Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Oh, I'll be a doctor one day Tbh I don't care what anyone in this thread thinks of me, I'm allowed to give my point of view and I will do so, just because it disagrees with yours you see no point to my post, haha.

They're medics in that they're in the medical profession, just to get into uni they've shadowed qualified docs, so they might know a little more than you! Good manners?!?! "Errr brown nose? Can you get any further up??"- Fluffy's right, you really are a hypocrit!
    But you yourself stated:

(Original post by Saffie)
    :ditto: And then maybe I could post here without getting jumped on :ninja:
    (I know I haven't been, but that's because I haven't posted )

I've not encountered a nasty doctor (but then I've not encountered many). My mum would call her GP incompetent, she had seriously high blood pressure, weeks of tests and then only when she searched the 'net, she diagnosed herself and went and asked for her b.p to be taken was it noticed. V. lucky she didn't have a stroke :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    But you yourself stated:
    I was joking in that second quote!! Hence winking smilie. If I really cared about getting jumped on would I have posted? No.

ReputationRep:
    On which side?
    Well, seeing as she was the one making the statement, that was me pointing out that was what she was doing. Or maybe you're just using it as another reason to pick at me for reasons I don't fully understand.

(Original post by Straight Talker)
    Do you know what really annoys me about this thread? Certain people seem to think they are much better than anyone else, because they're studying medicine, or because they're Oxbridge students. Can I just say this doesn't make you better than anyone. The sooner you realise that, the better. Start treating people with a bit more respect, ok so they're not studying medicine, doesn't mean they're thick and you need to talk to them as thought they're 3 years old. From an earlier post, yes doctors need to ask questions but they could save a lot of time if they could be arsed to read through a patients notes, its not difficult. Why should tammy girl get upset and have to offer to close the thread to save a few stuck up people their feelings? The thread was in no way offensive its just trainee doctors (and yet you are still training so you shouldn't really be giving out medical advice anyway) who twist words and make out they're upset by them. Get a grip! If you're easily upset you're not thick skinned enough to be a doctor!

Please think more aboout your 'bedside manner' as well, if you like. You are obnoxious, rude, patrionising and basically not very nice people. You don't give many straight answers and you use sarcasm when you don't know what you're talking about. Right so you might know something about medicine, but for example the girl above on about a Psychology phd, you don't do psychology so you know bugger all, so stop going on as if you know what you're talking about, you don't, you just make yourself look even more foolish. See I know nothing about Psychology, but I will not butt in and pretend I do. Thats the difference.

Anyway the main point of my post is that you shouldn't think you're better than anyone else because you study medicine. If these are the types of people training to become doctors then I hope I never get ill, if it means being treated by the likes of you. Now you cna moan/report/neg rep this post but it needed to be said. There isn't any reason for it being deleted, I have not personally insulted anyone, I was careful not to use names. Deleting it would simply just prove you can't handle the truth, and are abusing your powers as a mod. Think about what I've said, you probably need to.
    Where to begin. Firstly the old addage. 'He that talks most is oft the one with least to say'. There really never is any substance to your posts other than silly rants about how no one else dares say what they are think and you do. Unfortuntely your mind is full of trash, and the result is the above post.

I mentioned that there aren't many clinical psycologists, and fluffy and gemchicken were simply chatting about why so few people do it. the basics being that they need to have done PhD and there perhaps aren't enough places.

Yes some of us got a bit defensive, but as i pointed out before - if someone started a thread of 'how many horrid black people/scousers have you met' you'd find lot of people kicking up a stink/defending those of them that are good. Same with us. Its not patronising to say we know more about medicine, and to try to explain why some things happen. If you feel patronised by everyone who tries to convey something they know in more depth than you then you will remain in blissful (or rather in your case angry-bitter) ignorance.

My bedside manner is great, i can talk to my patients, get on with them, and love that the whole trust aspect of the relationship. Plus most people are really nice/helpful when they find out you are med students.

Luckily due to an apparent nasty rep you awarded someone, plus past issues including racist remarks, and sheer nastiness, you are temp banned, so we won't be subjected to another diatribe for some time yet...

Jam

Translated as 'Ooooh look at me, I'm so much better than you people, I'm going to be a doctor, so I'll be superior than all you people...quick gimme attention...look at me!'

As for *slightly random* erm no, this was planned.

Absolutely pathetic :rolleyes: :mad:
    Or translated as a "I have to spend 3 years in lectures before i get the opportunity to start really meeting patients as i've always wanted to do"

Someone has an inferiority complex...

Well, do what I do, avoid one night stands.

Are you empathetic or are you sympathetic. You can't be both.
    Empathic - Cognizant of and comprehending the needs, feelings, problems, and views of others

sympathetic - Cognizant of and comprehending the needs, feelings, problems, and views of others
    -expressing or feeling or resulting from sympathy or compassion or friendly fellow feelings; disposed toward
    -showing or motivated by sympathy and understanding

I am both. Though you can't be outwardly too sympthetic with psych patients as it can make matter worse.
    You certainly can be towards their family though when you talk to them.

Now this is a case which arouses my curiosity. Are you sure this woman has been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Depressive or manic type? And how does the 'affective' part of the disorder manifest itself? Are they altering the dose of her medication? Presumably if she's been inpatient for ten years (Now that's very rare nowadays, even for the most severe cases) the poor woman has been moved from ward to ward. No one stays on an 'Acute' ward for ten years.

An extreme case.
    Well my ward has long term cases on, though she's only been an inpatient for the last 3 years. For the 6 years prior to that she was on clozapine, which she become uncompliant with/stopped working 3 years back. Its perhaps something organic, though nothing has been foudn yet.
    Schizoaffective with hypomania, though it seems to be quite a rapid-cycling type.
    Of course they are playing with her meds. I had to get them to reduce the seds the other week cos she was so drowsy she fell asleep during the interview. this week though her mania is now even worse and she was off on another rant about how her husband is evil and she'll marry the vicar etc etc.

My ward is near entirely schizoaffective cases. Schizoaffective by defenition means both affective and schizophrenic, so its hardly way off the mark to call someone like yourself schizophrenic.

And yes, am fully aware of the temp nature of peurp psychosis (tho like i said its extremely nasty, plus can in itself trigger schizophrenia).

I don't doubt you know a great deal about YOUR condition, and more than most about all mental illness, but it doesn't invalidate what others have to say.

ReputationRep:
    My grandads doctor was a nasty piece of work (still is), he practically let my grandad go into kidney failure before deciding he should go into hospital (where sadly he died, but that was the lung cancer)

(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    My grandads doctor was a nasty piece of work (still is), he practically let my grandad go into kidney failure before deciding he should go into hospital (where sadly he died, but that was the lung cancer)
    Did your grandad want to go into hospital early..?
    See this is something very different they do these days - they delay bringing people like your grandad into hospital to the latest possible moment because
    1) They usually want to be at home
    2) They are so weak they will simply contract pneumonia and spend their next few days confused and unable to talk before dying
    3) They will often live longer by not going into hospital.

I mean like you said, he was a nasty doc who let your grandads kidney functions slide till he finally got admitted to hospital where he died...of lung cancer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Did your grandad want to go into hospital early..?
    See this is something very different they do these days - they delay bringing people like your grandad into hospital to the latest possible moment because
    1) They usually want to be at home
    2) They are so weak they will simply contract pneumonia and spend their next few days confused and unable to talk before dying
    3) They will often live longer by not going into hospital.

I mean like you said, he was a nasty doc who let your grandads kidney functions slide till he finally got admitted to hospital where he died...of lung cancer...
    He had lung cancer, but even when it got to teh point where he was going into kidney failure the doctor
    a)gave him NO pain relief
    b)just didn't turn up for a home visit, giving no explanationmor apology
    c)had a nasty bedside manner
    d) the amount of pain my grandad was in i think that YES he would have liked to have been in hospital, no one should be left to suffer in that kind of agony, i mean as if having cancer ravaging your body isn't bad enough you are left with teh added pain of failing kidneys..

ReputationRep:
    To be fair my grandad was treated wonderfully when he got ill. They kept him at home because he wanted to be there for as long as possible, with health visitors and social workers popping in on him. When he got really ill he was a month in the hospital and he had his own room so he wasn't on the ward. They were always nice to him and pleasant even when he thought the corridor was a toilet and started pissing in it, and when he was calling the asian nurses names. They were very good phoned us whenever he was especially bad so we could sit with him and even though they were low staffed and the place wasn't as clean as it might have been if we mentioned it they had it seen to straight away.

Sounds like your granddad didn't have the same experience

ReputationRep:
    it is very seldom nowadays to find a good doctor. My mum even had to shift GP's twice because they just seem.. well.. not good. Its lucky for us to find a good doctor, makes you not hesitate to get a check up. In that way you are always confident that your health has a "maintenance" and get treated when needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    To be fair my grandad was treated wonderfully when he got ill. They kept him at home because he wanted to be there for as long as possible, with health visitors and social workers popping in on him. When he got really ill he was a month in the hospital and he had his own room so he wasn't on the ward. They were always nice to him and pleasant even when he thought the corridor was a toilet and started pissing in it, and when he was calling the asian nurses names. They were very good phoned us whenever he was especially bad so we could sit with him and even though they were low staffed and the place wasn't as clean as it might have been if we mentioned it they had it seen to straight away.

Sounds like your granddad didn't have the same experience
    Sadly no, i mean as far as i can tell the actual staff in the hospital were good, its just the doctor who wasn't.

He had lung cancer, but even when it got to teh point where he was going into kidney failure the doctor
    a)gave him NO pain relief
    b)just didn't turn up for a home visit, giving no explanationmor apology
    c)had a nasty bedside manner
    d) the amount of pain my grandad was in i think that YES he would have liked to have been in hospital, no one should be left to suffer in that kind of agony, i mean as if having cancer ravaging your body isn't bad enough you are left with teh added pain of failing kidneys..
    He had cancer and was given NO pain relief? thats irreprehensible.
    I seriously advise all you moaners to put up or shut up.
    The only way to get rid of bad doctors l;ike this is to make complaints.
    Complaints about bedside manner sometimes may not go far, but complaints about medication - excess or lack thereof though will go far.

ReputationRep:
    Not any kind of personal attack, this is just something I'm personally interested in - are you sure your grandad would have wanted to be in hospital? Most terminally ill patients want a 'good' death, and that usually means being at home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Not any kind of personal attack, this is just something I'm personally interested in - are you sure your grandad would have wanted to be in hospital? Most terminally ill patients want a 'good' death, and that usually means being at home...
    Yeah but we're not talking a long terminal illlness, it was a case of one week he was diagnosed with no warning (he was the healthy one), then two weeks later he'd died. I saw him before he went into hospital and it broke my heart to see him like that. My mum agrees (its her dad) that it would have better for him to be in hospital and i think he maybe did too. Not that i'll know now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Excuse me but I'm pretty sure that xXMessedUpXx knows her own grandad better than you, I know you like to think you know everything but quite frankly, you don't.

Also the start of your post 'Not any kind of personal attack...' basically means you want to cover your own back before you make a personal attack. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me but I'm pretty sure that xXMessedUpXx knows her own grandad better than you, I know you like to think you know everything but quite frankly, you don't.

Also the start of your post 'Not any kind of personal attack...' basically means you want to cover your own back before you make a personal attack. :mad:

No - I want to become a palliative care doctor and I'm interested to hear other peoples views of what a 'good' death and a 'bad' death are and to see how reality fits into all the psychosocial models we're taught about.

Anyway - I'm glad you're back - I can finally give you the neg rep I've been waiting 7 days to bestow!

ReputationRep:

Hey I wanted to give you a positive rep but I can't, the scales icon isn't there for you atm. I doubt these people are even in training to be doctors. By the way I'm the Queen of Sheba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeKitten)
    Hey I wanted to give you a positive rep but I can't, the scales icon isn't there for you atm. I doubt these people are even in training to be doctors. By the way I'm the Queen of Sheba.
    That would be because she's permanently banned. And your rep's not worth anything either, I wouldn't think.

(you need about 100 posts or something for it to be worth any points)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.