Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My enthusiasm for mathematics, in all its forms, especially pure and decision, was originally inspired by a particular teacher on board a ship called the MV Doulos when I was about nine years old. From there, my fascination and zeal for numbers and patterns escalated and I really started to enjoy the logic and the absoluteness of it as well as the ability to try a variety of methods in tackling different problems. I discovered that maths is fundamental and can be found useful in almost every other subject like science, business and even art.

I really wanted to carry maths onto a higher level as it is a subject I enjoy and wish to develop my skills in. I want to use the valuable skills it has taught me in a future career. I am looking at the possibility of teaching mathematics as I would like to pass on my knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, this universal language to another generation. This would also enable me to use my inter-personal skills.

The Doulos was my home for 8 to 9 years and as it travels to many parts of the world to sell books, consisting of a multinational community of about 350 people from 47 different countries, means I always had access to almost any kind of reading material. The ship life also allowed me to be comfortable with many different types of people and cultures. Growing up in this environment has given me the incentive to work as a volunteer secretary for this organisation. This has enabled me to develop many administrative skills while also learning to work independently. There, I was also able to use my knowledge of statistical maths, which made the job much more exciting.

Moving to England in 2002 was quite a big change but it allowed me to experience more opportunities and activities. Some of what I believe are my greatest academic achievements were accomplished here. For example I achieved a silver award in the UK senior maths challenge just as I joined the school. I completed two days of Business Dynamics where we had to design our own business in the time given and which I thoroughly enjoyed. It enabled me to realise the pressures of the world while also being able to show my creative and organisational skills as well as being able to use maths on the financial side, which was also beneficial.

I also involved myself in the Engineering Education Scheme run by the Royal Academy of Engineering. Although this project was very intensive, I honestly enjoyed the challenges it presented. It encouraged me to work with the team and turned out to be extremely fun. I was also able to use maths in a practical way in a real situation even though I usually prefer solving math equations behind a desk. I also visited some universities such as UCL, Royal Holloway and City University London for engineering and maths taster courses.

A few of my other hobbies include sewing through which I have developed good manual dexterity. Watching movies, badminton, table tennis and reading books such as crime fiction novels or, of course, about maths. A book I particularly enjoyed, was Fermat’s Tast Theorum. I found the history and the way particular equations were proven fascinating. Balancing these activities with my academic studies has enabled me to develop my time management skills.

All in all, as a committed and self-motivated student, I look forward to exploring and discovering more hidden beauties of the mathematical world.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.