Turn on thread page Beta

any1 know anythin about lactic acid watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi im doing sports science and have read that lactic acid has nothing to do wiv muscle soreness after excersise in this book. it says that its to do with repeated usage of the muscle fibres. this is new to me though i thought soreness was caused by lactic acid :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    hi im doing sports science and have read that lactic acid has nothing to do wiv muscle soreness after excersise in this book. it says that its to do with repeated usage of the muscle fibres. this is new to me though i thought soreness was caused by lactic acid :confused:
    I can't give much help here, but anyway here goes. Lactic acid is produced when something stresses muscle fibres beyond reasonable levels. Thats pretty much all I know, and I'm pretty sure it isn't too precise, however... If you remember the flick A Few Good Men starring Tom Cruise, Demi Moore, Jack Nicholson. The private guy that got killed dies of 'acute lactic acidosis'. The story goes that they pushed a clean rag down the blokes throat, but pushed it a little too far. Thus the muscles in his throat suffered undue stress causing the lactic acid thingo. I hope that helps you a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I can't give much help here, but anyway here goes. Lactic acid is produced when something stresses muscle fibres beyond reasonable levels. Thats pretty much all I know, and I'm pretty sure it isn't too precise, however... If you remember the flick A Few Good Men starring Tom Cruise, Demi Moore, Jack Nicholson. The private guy that got killed dies of 'acute lactic acidosis'. The story goes that they pushed a clean rag down the blokes throat, but pushed it a little too far. Thus the muscles in his throat suffered undue stress causing the lactic acid thingo. I hope that helps you a bit.
    lol yeah it helps thanx

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it produced when the body respires anaerobically?

-Eg -the body isn't getting enough oxygen so it respires using just glucose. Lactic acid is a product of this and builds up in muscle cells...

Atleast I think that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)

-Eg -the body isn't getting enough oxygen so it respires using just glucose. Lactic acid is a product of this and builds up in muscle cells...

yeah, that rings a bell. Though I really can't remember much about it at all. Just kinda learn things and put them to paper so that I can forget them again. Ever hopeful that I'll never need it again hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)

When oxygen is not being taken in at a fast enough rate during excercise, lactate (lactic acid) is produced by the muscles as they respire using a different method of respiration (anaerobically). After the excercise is finished, due to an 'oxygen debt', areas which don't have enough oxygen are supplied with it (hence the continuing rate of fast breathing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    When oxygen is not being taken in at a fast enough rate during excercise, lactate (lactic acid) is produced by the muscles as they respire using a different method of respiration (anaerobically). After the excercise is finished, due to an 'oxygen debt', areas which don't have enough oxygen are supplied with it (hence the continuing rate of fast breathing).
    Hmm, sounds about right. Learn something new everyday even if it is the second time round lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Hmm, sounds about right. Learn something new everyday even if it is the second time round lol
    Well, at Biology A-level, you learn a thing or two about the human body...

ReputationRep:
    *chuckles* my biology teacher spent the year trying to get pregnant. I can just about quote song and verse of the bloody topic now, including atrificial methods. and to think that we were supposed to be learning about plants, and the tropisms exhibited by them etc.

Impressive Mr White. You never cease to amaze even a tired and haggard old soul like myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *chuckles* my biology teacher spent the year trying to get pregnant. I can just about quote song and verse of the bloody topic now, including atrificial methods. and to think that we were supposed to be learning about plants, and the tropisms exhibited by them etc.

Impressive Mr White. You never cease to amaze even a tired and haggard old soul like myself.
    Biology - it grows on you.

ReputationRep:
    Biology - it grows on you.
    LMAO. I like that one. Clever.

ReputationRep:
    i learnt that last year in the first year of gcse =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    Ur teacher is right i think...the whole thing with the oxygen debt is right too...but lactic acid is toxic in high enough amounts....so if u do too much exercise....the build up of lactic acid acts as a defence mechanism...causing cramp in the muscles.

G

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.