The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Lord Huntroyde
I was talking of people of authority.

I presume you are saying I have little authority, because Yawn1 seems to be very well-versed in the goings of state education.
Reply 321
Bigcnee
I presume you are saying I have little authority, because Yawn1 seems to be very well-versed in the goings of state education.

I was reffering to the president of the campaign for comprehensive schools or whatever it is called.
what's happening this doesn't look like grammar schools
Reply 323
Lord Huntroyde
I was reffering to the president of the campaign for comprehensive schools or whatever it is called.

You are talking about Margaret Tulloch - chair of the Campaign for State Education. Her opinion was recorded in the Times and that is probably what you are referring to. If you check with many other souces e.g. Telegraph, Independent, Guardian etc. many of their correspondents are saying the same thing. It had already been noted, before the advent of publication of Value added from Key stage 2 to Key stage 3 that this was the case i.e. less emphasis on key stage 2 prior to transfer to grammars after sitting selection tests mean pupils start from a lower baseline than they would have been expected to and reach their potential for the following 3 years until Key stage 3. When we have publication of value added from Key stage 3 to 4 (GCSE) everyone will see that more value is added at comps.
Reply 324
yawn1
You are talking about Margaret Tulloch - chair of the Campaign for State Education. Her opinion was recorded in the Times and that is probably what you are referring to. If you check with many other souces e.g. Telegraph, Independent, Guardian etc. many of their correspondents are saying the same thing. It had already been noted, before the advent of publication of Value added from Key stage 2 to Key stage 3 that this was the case i.e. less emphasis on key stage 2 prior to transfer to grammars after sitting selection tests mean pupils start from a lower baseline than they would have been expected to and reach their potential for the following 3 years until Key stage 3. When we have publication of value added from Key stage 3 to 4 (GCSE) everyone will see that more value is added at comps.

btw you do know that newspapers are not impartial, news rarely is.
Reply 325
The truest picture will be obtained when we start the data from foundation stage (age 5) through to end of secondary education at A level. :smile:
Reply 326
yawn1
The truest picture will be obtained when we start the data from foundation stage (age 5) through to end of secondary education at A level. :smile:

yes butt hats like waiting for 10 years of data. And thats impossible as by that time education would have changed form now.
Reply 327
lala
I can't see how point three is relevant, frankly. That provides no evidence of an actual link. Can we have a link to the reports mentioned in points one and two please? Without having read them I can't really comment. I agree with your position as regards exam results though, btw.

Prof. Jessons report relating to Kent & Medway has not been obtained by me via a web link but if you type in the title "A review of structure and performance of secondary education in Kent and Medway" in a search engine you will probably come up with some sort of link to the report.
The same for Ian and Sandie Schagen's report - "The impact of selection on pupil performance". It was presented at NFER council of Members Meeting on 19th October, 2001)
Regarding point 3 - the relevance of this to the detriment of selective education on all students is that in Kent & Medway, where there is total selection into grammars, less students go into HE and therefore it leads to a less qualified work force.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with :smile:
Reply 328
yawn1

A-level? what of those who don't do A-levels, or who go to a comp and then do A-levels at a grammar?
Baron Huntroyde
In an embarrassing turn for anti-grammar campaigners, the new 'value-added' ranking which has just been released proves that grammars really are the best schools in the country, and are the best free schools in the world. The teaching is the best in grammars than any other schools.

grammer is elementary right?

elementary was fun.....thats where i learned the most.....

recess, snacks, nice teacher, naps those were the good old days :smile:
Reply 330
Grammar is the name given to high schools that used to be selective state schools. Nowadays, most are independant with some sort of state funding, and most (if not all?) are still selective.
Reply 331
theone
Grammar is the name given to high schools that used to be selective state schools. Nowadays, most are independant with some sort of state funding, and most (if not all?) are still selective.

how can you be independent with state funding. Im english but i dont get at what you mean independant. Independent/private/public schools are fee paying schools not provided by the government.
Reply 332
Lord Huntroyde
A-level? what of those who don't do A-levels, or who go to a comp and then do A-levels at a grammar?

We are talking about the added value are we not?
If I had said that we can measure the value added to an individual by following them from the start of their education to the end of their education at Key stage 4 you would have said "what about those who do A levels?"
If we are looking at the value added of an individual we will see the picture from key stage to key stage so whether they go to a different kind of school from one ks to another we will see the va at a glance.
Do you have a problem with that? Are you perhaps worried that it will illustrate that grammars are not the epitome of education that you maintain they are?
Reply 333
JSM
how can you be independent with state funding. Im english but i dont get at what you mean independant. Independent/private/public schools are fee paying schools not provided by the government.

The state provides a certain amount of funding but you still have to pay fees to attend. Although some grammar schools are fully independant, i'm confused, i don't even go to a grammar :smile:
Reply 334
yawn1
If I had said that we can measure the value added to an individual by following them from the start of their education to the end of their education at Key stage 4 you would have said "what about those who do A levels?"
If we are looking at the value added of an individual we will see the picture from key stage to key stage so whether they go to a different kind of school from one ks to another we will see the va at a glance.
Do you have a problem with that? Are you perhaps worried that it will illustrate that grammars are not the epitome of education that you maintain they are?

Why dont you try to make more schools like grammers (enjoying the same advantages that they do) rather than trying to make more schools like comprehensives (with the disadvantages that have been illustrated).
Reply 335
JSM
btw you do know that newspapers are not impartial, news rarely is.

That is why I have trawled all the broadsheets -with different political leanings -to gain an insight into their opinions and -fair play to them- they have all quoted a similar stance on the flaws of looking at added value from key stage 2 to key stage 3 only. That they all agree on this is truly remarkable!
theone

ahhhh...i see now! i go to oak ridge high and its REaLLY REALLY hard..... (ifeel like an idiot)
Reply 337
yawn1

Not at all, you put words in my mouth.

However, A-levels are very different to the key stages, with much more independant study. Teachers generally do not monitor students as closely.

I am not worried that grammars will not be shown to be the best type of education, I am sure, and the statistics prove, that they are.
Reply 338
JSM
Why dont you try to make more schools like grammers (enjoying the same advantages that they do) rather than trying to make more schools like comprehensives (with the disadvantages that have been illustrated).

Sometimes I wonder why we have a great long thread such as this with the resultant opinions debated when a post like yours takes us back to the beginning :mad:
yawn1
Sometimes I wonder why we have a great long thread such as this with the resultant opinions debated when a post like yours takes us back to the beginning :mad:

sometimes that does happen

Latest

Trending

Trending