The Student Room Group

I'm worried about uni accommodation

Basically I'm really (and this is me being serious) worried about having to share accommodation with several terribly heterosexual men who will talk about beer and girls and football and just not talk about fashion or being fabulous and rughfsghhhdfghrrg1111111 I'm just worried. So yeah. I'm terrified about being placed with a group of moshers or other people who choose not to wash. I'm worried about the bathroom arrangements and everything basically.

Is anyone else feeling the same as me? Can anyone relate to this?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a "mosher"

I wash

So not on that level no.

But i can see where you're coming from....chavs would just annoy me to hell as would very "girly" girls or lads who are like Maxwell from BB

nightmare!
Reply 2
Which Uni are you going to? A lot of them send out basic questionnaires to try and fit you with people who are kinda similar - for example at Durham it asks you if you smoke or not, what kind of music you like, whether you would get up for breakfast, what time you go to bed, and whether you're a light sleeper or not

OK not perfect, but helps a lot. Also don't worry about it - most people who go to Uni will be decent people who WILL WASH lol and you'll get on fine with. If not then just speak to the, well, whoever sorts out rooms and stuff, and they'll probably be able to sort something out for you :smile:
Reply 3
The chances are you'll be in the same flat/hall/whatever as an enormous variety of other people, so you're bound to get on with at least some of them. And if they're going to your university, hopefully you'll have a few other thngs in common.
Reply 4
red_roadkill
Basically I'm really (and this is me being serious) worried about having to share accommodation with several terribly heterosexual men who will talk about beer and girls and football and just not talk about fashion or being fabulous and rughfsghhhdfghrrg1111111 I'm just worried. So yeah. I'm terrified about being placed with a group of moshers or other people who choose not to wash. I'm worried about the bathroom arrangements and everything basically.

i know the type you speak of, i think in general there will be people of every kinds at Uni. Should be able to find a good crowd :smile:

Bristol diddn't really ask many questions in their letter, i'm just hoping i get put with people that i get on with its a lottery.
Reply 5
dobbs
Which Uni are you going to? A lot of them send out basic questionnaires to try and fit you with people who are kinda similar - for example at Durham it asks you if you smoke or not, what kind of music you like, whether you would get up for breakfast, what time you go to bed, and whether you're a light sleeper or not

OK not perfect, but helps a lot. Also don't worry about it - most people who go to Uni will be decent people who WILL WASH lol and you'll get on fine with. If not then just speak to the, well, whoever sorts out rooms and stuff, and they'll probably be able to sort something out for you :smile:

I'm going to Liverpool. In the accommodation forms they didn't send any questionnaire type thing, but you had to write down the sort of things you liked doing.
Can someone tell me what a mosher is?
Reply 7
red_roadkill
I'm going to Liverpool. In the accommodation forms they didn't send any questionnaire type thing, but you had to write down the sort of things you liked doing.

Generally I've found that people at uni are a lot more accepting than people at school. You might get stuck with a bunch of scary rugger buggers, you might not. Either way, the people you live with don't have to be your bestest friends, and there are plenty of other ways to meet people you get on with (I'm assuming Liverpool, like most big unis, has a decent LBGT union).

If it's completely hellish, and I'm sure it won't be (nobody I've known has been so miserable they've had to move) you can ask your student union/accommodation folks if it's possible to arrange a move. Don't worry :wink:
red_roadkill

I visited a close friend of mine when she was living in halls at Liverpool uni. Obviously it depends on which halls you live in, but I found that there was a large range of people in every corridor...half guys, half girls, mixed interests/beliefs...don't worry - you will be fine. I think most of the halls are catered anyway so it's not like you have to cook or share a kitchen with other people anyway. I think there's one bathroom between 2 people.
I see where you are coming from, it should be fine though. I am not going to worry about it till i get there and see who i am living with. Try and do the same even though it maybe hard.
Requested mixed and hoping that i will get it, don't think a bunch of lads togther are going to be the most gay friendly (but you never know). Just going to have to wait and see. I'm really not that bothered about tidyness, i am so use to messyness after living with my family for 20 years!
Have you e mailed the accomodation office @ Liverpool, i am sure they would try and at least put you into mixed considering the circumstances.
hey - im female, but a bit of a tom boy - im doing an engineering degree n my main interests are flying and football, so as you can imagine i wasnt best pleased when i found out i had been put in a house with 11 other screaming 'girlie' girls and basically tramps!! they never washed their dishes, they smoked, n they never tidyed up! i found that i didnt get on with one of my housemates and if someone had told me before i went away i would hate my housemates id never have gone!

however......... when actually put in the situation, i found myself able to 'live' with them - i just put up with it n basically avoided them all as much as possible! if theyd not washed their dishes or left communal areas in a state - i just tried to ignore it! there were times when i wanted to move out, but you just learn to deal with it. also, i made so many good friends from my course and societies that it really didnt matter that i didnt get on with my housemates.

so even if when you get there, you find that there is nobody you can relate to, it isnt the end of the world. youll find your own way to cope with it! :smile:
Reply 11
I'm an international. So I will be coming to live in a new environment, in a new country with new people. But I'm not at all scared about expiriencing a new culture with large variety of students. Infact, I'm really thrilled to learn new customs and traditions and make new friends. In your case, you will be a lot better with your room mates for you know most of your country's traditions and stuff. So good luck!!!
Reply 12
Oooo a fresher i knew last year hated their flat and begged the housing place to move them and they did... extreme i know!

But yeh if arnt forced to be with them, just meet loads of people from socs and stuff.

i didnt get on with my flat mates in the first year, well 5 of them, the other 2 were cool, i just kept out of their way and things were fine
I just don't want to share my accommodation at all (not for the first year, anyway).
Reply 14
red_roadkill

I may be biased goin to durham where everyone seems to be nice, but there is bound to be some people living close by who dont wanna be blokey all the time, I seem to have found loads, and I also share bathrooms and its fine, on our little corridor we just walk around with towels round us it does work out a lot easier than i expected
Reply 15
maybe it'll be good to mix with people who you wouldn't normally talk to. dont get too cliquey.

plus, if you're stuck with chavs or whatever it would be quite amusing :biggrin: although... if i get Jade Goody II.... :eek:
sleepyeba
maybe it'll be good to mix with people who you wouldn't normally talk to. dont get too cliquey.

plus, if you're stuck with chavs or whatever it would be quite amusing :biggrin: although... if i get Jade Goody II.... :eek:

Mixing with Chavs???

Not unless you want me to have the **** kicked out of me

:frown:

they're mindless yobs
Reply 17
sleepyeba

Don't think jade goody's twin sister wont have an offer for UCL :wink:
Reply 18
OH my god! You are so gay!!! I've been in a boarding school and I've been in conversation of girls and blah blah... so what... I have conversations about boys and hetero guys also care about fashion... and gays about beers!!! :smile:
It shouldnt be a problem but I want to have a single room :biggrin:
Reply 19
red_roadkill

If this is what you worrying about now I hate to think what you will be like when you get a job. Accepting and tolerating other people is very much part of growing up.

Believe it or not at some point you will be forced to co-exist with people that you don't like.

Uni is a protected environment that in most cases sheilds you from life outside. Learn to deal with it at uni, before you get to the real world.

Latest

Trending

Trending