Turn on thread page Beta

Hello,

I am using the same Kaplan book but in the edition I have the sentence is

Neither of us is living off campus this semester because the rent were too high.

The possible answers for what is wrong,

a) of us
    b) is
    c) off campus
    d) were

According to the previous thread and other grammar references in the web "Neither of us is" is grammatically correct. According to the book the answer is a). My problem: to me both sentences,

1- Neither of us is living off campus this semester because the rent were too high.

2- Neither is living off campus this semester because the rent were too high.

Look grammatically correct. I don't see any grammatical problem on any of the two. So I guess that my question is, is this just another misprint or what would suggest that 2- is "better" than 1-?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Fernando.

According to KAPLAN's website, there is a misprint in the page,

The correct answer to the question is B, not A as
    indicated.

However this takes me to the question, how is possible that "Neither of us ARE living off campus this semester because the rents were too high". I have made a little research at google.com. I can find both "Neither of us ARE" + gerund and "Neither of us IS" + gerund. Which of the two is right?

Thanks,

Fernando.

The cases are too confused. One is in the present, one in the past.

This should be:

Neither of us is living off campus this semester because the rent is too high.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Fernando

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2003
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.