian will b best to be riliable,

ReputationRep:
    Have you already applied (probably havent), but maybe look at applying to better unis, by looking on their site for what they ask for and see if you can meet requirements grade wise. From the list id reluctantly say Plymouth.

ReputationRep:
    hey how you doing im going to start construction management in sep i can tell you brighton uni is the best out of your list

ReputationRep:
    Out of those, I would say Brighton and then Plymouth!

ReputationRep:
    hi thx for advise dude
    but whivh uni u goin to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    The Guardian doesn't take academic research into account. That's why it isn't as reliable as the Times.

ReputationRep:
    i dont find guardians too immpresive
    may be the student from particular unis can help us best to find out which uni is best for which

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    The Guardian doesn't take academic research into account. That's why it isn't as reliable as the Times.
    Oh OK, but I know the quality of research is an important factor but dosnt the guardian give a better over-all score of the university/faculty, and the times just a better acedemic score?

ReputationRep:
    i have chosen Kingston for my first choice and UCL for my second
    when i was doing my research Kingston was one of the top for the subject apparently it was rated 6th in europe for the course. the best uni for construction management is Manchester but i wanted to stay in london.
    i think brighton uni is the best on your list it was rated 17th/18th out of the 35/40 unis that do construction management, iv looked for the list with rankings but i couldnt find it, if i do find it i will PM you.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.