Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    It is definitely more stressful and confusing! The tutor who I talked to said it was because they really wanted to make sure the process was really fair this time (after all the application process is constantly being criticised) - he said there were just too many candidates with equivalent qualifications this year so they just want to be really sure that they are getting the best applicants rather than just applicants who fluke one interview. And they are also doing it to check that all colleges are interviewing at a uniform level (i.e. it will not be easier to get into one 'less popular' college).

I would have definitely applied to Cambridge if I felt I wouldn't be able to cope with so many interviews/stress/tests. But tbh I wasn't that phased by it all and my personal view was that if I mucked up one interview I could redeem myself in another. In Cam, if you get one crappo interview that's pretty much it - but I performed better in some of my interviews, and worse in others - so I can't really analyse whether I'll get in or not too much.

I did visit Cambridge as well when making my choice of applying where, it was just a gut feeling in the end because both are great.

Thanks for the good luck, good luck to you as well I'm definitely going to med school anyway, so I don't really care (that much) anymore
    Yes, it was gut feeling with me as well at first, and I realised I had made the right choice when I heard that Oxford exams are all taking place in the third year and in Cambridge you do half after the second year and the rest at the end of the third year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Yes, it was gut feeling with me as well at first, and I realised I had made the right choice when I heard that Oxford exams are all taking place in the third year and in Cambridge you do half after the second year and the rest at the end of the third year.
    Ah that makes sense, if that was the case for my subject I would have probably done the same. Exams at Ox for medicine are pretty much spread out though (as well as the continual assessment throughout each year) which is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Ah that makes sense, if that was the case for my subject I would have probably done the same. Exams at Ox for medicine are pretty much spread out though (as well as the continual assessment throughout each year) which is good
    Lucky you. Well, I suppose if it were otherwise, not even the smartest medic would be able to get a decent degree...

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you. Well, I suppose if it were otherwise, not even the smartest medic would be able to get a decent degree...
    Very true!

Anyway, I know quite a few people at my school who applied to Cam for history (extremely popular course!), none at St John's though. One girl got interviewed really early, sometime in November! She said no one could possibly prepare for it though.

He got a C in that test, where they asked questions such as "Why do plants not have brains?" Which I thought was quite funny, but he didn't like it.
    my friend got asked that last year when she applied to downing, take note future oxbridge medics, clearly they have some brain obsession going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Very true!

Anyway, I know quite a few people at my school who applied to Cam for history (extremely popular course!), none at St John's though. One girl got interviewed really early, sometime in November! She said no one could possibly prepare for it though.
    I nearly drove myself mad over how to prepare for the interview, I did lots of revision and read two books. After the interviews I realised that the revision did not help at all, but only the two books came in quite handy. The rest was common sense. The interviews were far less "painful" than I would have imagined- apart from that source they asked me about I actually enjoyed it! I should have believed them when they said that there wasn't much preparation needed. It's much important to learn how to deal with complicated sources, which you usually don't do at A-level. They know that most applicants are still at school and have little time to prepare (I'm on a gap year) so I suppose they take that into account.

I know history is very popular, which means I am going to be REALLY happy if I get in!!!

ReputationRep:
    Theres such a thing as being too academically gifted for your own good.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly drove myself mad over how to prepare for the interview, I did lots of revision and read two books. After the interviews I realised that the revision did not help at all, but only the two books came in quite handy. The rest was common sense. The interviews were far less "painful" than I would have imagined- apart from that source they asked me about I actually enjoyed it! I should have believed them when they said that there wasn't much preparation needed. It's much important to learn how to deal with complicated sources, which you usually don't do at A-level. They know that most applicants are still at school and have little time to prepare (I'm on a gap year) so I suppose they take that into account.

I know history is very popular, which means I am going to be REALLY happy if I get in!!!
    Extra revision didn't really help me either - when I was applying A-level knowledge to problems it was the sort of fundamental principles which any biologist/chemist would know I am glad I did it though because it made me feel slightly more confident rather than feeling totally unprepared. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I am definitely glad I had the experience of going to Oxford so it wont be a complete waste if I didn't get in!

I wish you the best of luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Extra revision didn't really help me either - when I was applying A-level knowledge to problems it was the sort of fundamental principles which any biologist/chemist would know I am glad I did it though because it made me feel slightly more confident rather than feeling totally unprepared. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I am definitely glad I had the experience of going to Oxford so it wont be a complete waste if I didn't get in!

I wish you the best of luck anyway
    Yes, the main thing about revision is that it makes you feel more confident. I mean, of course you must prepare, but revision wasn't helpful, the new books I read did it.

Well, I only enjoyed it until I had to discuss that source I had to prepare! After that it was more or less hell. Before, I had the feeling that everything was going smoothly (I had a reasonable answer to every question and the questions didn't seem too hard). Then I was lost and all I said was gibberish, I tried to get out of the corners I had talked myself into. It was nasty. After the general interview, I thought "Yes! I did it!" And after the second, a well-known four letter word beginning with "s" came to my mind. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Thanks, best of luck to you, too! Is it true that the offers/rejections from Oxford have been posted yesterday/today? That's what I heard, anyway. Please let me know how you do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the main thing about revision is that it makes you feel more confident. I mean, of course you must prepare, but revision wasn't helpful, the new books I read did it.

Well, I only enjoyed it until I had to discuss that source I had to prepare! After that it was more or less hell. Before, I had the feeling that everything was going smoothly (I had a reasonable answer to every question and the questions didn't seem too hard). Then I was lost and all I said was gibberish, I tried to get out of the corners I had talked myself into. It was nasty. After the general interview, I thought "Yes! I did it!" And after the second, a well-known four letter word beginning with "s" came to my mind. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Thanks, best of luck to you, too! Is it true that the offers/rejections from Oxford have been posted yesterday/today? That's what I heard, anyway. Please let me know how you do.
    Yeah, I did find my background reading much more useful when being interviewed compared to the stuff I had just learnt in the syllabus. One of my friends who had an interview at Cam (for history) was interviewed by a Fellow who had written one of the books she had mentioned in her personal statement :eek: !

As for when they get back to us, I think it is different for each subject and college but one of the medical tutors said that he hoped the letters to be sent out in order to arrive sometime next week. Unfortunately I am not here next week so I'll have to wait until I get back around the New Year ! I will let you know how I get on though When do you hear from Cam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Yeah, I did find my background reading much more useful when being interviewed compared to the stuff I had just learnt in the syllabus. One of my friends who had an interview at Cam (for history) was interviewed by a Fellow who had written one of the books she had mentioned in her personal statement :eek: !

As for when they get back to us, I think it is different for each subject and college but one of the medical tutors said that he hoped the letters to be sent out in order to arrive sometime next week. Unfortunately I am not here next week so I'll have to wait until I get back around the New Year ! I will let you know how I get on though When do you hear from Cam?
    Yes, I've heard about people doing research on their sources at interview, only to find out in the library that all the books on that topic have been written by their interviewer! That must be so scary!!! Didn't happen to me though, although obviously both my interviewers were well familiar with what they gave me, it wasn't necessarily their special field.

Sometime between around New Year and 8th of January. My birthday is on the 31st, if they rejected me and I get the letter on that day, I will not be best pleased, as you can imagine...

ReputationRep:
    "Why do plants not have brains?" Which I thought was quite funny, but he didn't like it. He wasn't too good at thinking "outside the box", and I think that's what they looking for in everyone, more than the grades.

Hehe you thought it was funny, if plants had brains they would run away from cows and goats.. i dont think herbivors would find it amusing.

Plants dont need brains they have it all with out having to move, they dont communicate, they are routed to the ground and feed from it and use CO2 and sunlight which is provided with out any trouble. Their cells have all the instructions they need to process things so a brain is not needed.

(Original post by James_W)
    Theres such a thing as being too academically gifted for your own good.
    Oh, no there isn't, my lad...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.