Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to track your family tree online and find out other relations you have not heaerd of (I know that it's random)

ReputationRep:
    well you dont have to do it onkline, you can go to yourt local planing office i think, and the libary and things like that
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by hulachick15)
    Does anyone know how to track your family tree online and find out other relations you have not heaerd of (I know that it's random)
    (I'm asuming you're from the UK in all this)
    There are loads of places you can look online. But the best thing to do is workat it both online and in the real world.

The best place to start is to find out absolutly everything you can from known living members of your family. That way would know exactly what you need to find out and have lots of information to double cgheck things against.

I don't know if you want to find out ancestors from the past or currently living distance releatives, but I'd say the enxt step is similar for both.

Your best best for a first step is to look at census. The 1901 census (you have to pay a small fee for every household you view) and 1881 (free) census are easily available online for the whole country. http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ and www.familysearch.org are the respective sites. Other census are available, in part, on some other sites.

These will help you try to find where your relatives were and who they were.

Then you can use other sections of www.familysearch.org to look up cetain marriages and baptisms of ancestor, taken from parish records.

This can all be done along side visits to your local library or archieves where all the census and parish records for your area should be kept on microfiche or microfilm for you to look at. There may also be Family History Centres in you area which can 'order in' the records for other areas for you to view. Lists of these entres can be found on the site www.familysearch.org. The lcoal archieves people may also be able to advise you too.

This should all help you trace backwards your family. If you want to find living relatives, the above is a good way to start. You then might want to join a site like GenesReuinted (www.genesreunited.com) where you can create entries relating to your family memebrs of the past and sarch for people who have entries of the same name. Through this site I've been in touch with numerous people from all over the world who I'm related to.

There are many other sites and message baords out there which can be of great use too, a quick search would give loads of hits...but don't be swayed into paying out huge sums of money for access to records online as many are US based or not of much use to start with. The most I've ever paid is just the odd couple of punds here or there.

Also, joining a Local family hsitory society may help. Most areas have one and they wil often have resources you can use or contacts and people who can give advice.

You might also want to look for a magazine which has a feature on starting out tracing family. There are numerous ones if you visit your local newsagents. One is likely to have an article focused at people new to tracing their family tree.

ReputationRep:
    Way back in the past, one of my ancestors was St Margaret of Scotland...and I am partly descended (on the wrong side of the blanket ) from one of the Stuart kings, apparently...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.