The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Baron Huntroyde
In an embarrassing turn for anti-grammar campaigners, the new 'value-added' ranking which has just been released proves that grammars really are the best schools in the country, and are the best free schools in the world. The teaching is the best in grammars than any other schools.

My school (southend high school...) comes ninth in that list. I feel so proud. :rolleyes:
I've just read that too, in the Daily Express. Grammars are great for the people who are clever and want to work, but not so great for those who aren't so clever and want to work. Get rid of 'em and private schools, this would up the standards of Comp. Schools and maybe the new 'good' attitudes would spread.
Reply 3
happysunshine
I've just read that too, in the Daily Express. Grammars are great for the people who are clever and want to work, but not so great for those who aren't so clever and want to work. Get rid of 'em and private schools, this would up the standards of Comp. Schools and maybe the new 'good' attitudes would spread.

V. bad idea.
Reply 4
I would have loved those opportunities, the fact that I didn't get them leaves me venemously against the concept of a grammar school =P
Reply 5
Ahh you live near me, I go to Chelmsford County High School-don't happen to know where that came do you?
I hope the anti-grammar campaigners learn a lesson and change their stupid policy. I hope Tony Blair will start putting the funds back into grammars instead of taking it away to make it difficult to provide a good education, trying to prove a point!
xxx
Reply 6
Baron Huntroyde
In an embarrassing turn for anti-grammar campaigners, the new 'value-added' ranking which has just been released proves that grammars really are the best schools in the country, and are the best free schools in the world. The teaching is the best in grammars than any other schools.

Aww.... Huntroyde has come back after throwing his tantrum.

The new statistics have basic flaws.
Reply 7
Ralfskini
V. bad idea.

Why?
happysunshine

Are education system is one of the few in the world that actively allows for gifted pupils. As today's results show, not only do grammars have the best pupils, they also have the best teaching standards. It would be a crime to abolish them.
Reply 9
claire1985
Ahh you live near me, I go to Chelmsford County High School-don't happen to know where that came do you?
I hope the anti-grammar campaigners learn a lesson and change their stupid policy. I hope Tony Blair will start putting the funds back into grammars instead of taking it away to make it difficult to provide a good education, trying to prove a point!
xxx

Grammar schools appear good because of their selective intake.
They create a micro-climate within the education system, and create very extreme, localised, standard of education.
Bigcnee
Aww.... Huntroyde has come back after throwing his tantrum.

The new statistics have basic flaws.

No, it is simply that grammars have the best value added statistics in the country, proving that they are the best in the ountry by a long way.
Reply 11
Baron Huntroyde
Are education system is one of the few in the world that actively allows for gifted pupils. As today's results show, not only do grammars have the best pupils, they also have the best teaching standards. It would be a crime to abolish them.

Lord Huntroyde has this strange pedestal on which he places his school. This clouds his thought and thus he is incapable of thinking rationally.
Bigcnee
They create a micro-climate within the education system, and create very extreme, localised, standard of education.

But as these stats show, there results are not based solely on the fact they are selctive, the teaching is excellant too.
Reply 13
Baron Huntroyde
No, it is simply that grammars have the best value added statistics in the country, proving that they are the best in the ountry by a long way.

These statistics have already been written off by education leaders/heads across the country.
Just goes to show how misleading statistical representation can be.
Bigcnee
Lord Huntroyde has this strange pedestal on which he places his school. This clouds his thought and thus he is incapable of thinking rationally.

Not just mine, 165 others which provide the best education you can have in this country without handing over any money.
Reply 15
Grammar schools are plain unfair, because there will always be bright pupils who for some reason don't goto a grammar school, and if the best teaching is in the grammar school, then they'll lose out. Resources should be directed so that people get the best standard of education, no matter which school they're at. Also, it shouldn't be a postcode lottery, once again unfair.
Reply 16
Baron Huntroyde
But as these stats show, there results are not based solely on the fact they are selctive, the teaching is excellant too.

Because they attract the best teachers, because they are so. This leads to a terrible stagnation in the education of the other 75% of students.
Bigcnee
These statistics have already been written off by education leaders/heads across the country.
Just goes to show how misleading statistical representation can be.

Hmm, the SHA only criticised the SATs, not the stats. And they would, as the vast majority of their members are non-grammar school teachers.
Baron Huntroyde

The teaching is excellent ebcause they attract the best teachers that refuse to teach in the comp. schools because they know they can go somewhere better making students at comp. suffer.
Reply 19
Bigcnee

Not the case-Value Added means the extra intelligence the school has added to the pupils, so however clever the children are in yr 7 doesn't effect the result. This prevents the selective schools coming top because of their selection; however, it doesn't stop them coming top because they are fab!

Latest

Trending

Trending