Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

whats your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    enlighten me
    Comprehensive schools are streamed. ie. put into level of ability.

This means that greater 'fluidity' can be reached, because subsequent set changes happen within the school. Late performers can also be moved up when they mature intellectually. A comp, in effect, is a high school and a grammar all-in-one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    whats your point?
    I would've thought it is fairly obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Comprehensive schools are streamed. ie. put into level of ability.

This means that greater 'fluidity' can be reached, because subsequent set changes happen within the school. Late performers can also be moved up when they mature intellectually. A comp, in effect, is a high school and a grammar all-in-one.
    Ahhh. I see. But the facilities and resources cannot be expected to be of a grammar that students must pay £6000. And its resources cannot be compared to those that charge £10,000 per annum.

i.e. all 2:1, 2:2 cam/ox graduated teachers go to the £10,000 braket schools. Whilst 2:1, 2:2 from all other schools in the £6000 brackets.

ReputationRep:
    no, the person had a blank post. It was just a long quote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Ahhh. I see. But the facilities and resources cannot be expected to be of a grammar that students must pay £6000. And its resources cannot be compared to those that charge £10,000 per annum.

i.e. all 2:1, 2:2 cam/ox graduated teachers go to the £10,000 braket schools. Whilst 2:1, 2:2 from all other schools in the £6000 brackets.
    Erm... Grammar schools are free state schools. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It isn't I'm not really understanding what exactly you mean when you say comps are streamed so come on mr. big shot, explain it to me.... very very slowly. ( I'm a bit dim, what can I say)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    It isn't I'm not really understanding what exactly you mean when you say comps are streamed so come on mr. big shot, explain it to me.... very very slowly. ( I'm a bit dim, what can I say)
    I've already explained it. Re: above.

ReputationRep:
    Fact: More grammar schools were closed down by Margaret Thatcher during her reign as Education Minister in the early 70's than by any other Education Minister.
    Fact: If you have a grammar for every comp you don't get comps you get secondary moderns i.e. grammars that select top 25% and secondary moderns that take all others.
    Fact: Kent has the highest number of grammars in UK (33). Their grammars not come top in the tables ranking but their secondary moderns come lowest! For the past few years Kent has the dubious honour of having more failing schools than any other LEA.
    Fact: Following on from the above fact this must mean that grammars have the effect of lowering standards in all other schools because they 'cream off' the most able.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzon)
    Did you take the 11 plus or were you not able to or chose not to?
    I didn't do it, but even at that age I wanted to - but certain reasons would've prevented me from going anyway. I'm not bitter at all though. I just feel that Grammar Schools (although they do do a good job of educating) make people like myself suffer.

ReputationRep:
    i went to a bog standard comp. for my 11-16 education and now am @ a grammar for 6th form.
    personally i prefer comprehensive education, i may have got better GCSE results if i went to the grammar, i wouldn't have had the broader life education.
    the youngsters at the grammar are so protected and restricted that i am so glad i didnt go there for my lower years study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    i went to a bog standard comp. for my 11-16 education and now am @ a grammar for 6th form.
    personally i prefer comprehensive education, i may have got better GCSE results if i went to the grammar, i wouldn't have had the broader life education.
    the youngsters at the grammar are so protected and restricted that i am so glad i didnt go there for my lower years study.
    I have to say that I don't agree completely with you. Every skl is different, and there are many grammar skls which aren't as "protected and restricted" as u may think.

What do u mean by protected and restricted anyway??

G

ReputationRep:
    i know that, this was merely my opinion from personal experience.
    in answer to your question i feel the school punishes students too harshly

eg: expulsions for incorrect uniform - no tie :rolleyes: schools are places of learning and not for fashion shows.

the atmosphere is (trying to explain - badly) untrue in that bad things never happen
    eg: no fights, social problems, things like that.

i suppose it can be seen as a good thing but it doesn't prepare the little'uns for the real world.
    sorry my explanations are a little crappy but its hard to word

ReputationRep:
    i know that, this was merely my opinion from personal experience.
    in answer to your question i feel the school punishes students too harshly

eg: expulsions for incorrect uniform - no tie :rolleyes: schools are places of learning and not for fashion shows.

the atmosphere is (trying to explain - badly) untrue in that bad things never happen
    eg: no fights, social problems, things like that.

i suppose it can be seen as a good thing but it doesn't prepare the little'uns for the real world.
    sorry my explanations are a little crappy but its hard to word
    At my skl...there are no expulsions for incorrect uniform...tho i agree that is going way OTT. There are occassionally fights...both in skl between ppl...and out of skl with ppl from other skl...tho not very often.

I understand what ur saying about preparing kids for the real world...but i think a good skl...grammar or not...will protect them as much as possible without leaving them unprepared...a compromise is needed.and i think my skl does this.

G

ReputationRep:
    i guess i just don't like it in comparison to my old school. There was really no choice of where to do my A-levels the local colleges arent really that great and the grammar is the other extreme, i would have likes it if my old school had a 6th form but hey nevermind only 6months left.

ReputationRep:
    i guess i just don't like it in comparison to my old school. There was really no choice of where to do my A-levels the local colleges arent really that great and the grammar is the other extreme, i would have likes it if my old school had a 6th form but hey nevermind only 6months left.
    Fair enough...i understand what ur saying tho...btw...is ur name nething to do w/ Muse??

G

ReputationRep:
    1 more thing also, the pupils that went there beforehand really resented "outsiders" coming to their school and weren't very welcoming towards us
    but yeah i really can't fault the education they provide its excellent and i know all grammars aren't the same, the gap between the two types is quite large, 90% of pupils at the grammar will go to uni whereas less than 10% of my old school will.
    and thats another thing, the teachers seemed to always put down others in the area saying our results are better etc.....
    but what do you expect when they only except the best academic kids :mad:

ReputationRep:
    yeah kind of, name of their latest album, are you a fan? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    yeah kind of, name of their latest album, are you a fan? :cool:
    Yeh...lol...i'm listening to it now!!!!!! Hysteria is soooooooooo gd!!!!!

In terms of grammar skls tho...i don't agree with some grammar skls that think they're superior to everyone else...in fact it seems very similar to the difference between private skls and grammar skls in my area.

G

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah!
    muse are awesome who else do u like?
    leaving the grammar topic fading in the distance

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.