Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I am Italian guy and in October I will begin a MSc in Economics at Warwick. Those days I'm wondering which building to choose, and from here it is difficult to decide… :confused: I'm looking for a quite place, but not too quite to avoid social life…

I was comparing Claycroft, Heronbank and Lakeside. Which one do you advise me? Do you know which are their day-life features? Hence a part the ones they tell in the site... Which one has thicker walls?

Where does usually most part of the post-graduates stay?

Is it common to use a bike?

Well, many questions... Thanks a lot!

Ciao!

Francesco.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Francesco)
    Hi there!

I am Italian guy and in October I will begin a MSc in Economics at Warwick. Those days I'm wondering which building to choose, and from here it is difficult to decide… :confused: I'm looking for a quite place, but not too quite to avoid social life…

I was comparing Claycroft, Heronbank and Lakeside. Which one do you advise me? Do you know which are their day-life features? Hence a part the ones they tell in the site... Which one has thicker walls?

Ciao!

Francesco.
    Hi,
    Sorry I can't help with most of your questions as I have no experience at all of postgrad residences, but in response to the bike question: not really. Some people do use them and it wouldn't be thought strange if you chose to, but the campus is pretty compact so unless you lived at Westwood and regularly had classes at Gibbet Hill (on opposite sides of campus) you're likely to be able to walk wherever you want to go to in about 10 minutes. It would probably take longer to unlock your bike, cycle to where you want to go, find somewhere to lock it and secure it again than it would just to walk! However, if you want to bring a bike, there are plenty of places you can keep it.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    bikes are popular.

Claycroft isn't too bad a hall, you share a bathroom with one other person- linda here lived there last year (if shes around, not sure).

Lakeside is pretty nice too, popular with international students though which is good and bad. Also i'd definately recommend a bike- its about a 15 minute walk from lakeside to Maths/Stats/DCS.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Lakeside is lovely but quite a walk. Personally i'd pick Claycroft. You're much nearer to both maths and the union, and right by tesco too!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody!

Claycroft looks very good, but it has smaller room.

So I have to choose between room and the distance to Tesco...

Well, maybe too many detalis... I will take it easy...

Bye!!

F.

ReputationRep:
    Location, location, location.

I'll be choosing CC myself in 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so sure abot location?

Rooms larger make you feeling better, you can guest people and have small parties.

Look at the differences

Lakeside and Heronbank are 4.3 X 3.8
    Claycroft 3.9 X 2.5

Then you can avoid walking buying a bike.

What do you think?

(Original post by Sherman)
    Location, location, location.

I'll be choosing CC myself in 3rd year.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so sure abot location?

Rooms larger make you feeling better, you can guest people and have small parties.

Look at the differences

Lakeside and Heronbank are 4.3 X 3.8
    Claycroft 3.9 X 2.5

Then you can avoid walking buying a bike.

What do you think?
    Well those are real estate's 3 golden rules and for a good reason too.

E.g. Westwood has large rooms but it's in a galaxy far, far away. Who's gonna party if you need to trek on camelback there? CC's rooms aren't that puny, and this is coming from someone who had a slightly larger-than-average AV room.

Buying a bike isn't necessary if you live in the right place, not many ppl do it if they're on campus actually.

Try and get your hands on a uni map, if you can't find it on the site try Google Image search!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Ciao!

Francesco.
    Claycroft is really nice, you share a bathroom with 1 person, but that should not be a problem. You are also very close to Tesco (big cheap store ) and the central campus where most your lectures will be (A friend of mine did economics and I frequently run into her in the Maths department which is about 100 meters from claycroft ). You are roughly 10 min walking distance from the students union where all partying will be so it is close enough to just walk over when you feel like it, but far enough so that the noise does not reach you. Sound carries sort of well in the building unfortunately, but regulations require silence after 11PM, so it is usually not a problem when you wish to sleep. During the days people tend to be out anyways. Claycroft is really close to a small pond and a wildlife conservationare where you usually have ducklings and squirrels during the spring. The rooms and bathrooms are really nice and modern, and the shower is in a bathtub.

Basically the only things that has annoyed me with claycroft is that teh fire alarm is really sensitive so people freqently set it off by accident. I suspect it is the same all over campus tho. Also, the heating system is apparently quite "sofisticated" ( read "random" ) and it had a bit of a personality crisis during teh spring. It is nothing worse than can be sorted by opening a window or putting on a sweather tho, and during teh summer you will probably just turn off the radiator anyways. I can recomend getting bringing or buying a comfortable blanket as I found the ones given were a bit small and not quite as thick as I am used to ( Im from Swedena and used to sleeping with a thick blanket in a cold room )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    linda here lived there last year (if shes around, not sure).
    She did indeed : )

Oh a bit of a tip, if you know more peopel that are gonna go to Warwick you can mention them ( and their student numbers ) and say you woudl prefer living close to each other if possible. Me and Linda did this and we were put in the same flat.

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.