Turn on thread page Beta

does ne1 live in dubai? watch

ReputationRep:
    i have a few questions to ask thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!!

I went in Dubai to study 4 years ago, and I plan to come back to live there. I have many informations about Dubai, because I made my master there about economy and social life of this emirate.
    Don't hesitate to ask me, even if I don't have an excellent english (my maternal language is French, but I'm not french!!!).
    What I loved most in Dubai is that you can practice any sports there, and skiing too soon!!!

see ya

shopping festival.mmm...

ReputationRep:
    YOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    My master was about : consequences of the Dubai Shopping Festival on the economy and the social life in Dubai!!! I titled it : "Dubaï, du marché au Festival"!
    It's really great with many interesting brands, special ambiance, ...
    During this Festival Dubaï is like the center of the world!!!

ReputationRep:
    oooo0o0o0o0ooo i come to dubai all the time!!!!
    In fact im next to it right now!!!!!
    ASK ME ASK ME!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Mangomaz
    So u live in UAE? For how long? What u do there?

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in the UAE I just come here on holiday a lot...
    Im still a student. Currently doing some work exp at HSBC Sharjah though.

ReputationRep:
    you choose Dubai to go on holidays? that's a strange thing bc there are so many more interesting countries around Dubai, like Oman, Yémen, ...
    Right, it's a very safe and modern place but it's VERY poor culturally. And nature there is not so special. Everything is artificial. But you can get a lot of FUN because it's very well equiped for tourism, sport, entertainment, ...
    What is HSBC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jugurthaii)
    you choose Dubai to go on holidays? that's a strange thing bc there are so many more interesting countries around Dubai, like Oman, Yémen, ...
    Right, it's a very safe and modern place but it's VERY poor culturally. And nature there is not so special. Everything is artificial. But you can get a lot of FUN because it's very well equiped for tourism, sport, entertainment, ...
    What is HSBC?
    Dubai is the most popluar holiday destination in the UK for the past 2 years so I heard.
    Anyway I have family here thats why I always come here.
    You're right about it being poor culturally, but if you just travel half an hour to Sharjah, then you have the culture that you want. It was chosen as the most culturally rich city in the Middle East by some thing I'm not sure what exactly...
    HSBC is an international bank.

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 people who live in Dubai and one who lives in Saudi, and they can only go home every major school break, ie every 12/14 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I went to Sharjah, it looks like Hong Kong!!! There's nothing cultural there. In fact, Dubaï, to increase tourisme, try to throw away this reputation of non-culture and use all his massmedia to give a positive image. The only interesting traditional sites in UAE are some places in Dubaï like the markets (the souks), some monuments in bur Dubaï, ...
    I really want to live there because you can find everything, life is very cheap, it's very close with Europe, South Asia and Africa, it's a safe place and you can get interesting jobs according to your qualifications.
    And, for me, as a muslim, it's a good place to practice Islam even if there's a great phenomenon of prostitution and others viciousnesses

ReputationRep:
    Nope, nobody lives in Dubai.

ReputationRep:
    UEA is incredibly oppressive against women. My friend goes there on Holidays, and she says that she cant even walk around by herself without getting dirty looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    Dubai is the most popluar holiday destination in the UK for the past 2 years so I heard.
    methinks you heard wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I want to clear some things up.

Dubai is a VERY popular holiday destination .

Sharjah is an extremely cultural city I don't think anyone can deny it if you actually have a look around and visit the old souks and look at all the mosques and the museums. Sure you get the businessy and residential areas but you cant really avoid that in a fully functional city that isnt just a tourist resort :confused:.

Its true that Dubai has thrown away its cultural image, but I think that its because of this that Sharjah's culture has become so strong; its ruler is very passionate about keeping the arab culture strong. You can see that just by seeing mosques being built in locations where businesses would pay phenomenal amounts of money to be situated. I also dont think you can go anywhere in Sharjah where you cant hear the call for prayer 5 times a day.

The UAE is still an arab country. Sure the local women cover up but thats usually because they want to and its part of the culture. This is hard for western ears to hear i know :p:
    If you look local and you walk around by yourself it is likely that you will get weird looks but the people here accept that tourists probably will want to show off their tan and dont think much of going around on their own.
    I've personally never had any problems.
    But I think when people come to Dubai and the UAE they do forget that at the end of the day behind all the modern funky images, its still an arab country with arab values. Though every time I come you do see it start to fade which is a bit of a shame.

ReputationRep:
    When a woman who is completely covered up, wiTh only her eyes showing walks down a street in England, She will naturally get some looks. Thus..If you're a westerner (or non-westerner)probably wearing barely anything, showing off your tan, and generally not dressed modestly, you will again naturally get looks from people!
    (Both styles of clothing become provocative when placed in a different country )

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.