Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    respectable???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Yeah I kind of just wanna get to where we disagree.

I feel having a website brandishing your exam results to be pretentious, you think otherwise, and we disagree over the value of some of the content of your cv.
    ermm i wud have to disagree...lots of people have online CV's and one thing you have to put on a CV are your exam results. wud you still feel he was being pretentious if his GCSE results were 9B's as opposed to 9A*'s? and a CV is a chance to sell yourself...surely you would want to put as much on there as you can? being form captain (once, twice or thrice) might not make a drastic improvement of your chances of employment but it certainly doesnt harm them...so y not put it on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    ermm yes u can! an oxbridge degree will be labelled more respectable than any other degree simply because you will have to work so much harder to get it, this means you have to organise your time better, cope with periods of intense stress (mainly because of the huge volume of work condensed into short 8 week terms) and learn to apply yourself continually.

secondly there are certain subjects that are more respectable than others. for example law is more respectable than history, not because it is "better" but simply because there is a lot more work set for a law degree than history. i am in no way trying to diminish the value of a history degree, all im saying is that employers respect the fact that law students have to work much harder than most of their peers and as a result develop v gd time management skills.

of course there are other ways to develop such skills, let us take Mr Malde as an example. now im sure he would admit that he has a fair workload for his geography degree, but not as much as say a medicine/law student. but he has become active in a variety of other socities, each come with their responsibilities and as such mean that he has to manage his time well to meet all these commitments as well as his workload.

wot im trying to say is that certain degrees require more work than others (law/medicine as opposed to history/art) which makes them more respectable to employers and in general. but that in no way makes them "better" than any others...how u make the best use of whichever degree you chose to study at uni is up to you.
    Sorry, but the bit about Oxbridge is pretentious ********. I study History and International Relations by the way, I expect that isn't highly respected by you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Sorry, but the bit about Oxbridge is pretentious ********. I study History and International Relations by the way, I expect that isn't highly respected by you.
    ermm no its not pretentious...its a statement of fact. my term at oxford has just finished and ive had a chance to come back and talk to my friends at other uni's bout how their term has been. to put it simply, no one has had as large a workload set as me (especially not the people doing law at other uni's)...no one else does two 2500+ word essays a week. im sorry if u felt i was being pretentious but i wasn't.

and i do respect History and Internation Relation....just not as much as Law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    ermm no its not pretentious...its a statement of fact. my term at oxford has just finished and ive had a chance to come back and talk to my friends at other uni's bout how their term has been. to put it simply, no one has had as large a workload set as me (especially not the people doing law at other uni's)...no one else does two 2500+ word essays a week. im sorry if u felt i was being pretentious but i wasn't.

and i do respect History and Internation Relation....just not as much as Law
    Well, your mates obviously go to poxy tinpot Uni's!! Two essays a week eh? Jesus

ReputationRep:
    Two essays a week eh? Jesus
    Exactly. And I do a 3-4000 word essay every week for what's deemed by many as a worthless, mickey-mouse, poorly respected colouring-in degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Exactly. And I do a 3-4000 word essay every week for what's deemed by many as a worthless, mickey-mouse, poorly respected colouring-in degree.
    Yeah that's quite a lot. I started Uni this year, and had just two essays this term, but every department seems to have a different way of assessment, or various methods of assessment.

ReputationRep:
    Most Respected Degree: Yorkshire Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Most Respected Degree: Yorkshire Studies
    That's funny. I read somewhere that at Liverpool JMU you can study 'Football studies'.

ReputationRep:
    Well, your mates obviously go to poxy tinpot Uni's!! Two essays a week eh? Jesus
    lol..if i told them that they'd call me a stuck up oxford git!! (which im not for the record!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    ive always respected someone who is good at colouring-in, its not always as easy as u mite think to stay inside the lines

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought a PhD was the most respected of any degree

ReputationRep:
    I would think it's the place you've earned it from, not the degree itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    i.e. Football studies at Newcastle Polytechnic.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes and no. By that I mean anyone who gains a degree from Harvard in America has obvoiusly worked very hard to get there. However what price that against a 40+ woman with 2-3 grown up children who completes the same degree from a college that allows external study? All this whilst working shift work to pay the bills. Food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so
    care to elaborate on that a bit?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by theone

(Original post by Sire)
    care to elaborate on that a bit?
    A little. People who believe in this are happy to go to a 'respected' University and piss around for 3 years wasting mummy and daddys money.

It is also bad if people believe this. Bad if people who actually matter, like my future employer. Would they hire me, with a 2:1 from an upper middle Uni? Or some bloke from a Russell group Uni with a 2:2? or even a 3rd

ReputationRep:
    My point is if you're going to talk about a respected degree, you can only base a degrees respectability on the difficulty of the course, and thus on the institution from where it is gained.

ReputationRep:
    It is also bad if people believe this. Bad if people who actually matter, like my future employer. Would they hire me, with a 2:1 from an upper middle Uni? Or some bloke from a Russell group Uni with a 2:2? or even a 3rd
    A 2:2 from a Russell group uni I'd think is worth about the same as a 2:1 from a sub mid-table one eg Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.