Turn on thread page Beta

What's the most respected degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    English definitely isnt that well regarded. Most people (incorrectly) label arts subjects as dosser degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Actually a few hundred thousand have their CV online on their personal homepage - just look on Google. It's a good idea as I've had firms and companies stumble across it. And at 19 I think most would include achievements from school and 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    totally aggree with jools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Lol. Actually a few hundred thousand have their CV online on their personal homepage - just look on Google. It's a good idea as I've had firms and companies stumble across it. And at 19 I think most would include achievements from school and 6th form.
    It might be a bit optimistic having "2002-2005" for your oxford part in the CV, you never know.... (i'm not suggesting anything). perhaps "2002-present" might be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    It might be a bit optimistic having "2002-2005" for your oxford part in the CV, you never know.... (i'm not suggesting anything). perhaps "2002-present" might be better.
    Suppose. Though I'd hope I'm not being 'optimistic' in thinking I'll manage to graduate with a Geog degree!

ReputationRep:
    wow, your CV is impressive , you wanting to go into journalism ?

What is it about PPE that makes it so respected? Fair enough it has alot of breadth covering some highly related areas in an interdisplinary manner, but don't you scarfice some of the depth in each disipline?

ReputationRep:
    You're phrasing it in a very favourable way. Yes people have CVs online, how many of them include examination grades gained at 16? Likewise, they may well include achievements gained at school, such as being school captain or DOE award. However, would they include the fact they acted in a school play at 13?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    wow, your CV is impressive , you wanting to go into journalism ?

What is it about PPE that makes it so respected? Fair enough it has alot of breadth covering some highly related areas in an interdisplinary manner, but don't you scarfice some of the depth in each disipline?
    Not ruling out journalism but probably not keen on it as a career, more interested in the music industry.

As for PPE, a lot is just down to the prestige and reputation.

ReputationRep:
    The play thing may not apply to you, that's ok. Substitute it for something different yet equally trivial, like being a form captain at 12 or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    You're phrasing it in a very favourable way. Yes people have CVs online, how many of them include examination grades gained at 16? Likewise, they may well include achievements gained at school, such as being school captain or DOE award. However, would they include the fact they acted in a school play at 13?
    I've seen lecturers and professors refer to their O-Levels. Every application form I'm currently filling in for internships and summer placements is asking for GCSE grades, subject by subject. Also I focus on university achievements and just a couple of main ones from school, eg Year Rep, not school plays.

Form Captain's a matter of opinion, I'd cut it out of brief resumes but still not to be dismissed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I've seen lecturers and professors refer to their O-Levels. Every application form I'm currently filling in for internships and summer placements is asking for GCSE grades, subject by subject. Also I focus on university achievements and just a couple of main ones from school, eg Year Rep, not school plays.

Form Captain's a matter of opinion, I'd cut it out of brief resumes but still not to be dismissed.
    I would say something like Year Rep would be an important thing to include on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    He's back!

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess we disagree about the importance of some of the things in your CV. If you want to count in the fact you were a form captain at 12, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Well I guess we disagree about the importance of some of the things in your CV. If you want to count in the fact you were a form captain at 12, go for it.
    Yeah I kind of just wanna get to where we disagree.

I feel having a website brandishing your exam results to be pretentious, you think otherwise, and we disagree over the value of some of the content of your cv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Yeah I kind of just wanna get to where we disagree.

I feel having a website brandishing your exam results to be pretentious, you think otherwise, and we disagree over the value of some of the content of your cv.
    Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree / constructive criticism. I don't feel I'm 'brandishing' them, it's 1 page of over 200. You went there rather than music/games/essays/msn etc!

ReputationRep:
    Again, you're phrasing your argument far too favourably, it's at the front of one of a few main links on your page. It's hard to pinpoint but I just feel there is a general air of pretense about you. Maybe I just don't like the contrived whale bone chain round your neck, the plugs of your site, the mentioning of its daily hits, or the subtle mentionings of your success you like to sprinkle everywhere, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Again, you're phrasing your argument far too favourably, it's at the front of one of a few main links on your page. It's hard to pinpoint but I just feel there is a general air of pretense about you. Maybe I just don't like the contrived whale bone chain round your neck, the plugs of your site, the mentioning of its daily hits, or the subtle mentionings of your success you like to sprinkle everywhere, who knows.
    Ahh, look what 1 year at Oxford's done to me

ReputationRep:
    Respected by whom?? there isn't one of course. You can't label a degree more respectable than another, its silly.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that in terms of respect from the public it would have to be medicine, or veterinary medicine...at the end of the day you influence what most people regard very highly: their own(including child) or animals welfare and life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Respected by whom?? there isn't one of course. You can't label a degree more respectable than another, its silly.
    ermm yes u can! an oxbridge degree will be labelled more respectable than any other degree simply because you will have to work so much harder to get it, this means you have to organise your time better, cope with periods of intense stress (mainly because of the huge volume of work condensed into short 8 week terms) and learn to apply yourself continually.

secondly there are certain subjects that are more respectable than others. for example law is more respectable than history, not because it is "better" but simply because there is a lot more work set for a law degree than history. i am in no way trying to diminish the value of a history degree, all im saying is that employers respect the fact that law students have to work much harder than most of their peers and as a result develop v gd time management skills.

of course there are other ways to develop such skills, let us take Mr Malde as an example. now im sure he would admit that he has a fair workload for his geography degree, but not as much as say a medicine/law student. but he has become active in a variety of other socities, each come with their responsibilities and as such mean that he has to manage his time well to meet all these commitments as well as his workload.

wot im trying to say is that certain degrees require more work than others (law/medicine as opposed to history/art) which makes them more respectable to employers and in general. but that in no way makes them "better" than any others...how u make the best use of whichever degree you chose to study at uni is up to you.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.