Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    awww must be something about dermatologists... i was referred unwillingly by my doctor a few years ago and the first thing he did was to moan about the number of teenage pregnanices! he then went on to imply that i was going to get myself prgenant, in which case it wouldn't be safe to take the tablets. he then totally ignored my mum and just kept going on as if he knew everything! i was so angry, i never went back again!
    he was implying that you were going to get yourself pregnant...... :eek: I wouldn't have went back to him either xoxo

(Original post by tammy_girl)
    yeah that happened my cousin after he was in a motorbike accident he broke his two legs and the set the cast wrong and they had to break his legs again he was in hospital for over a year and a half xoxo
    the human body is blooming complex. its pretty standard practice to give a standard plaster cast then mainpulate it a few weeks laster in order to get it to set right.

I personally think half you people have no idea of medicine, particularly no idea of the limitations, and have been brainwashed by the likes of casualty, ER and co.

(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    awww must be something about dermatologists... i was referred unwillingly by my doctor a few years ago and the first thing he did was to moan about the number of teenage pregnanices! he then went on to imply that i was going to get myself prgenant, in which case it wouldn't be safe to take the tablets. he then totally ignored my mum and just kept going on as if he knew everything! i was so angry, i never went back again!
    ok, thats your view of it. OR did he infact point out that what with the current trend for teenage pregnancies that you had best be damned careful not to get up the duff (i love how at this points mums will either nod understandingly or will feign shock at the idea of their daughter having sex) because the pills can cause fetal abnormalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    the human body is blooming complex. its pretty standard practice to give a standard plaster cast then mainpulate it a few weeks laster in order to get it to set right.

I personally think half you people have no idea of medicine, particularly no idea of the limitations, and have been brainwashed by the likes of casualty, ER and co.
    jamie i myself didn't mean to offend you I only stated that as Euge said he had to get his never set properly..... It was only an example..... only reason this thread was made was to see if others had similar experiences to mine and I'm sorry if i've offended some aspiring doctors I didn't mean to xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Of course I'm not saying all healthcare professionals are like this, but when I think about it this sort of thing has happened to me well over 50% of the time I've been to see someone. And that's just too high.
    It makes me very sad to hear all this - I can honestly say I've never had anything bad from any of the medical professionals I've been to. Maybe it's because I'm inquisitive (and nowadays can talk to them almost on their level) or just a grin-and-bear-it type, but I've never had any of them be that rude to me!

I do agree with Fluffy though - if you stand up to them rather than being sullen, then you might well get more out of them. If you are really genuinely unsatisfied, then make a complaint!

It is offensive (not sure if others feel the same - maybe its cos im in clinical medicine and am around the hospital all the time).
    Actually not so much offensive as irritating - we have this massive burden of responsibility, everyone expects that we should be able to do miracles, and some people act like because they pay for your services through taxes that they are your boss/they own you.
    The other week i had some random hag shouting at me about waiting times for her next appointment. But would these people shout at their car mechanic about the cost of fuel these days? [ie shout at someone who has nothing to do with the problem, and can do nothing to fix it]
    grrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    Wow, didn't think so many of you had bad experiences w/ docs ... I've never really had one.. they've been nothing but nice to me, except once I had to get shots at the health department, and they offered me an HIV test and I got offended :mad: .. then I found out they offer that to everyone. :rolleyes: (psh, they probably thought I was a wh0re :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    It is offensive (not sure if others feel the same - maybe its cos im in clinical medicine and am around the hospital all the time).
    Actually not so much offensive as irritating - we have this massive burden of responsibility, everyone expects that we should be able to do miracles, and some people act like because they pay for your services through taxes that they are your boss/they own you.
    The other week i had some random hag shouting at me about waiting times for her next appointment. But would these people shout at their car mechanic about the cost of fuel these days? [ie shout at someone who has nothing to do with the problem, and can do nothing to fix it]
    grrrrrrr
    I'm really sorry If you want you can close the thread if its annoying I didn't mean to be hateful its just that my own dermatologist accused me of making my own condition worse by saying I never took my ointments....infact I did - its not my fault psoriasis is a hard condition to treat especially in young teenagers :bawling: but Jamie i'm really really sorry and I'm sorry to all others who I've offended xoxo

(Original post by Helenia)
    It makes me very sad to hear all this - I can honestly say I've never had anything bad from any of the medical professionals I've been to. Maybe it's because I'm inquisitive (and nowadays can talk to them almost on their level) or just a grin-and-bear-it type, but I've never had any of them be that rude to me!

I do agree with Fluffy though - if you stand up to them rather than being sullen, then you might well get more out of them. If you are really genuinely unsatisfied, then make a complaint!
    yeh i've never had anything really bad i have to say, though it used to annoy me when i get recurrent throat infections and everytime i went the GP he would simply say "its viral, just rest your voice".
    Mind you this GP waiting time thing is stu[id. its better that people have to wait 3/4 days for an appointment as it selects out the people who have just got the sniffles. There are few things that can't wait 4 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    grrrrrrr
    I want to study law, but you won't find me defending a bunch of pompous lawyers I don't know just because it's going to be my profession.

ReputationRep:
    yeah....when i had just hit 16 my doctors tried to persuade me to go on it and they ask me questions like 'do you smoke' etc every time i go into the doctors and they say its only for medical purposes to put in your file..... - the last doctor said that at my previous appointment yeah not all are like that at all Helenia but just a majority of them are unfortunately....only found 2 doctors in my lifetime who were really nice...... xoxo
    Those questions are for medical purposes to go on your file...you are at a higher risk of blood clots if you are on the pill and smoke. you have check ups to check you are having no problems, and to check your situation hasn't changed.

Why is this a problem?! they are doing their jobs! i'd be worried if they weren't.

ReputationRep:
    nah i think doctors are allright... like they make mistakes every now and then but who doesnt?
    dentists annoy me though... have been to a couple of not so nice ones.... one said he would take out 2 of my brothers teeth.... my brother came home with 8 teeth missing... the dentist said nothing...
    another used to shout at us for having small mouths :rolleyes:
    but then again, if i was in their shoes, i think i'd get annoyed at people too...

I'm really sorry If you want you can close the thread if its annoying I didn't mean to be hateful its just that my own dermatologist accused me of making my own condition worse by saying I never took my ointments....infact I did - its not my fault psoriasis is a hard condition to treat esoecially in young teenagers :bawling: but Jamie i'm really really sorry and I'm sorry to all others who I've offended xoxo
    dermatologists just get angsty because very little they do works, and the other docs wont let them give steroids (one thing that DOE work) for very long.

Then again, i do recall the story of a dermatologist calling this guy with herpes all over his face 'a bloody ******' - the guy had some mild rash on his leg so had been given steroid cream. then when h got a herpetic sore on his lip he tried putting the steroid cream on it. surprise surprise it got bigger, so he put more on, then more, and it grew and grew.
    eventually when he got to the doc this herpes had spread all the way up his face to his eye.
    silly billy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had a horrible Dr once when I was younger! She wouldn't listen to anything I said about my wrist and was mean

And then a Dr told me that my piercing was causing my urticaria, even though I told him that I got the urticaria before the piercing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    Those questions are for medical purposes to go on your file...you are at a higher risk of blood clots if you are on the pill and smoke. you have check ups to check you are having no problems, and to check your situation hasn't changed.

Why is this a problem?! they are doing their jobs! i'd be worried if they weren't.
    I meant I had two appointments they asked at my first appointment and my follow up appointment was 2 weeks prior to that and then they asked again....I didn't think I could take up smoking in 2 weeks and I had already told them I did not want to be on the pill as I am a quite religious person xoxo

(Original post by foxo)
    I want to study law, but you won't find me defending a bunch of pompous lawyers I don't know just because it's going to be my profession.
    no, but i would hope that once you actually have a job/get along the path a bit (rather than just an aspiration to study) you would be a bit defensive of your colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    dermatologists just get angsty because very little they do works, and the other docs wont let them give steroids (one thing that DOE work) for very long.

Then again, i do recall the story of a dermatologist calling this guy with herpes all over his face 'a bloody ******' - the guy had some mild rash on his leg so had been given steroid cream. then when h got a herpetic sore on his lip he tried putting the steroid cream on it. surprise surprise it got bigger, so he put more on, then more, and it grew and grew.
    eventually when he got to the doc this herpes had spread all the way up his face to his eye.
    silly billy.
    ya see my steriods all have stopped working again now I have to go and see her again on my birthday :bawling: (which is next tuesday) xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    no, but i would hope that once you actually have a job/get along the path a bit (rather than just an aspiration to study) you would be a bit defensive of your colleagues.
    You don't need to be angelical to be a doctor. Just look at Harold Shipman.

ReputationRep:
    I meant I had two appointments they asked at my first appointment and my follow up appointment was 2 weeks prior to that and then they asked again....I didn't think I could take up smoking in 2 weeks and I had already told them I did not want to be on the pill as I am a quite religious person xoxo
    They might not see that the appointment was only 2 weeks before, but equally, even if it was, of course you can take up smoking in 2 weeks!

Remember that doctors see hundreds of patients a week, they can't be expected to remember details of every case. I like to know my records are as up to date as possible. This means them asking questions that i answer, and it doesn't exactly take long does it!

I have had bad experiences of doctors (for example one diagnosing me with a stroke when i had tonsillitis!) but i know they are working hard and that one particular one was new and nervous, and there was a more experience one on hand to sort it out.

If you are as helpful as can be then the whole process will be easier for everyone!

firstly you can take up smoking in two weeks, and secondly we basically ask the same stuff everytime for several reasons
    1) often its not the same doc lol
    2) If you ask the same questions everytime, you'll sometimes ask a question you either missed, didnt record, something has changed etc from before. Like i once asked a guy if he smoked and he said no, few days later was clerking him and asked do you smoke anything and he says 'yeh, not ciggies, but do have a dozen or so spliffs a week'.
    3) you can never assume that what was written before is 100% accurate. nevver assume - it makes an ass out of you and me

etc etc.

basically they are a real drag, but very necessary to make sure big fubars dont happen.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.