Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does your school have a programme/organize membership to societies for gifted students?

ReputationRep:
    We have an Able and Talented programme - your name goes down on a list, sometimes with whatever it is that you're able/talented in - but as far as I can tell it makes sod all difference.

ReputationRep:
    My high school had the "gifted and talented" cohort, they'd organise a few trips or what not.

In college we have the "pre oxbridge group" for people's who's gcse results would put them in the frame to apply to oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    we have nothing like that just an awards ceremony thats it really and they are given the opportunity to go and build a school or teach in a school in india or go to compete to be a UN representive for Ireland xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Our school absolutely makes no special 'arrangements' for the gifted and talented. It's really frustrating that everything seems to be centered (in a very politically correct way) around Joe (or Josephine) Average.

ReputationRep:
    All the trips out and rewards go to the underachievers in our school.

ReputationRep:
    My school has a G&T coordinator, but I can not say an awful lot gets done, perhaps some bits lower down the school, but nothing is down out of the way to cater for the gifted and talented...when you say G&T are you referring to NAGTY or generally...(I am probably becoming a regional NAGTY student councillor for SW in September, not like i'll be up to much! :p: )

ReputationRep:
    nah my school is fair about it who ever wants to participate can...such as taking pilgrimages to Lourdes and Lough Derg (go to a catholic school) or going to Spain for a study experience xoxo

ReputationRep:
    No in my school we have nothing like that.

ReputationRep:
    we got to go to silly little trips like the eden project

ReputationRep:
    Well at my school there was the traditional Speech Night where students got subject awards - I got one last year! Yay! There's a programme of rewards for those who work hard and put in a lot of effort (regardless of academic ability).

ReputationRep:
    At my school we have a gifted and talented society. Students who belong to the g&t meet twice a week for an hour on each occasion; they often discus novels, scientific breakthroughs and mathematics. I was a member of this for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    i can't say we've got a gifted/ talented thing at my school, but the oxbridge prospective students certainly got special treatment and some departments made opportunities for people to do extra english advanced awards etc. i got special help and time allotted for me to do my oxford application

ReputationRep:
    My school didn't seem to know what gifted/talented was anyway, so no, we didn't have anything like that. No pre-oxbridge group or anything.

Plus, if they put a g/t society in my old school, no-one would sign up, as they'd be scared of being labelled a geek.

It's a shame though. I think it could be an interesting concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by absentmindedone)
    My school didn't seem to know what gifted/talented was anyway, so no, we didn't have anything like that. No pre-oxbridge group or anything.

Plus, if they put a g/t society in my old school, no-one would sign up, as they'd be scared of being labelled a geek.

It's a shame though. I think it could be an interesting concept.
    It was kept fairly "low-key" at my school, so people who weren't supposed to know about it, didn't. We were motivated at the meetings by future prospects anyway - so I don't think many would've given a t0ss what a soon-to-be dropout chav thought.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knew we had a G&T (I love the fact that they're called that, though my school realised this and changed it to A&T) register, and by about year nine most people knew who was in it. I don't think anyone really cared, though, especially as it didn't mean anything in practical terms. If you were going to get bullied for being a geek, you did, regardless of whether or not you were on G&T.

ReputationRep:
    I'm down on the register as 'G and T', and I have no idea why. this G and T stuff means nothing in my school.

Those who are considered 'gifted/talented' and attend summer schools for this category can now enter it on their UCAS forms for universities to see. It offers a greater chance of getting into one of the more prestigious universities.

Don't knock it - it could give you a great advantage!

(Original post by orangejuice)
    I'm down on the register as 'G and T', and I have no idea why. this G and T stuff means nothing in my school.
    If the school has a register for Gifted/Talented, there is a reason for it - albeit not obvious to the student!

ReputationRep:
    there might be a reason, but the G and T coordinator doesn't do much. no trips or anything special

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.