Turn on thread page Beta

Is music getting worse? watch

ReputationRep:
    What's going on exactly? Music seems to be getting worse and worse over the years, at the moment we're regurgitating randomly generated computer beats and calling it fantastic. Some however maintain their level of quality. So - is music getting worse?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. If you're not liking modern music it's probably because you're listening to what's dug up for the herd and recognising the inevitable uniformity of it. But look a little harder and you'll see music that proves we're more diverse, more complex and more awesome at making music now than ever before. Look at... Arcade Fire, Iron & Wine, Jawbreaker, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Modest Mouse, Ratatat, The Arctic Monkeys, Art Brut, Muse, The Caesars, Interpol, Architecture in Helsinki, The Boy Least Likely To, Autolux and Sufjan Stevens for starters - music is getting more accessible, easier to find, easier to acquire and easier to make - it's definitely getting better.

ReputationRep:
    I think in some way it is.. like how rap is really popular now, it has a good beat but I wouldn't call it music.. it's more like guys just talking and say "yo back in da *bleep* *bleep* hood we joined dis gang n we shot up da whole block for a lil puffa *bleep* weed n i buy my bling yeah 24K.."

Or something like that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think that modern music goes in two different directions. it goes without saying that it's getting worse when ot comes to all the pop stars produced in orlando only to make money for their beckers, they are forgotten after a few months anyway. but on the other hand there are artist, real artists that evolve, make their music original among the rest, they can create something worth listening and something unforgettable. so, it all depends..

ReputationRep:
    No, I think the more mainstream parts of the music spectrum - Pop, R'n'B, Hip Hop... and then not forgetting all the dance music genre and sub-genres associated which are still sampling songs from back in 2000 when Dance music was "in" - are getting worse for the reason Hear The Thunder stated - its just manufactured, mass produced pap.

Whereas I feel that a good slice of the other side of the spectrum, heading into indie, rock, metal etc. are trying to push the envelope a bit and making original and simply quite excellent music. (This isn't universal though of course there are many exceptions... *cough* Fightstar... :rolleyes: *cough*) The thing I love about Rock music is that its REAL music. Not some synthesised drum beat. Rock acts have to be talented to get anywhere in the music industry. (Apart from Charlie-from-Busted though who got a free ride into another band which didnt have to struggle to be recognised like most bands do just because he's Charlie-from-Busted :rolleyes: ) [/HATREDFORCHARLIEFROMBUSTED]
    Unlike a lot of urban artists, who I feel dont really have much talent at all. Anyone can read out a load of words to a camera and wave their hand around a bit to look "gangsta". Some have talent, for writing lyrics and things like that. But they waste it by punctuating swearing and derogatory comments about women with words. All urban music sounds the same to me. Crap. Theres no actual song that I can hum (which I often like to do) and personally I think its getting worse. All this "gangsta-rapping" and stuff, its breeding a culture that I hate. I feel as the music gets worse, the culture will get worse and that can only be a bad thing.
    Listen up you music industry fools! Write something original for a change!

ReputationRep:
    I feel that only some music is getting worse. As I am more or less oblivious music outside the rock genre, I can't give a general opinion, but Crazy Frog staring at No.1 for 5 weeks in the UK is just disgraceful. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of recent stuff that is mind-blowing. I feel that it's peoples tastes that are changing.

And inside rock, bands such as Oasis are getting progressively worse because they refused to quit while they were ahead. On the other hand, bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting better as they age. In my opinion, By The Way was their best album yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euge)
    I feel that only some music is getting worse. As I am more or less oblivious music outside the rock genre, I can't give a general opinion, but Crazy Frog staring at No.1 for 5 weeks in the UK is just disgraceful. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of recent stuff that is mind-blowing. I feel that it's peoples tastes that are changing.

And inside rock, bands such as Oasis are getting progressively worse because they refused to quit while they were ahead. On the other hand, bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting better as they age. In my opinion, By The Way was their best album yet.
    Indeed - Crazy Frog vs. Coldplay... Coldplay so deserved that number 1 but NO :mad:

ReputationRep:
    you definitely can't beat the classics, such as queen, u2, etc. but admittedly there are some really great bands/artists arounde today. i think we've got the best of both worlds!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    I think in some way it is.. like how rap is really popular now, it has a good beat but I wouldn't call it music.. it's more like guys just talking and say "yo back in da *bleep* *bleep* hood we joined dis gang n we shot up da whole block for a lil puffa *bleep* weed n i buy my bling yeah 24K.."

Or something like that. :rolleyes:
    LMAO! :toofunny:

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    No, I think the more mainstream parts of the music spectrum - Pop, R'n'B, Hip Hop... and then not forgetting all the dance music genre and sub-genres associated which are still sampling songs from back in 2000 when Dance music was "in" - are getting worse for the reason Hear The Thunder stated - its just manufactured, mass produced pap.

Whereas I feel that a good slice of the other side of the spectrum, heading into indie, rock, metal etc. are trying to push the envelope a bit and making original and simply quite excellent music. (This isn't universal though of course there are many exceptions... *cough* Fightstar... :rolleyes: *cough*) The thing I love about Rock music is that its REAL music. Not some synthesised drum beat. Rock acts have to be talented to get anywhere in the music industry. (Apart from Charlie-from-Busted though who got a free ride into another band which didnt have to struggle to be recognised like most bands do just because he's Charlie-from-Busted :rolleyes: ) [/HATREDFORCHARLIEFROMBUSTED]
    Unlike a lot of urban artists, who I feel dont really have much talent at all. Anyone can read out a load of words to a camera and wave their hand around a bit to look "gangsta". Some have talent, for writing lyrics and things like that. But they waste it by punctuating swearing and derogatory comments about women with words. All urban music sounds the same to me. Crap. Theres no actual song that I can hum (which I often like to do) and personally I think its getting worse. All this "gangsta-rapping" and stuff, its breeding a culture that I hate. I feel as the music gets worse, the culture will get worse and that can only be a bad thing.
    Listen up you music industry fools! Write something original for a change!
    argh...busted :mad: well,atleast they are no more.is Mcfly still around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Indeed - Crazy Frog vs. Coldplay... Coldplay so deserved that number 1 but NO :mad:
    WOAH!! Totally agreed. Damned crazy f**king FROG!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you venture outside the charts or even the just the top 10 you realise there is some very good new music being produced. I think stuff such as the Killers, Zutons, Bravery, Kieser Cheifs etc is as good as music from any other decade.

Just avoid the charts. There are also the small local bands such as Performance and I am Kloot which are making some pretty good stuff.

I personaly dispise most Rap and RnB but thats just my opinion. I like some trance but I prefer what you call intelliegent dance music, e.g stuff with lyrics like Moby and New Order and Chemical Brothers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I personaly dispise most Rap and RnB but thats just my opinion. I like some trance but I prefer what you call intelliegent dance music, e.g stuff with lyrics like Moby and New Order and Chemical Brothers.
    It's not quite dance music as such but FSOL, Fluke and Lunatic Calm are pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    if you look hard enough theres good music from every genre being produced, its just that the better indie/rawk stuff is entering the mainstream more easily at the moment

ReputationRep:
    There was a lot of really bad old music around as well you know? o.k most of the modern Pop music is ***** but people tend to look back at the other generations and only remember the classics

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, the underground British rock scene has never been better, even if bands like Reuben, Smother, Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, Hundred Reason, Biffy Clyro, Marmaduke Duke, Youth Movie Soundtrack Strategies, 65daysofstatic, No Hope In New Jersey, Meet Me In St. Louis and Million Dead never make it into the charts. Some music might be getting worse on the whole, but definately not the stuff I'm listening to...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It's not quite dance music as such but FSOL, Fluke and Lunatic Calm are pretty good!
    Not heared that, I like electronic type music. I just don't like the poppy trashy trance stuff you get in the commerical scally type clubs. I detest the stuff they play on the Galaxy/Kiss type stations but thats just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that music is getting worse, it's just you should not compare the classics with the crappy music there is... You should compare the full spectrum... And 20 years from now, people will be wondering the same thing, listening to the classics of our generation... as far as I'm concerned, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Nightwish, Coldplay... those will become classics, each in their own genre.
    Computerized drum beats suck.

ReputationRep:
    Music is just evolving.

ReputationRep:
    i voted that some music is deteriorating, especially pop.

I LIKE THE OLD CHEESY POP ! *took a lot of guts to openly admit that*

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.