Turn on thread page Beta

I think there's one of them coming up, you know. Why so silent?

Lib Dem victory, or fluke shock result?

Is 7/7 going to affect this at all?

ReputationRep:
    Its a shame about Patsy Carlton's death. Cheadle is a neighbouring ward to me. My ward (Withington) is also Lib dem thanks to Keith Bradley's cockyness (i.e he lost the election becuase as he was so convinced he would win he didn't bother to canvas).

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4675795.stm

t - hee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4675795.stm

t - hee
    Haha! Great find!

ReputationRep:
    Results in for this:

Lib Dem hold majority of 3657

Mark Hunter (Lib Dem) 19,593 52.2% +3.3%
    Stephen Day (Con) 15,936 42.4% +2.0%
    M. Miller (Lab) 1,739 4.6% -4.2%
    L. Leggett (Veritas) 218 0.6%
    J. Allman (Ind) 81 0.2%

Swing of 0.65% Conservative-Liberal Democrat

A good result for the Liberal Democrats as it proves that they can still fight the Conservatives and improve their position even when the Conservatives put everything they have into taking the seat.

It's also a fantastic example of FPTP, for once, discriminating against Labour...

ReputationRep:
    Well... FPTP discriminates against whichever party is placed 3rd in general. That means the Tories or Labour in quite a lot of seats now. FPTP also discriminates heavily against parties placed a distant second. Labour were always going to be discriminated against in a Lib Dem-Tory marginal, the thing is, both Labour and the Conservatives benefit more than they lose from the systme, so they're unlikely to try to change it.

ReputationRep:
    lost deposit LOL

ReputationRep:
    I thought the new MP was a bit annoying and not just because of his politics but just as a personality. His speech had a lot of the "na-na-na-naaah" about it as when he talked about tory weakness and accused the conservatives of a dirty campaign in a rather angry voice. He was clearly enjoying the other guy's discomfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    lost deposit LOL
    yeah, I've been making fun of thebucketwoman all evening at the pub.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.