Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by foxo)
    You don't need to be angelical to be a doctor. Just look at Harold Shipman.
    How in gods name does that work?
    because a few docs, nurses etc have turned out to be killers (in the case of shipman its questionable when he started killing, and why) that the med schools/nhs lets in nasty people?

I'm saying sure there are plenty of jaded, rude, arrogant etc docs, but in many cases when people go on a rant about the doc its because of lack of understanding on their part, not because of a failing on the doctors part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    You don't need to be angelical to be a doctor. Just look at Harold Shipman.
    I am not in any way defending what he did, it was completely abhorrent. BUT, Shipman's patients loved him - when they first started investigating him, the police got a whole load of crap because his patients were all defending him saying he'd never do anything like that. He was, to them, a very good doctor, it was just horrendous that he was also a mass murderer.

It does suck when doctors don't listen, but it's a two way process - sometimes if patients are really difficult and giving the dr a lot of hassle, they may not feel entirely inclined to be Florence Nightingale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    They might not see that the appointment was only 2 weeks before, but equally, even if it was, of course you can take up smoking in 2 weeks!

Remember that doctors see hundreds of patients a week, they can't be expected to remember details of every case. I like to know my records are as up to date as possible. This means them asking questions that i answer, and it doesn't exactly take long does it!

I have had bad experiences of doctors (for example one diagnosing me with a stroke when i had tonsillitis!) but i know they are working hard and that one particular one was new and nervous, and there was a more experience one on hand to sort it out.

If you are as helpful as can be then the whole process will be easier for everyone!
    I usually be as helpful as I can - if they ask me to bring in my ointments I will (they want to check if I have been using them or not) and then they write a repeat prescription even though the ointment doesn't seem to work xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    How in gods name does that work?
    because a few docs, nurses etc have turned out to be killers (in the case of shipman its questionable when he started killing, and why) that the med schools/nhs lets in nasty people?
    Yes, I'm sure they do let in some arrogant ******* doctors. Research showed that statistically, 1/3rd of medical students are bullied by senior doctors.

(Original post by foxo)
    Yes, I'm sure they do let in some arrogant ******* doctors. Research showed that statistically, 1/3rd of medical students are bullied by senior doctors.
    hmmm, well firstly alot of senior docs (as in real high levels) were taught themselves ina time when the bullying way of learning was more acceptable.
    largely its phasing out alot. senior female docs tho tend to be utter spawn of the devil because they had such a hard time getting where they are.

ReputationRep:
    Jamie's certianly doing everything he can to defend his profession . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    hmmm, well firstly alot of senior docs (as in real high levels) were taught themselves ina time when the bullying way of learning was more acceptable.
    largely its phasing out alot. senior female docs tho tend to be utter spawn of the devil because they had such a hard time getting where they are.
    Yeah, there are definitely two generations of female doctors - the ones only a couple of years older than me, who seem relatively nice and normal, and the older ones (40/50/60) who had to go through a lot worse to get where they are, and they're the successful ones so they're really tough. I quite like the ones I've met though, but can see how they could be intimidating. My Cambridge GP is one of them, won't take any crap off anyone, but I think she's cool and she talks to me on my level cos she knows I'm a medic. She might scare people who are less used to handling people like that though

(Original post by Euge)
    Jamie's certianly doing everything he can to defend his profession . . .
    I've already devoted 4 blooming years of my life to it, despite knowing i could have easily gone off and worked in the city or done law conversion and made loads of money etc.
    so im bound to be a bit defensive...

especially when theres a lawyer wannabe on the prowl.

(Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, there are definitely two generations of female doctors - the ones only a couple of years older than me, who seem relatively nice and normal, and the older ones (40/50/60) who had to go through a lot worse to get where they are, and they're the successful ones so they're really tough. I quite like the ones I've met though, but can see how they could be intimidating. My Cambridge GP is one of them, won't take any crap off anyone, but I think she's cool and she talks to me on my level cos she knows I'm a medic. She might scare people who are less used to handling people like that though
    Female GPs are an entirely different (and tamer) breed from hospital consultants....

ReputationRep:
    I can see where Jamies coming from backing his profession I would do the same as I want to do education either politically or by becoming a teacher - thats how I want to make a difference, and if someone would criticize a teachers decision for a certain coursework topic I could see why it was chosen etc xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    especially when theres a lawyer wannabe on the prowl.
    Hah.

I'm not trying to offend doctors. As I said, all the ones I've had were great. I'm just surprised that you're so quick to defend people who may well be nasty.

And, for what it's worth, I'm sure there is probably a much higher ratio of amoral, money grabbing lawyers than doctors.

ReputationRep:
    My new doctors in Sheffield are very nice but my old ones at home were rubbish. When I went to the doctors first about my bad periods and I'd been in constant pain and had fainting fits and stuff she said that girls moan far too much about nothing and that it'd get better when I had a baby. So she put me on the pill but i had problems on it and had to come off. When I came off she said well I'd have to grin and bear it and it was only a few days a month. Cheeky cow!!!! I'd like to see her have the periods I had back then and not moan about them. My mum was on some tablets and they were giving her weird side effects so she went to the doctor and the same doctor told her it was all in her mind. She only got taken off them when she saw someone else, since then my gran takes the same tablets and its listed as a possible side effect now on the packet.

If you don't have an affinity with people and don't have good people skills you shouldn't be a GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Female GPs are an entirely different (and tamer) breed from hospital consultants....
    I've only met one of them. She was very very scary, but quite nice to me (I was her secretary) unlike some of the men, who either never even gave me the time of day (I never saw 2 of them, despite having worked there 2 months) or just treated my like some skivvy, with the exception of the wonderful (and gorgeous) Mr Consultant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Mine is nice. I went and asked for the pill once, and she asked me if I had a bf and I said no (I couldn't lie) and then had a chat with me about why I wanted and convinced me calmly and nicely that really my periods weren't that bad. When I went back a year or so later (with a boyfriend in tow) she had a nice chat with us about sexual health and had no qualms about giving it to me then.

Also another doc at the surgery, (a man this time) made jokes when I showed him my infected toe, but also made me feel comfortable, not embarassed That was fun.

Actually, I think GPs are fun. Hospital docs ignore me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It does suck when doctors don't listen, but it's a two way process - sometimes if patients are really difficult and giving the dr a lot of hassle, they may not feel entirely inclined to be Florence Nightingale.

Isn't she reputed to have been a cold, A1 b!tch? Bring on Mary Seacole!

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    I want to study law, but you won't find me defending a bunch of pompous lawyers I don't know just because it's going to be my profession.
    Yes, I find it quite bizarre myself. It's as though they feel you're offending them personally. I don't think potential teachers and lawyers feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    It is offensive (not sure if others feel the same - maybe its cos im in clinical medicine and am around the hospital all the time).
    Actually not so much offensive as irritating - we have this massive burden of responsibility, everyone expects that we should be able to do miracles, and some people act like because they pay for your services through taxes that they are your boss/they own you.
    The other week i had some random hag shouting at me about waiting times for her next appointment. But would these people shout at their car mechanic about the cost of fuel these days? [ie shout at someone who has nothing to do with the problem, and can do nothing to fix it]
    grrrrrrr
    'Random Hag'????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Yes, I find it quite bizarre myself. It's as though they feel you're offending them personally. I don't think potential teachers and lawyers feel the same way.
    I can understand it - if someone says that they find "the majority" of doctors rude, then if you are doctor, you would be upset that someone assumed without meeting you personally that you would also be rude. It's annoying to be stereotyped or tarred with the same brush. I think that is what Jamie is trying to divert.

The same goes for any profession, i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    the human body is blooming complex. its pretty standard practice to give a standard plaster cast then mainpulate it a few weeks laster in order to get it to set right.

I personally think half you people have no idea of medicine, particularly no idea of the limitations, and have been brainwashed by the likes of casualty, ER and co.
    That's kind of patronising. A lot of assumptions there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    'Random Hag'????
    That sort of startled me as well.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.