Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know the system is not perfect, but are your parents in a position where by they could have afforded healthcare otherwise.

The NHS might well be a lot of things, but at least it's free at point of use.

ReputationRep:
    So its free which excuses it being crap.
    No they don't earn enough (and certainly not now mum can't work, NHS pension doesn't pay that much from her old job) to blow thousands on private health care but I think if you pay into the system you have a right to good health care mum and dad both worked since the age of 16 and have paid into the system since then. Simply giving someone repeat prescriptions for painkillers for 9 yrs isn't good health care. Surely medicine could possibly have advanced enough in that time for them to at least re consider her information and maybe be able to say that her disability was caused by ________.Or at least offer her some sort of access to a support group where she could deal with it, she tries not to let on but i know that she gets very upset and depressed quite often because even after all this time she is frustrated with her limitations.
    From my point of view it just seems to be a case of we don't know whats wrong with you so go away.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not an excuse, but it's better than the American system...

Things go wrong, and unforuntately some people attract more 'bad luck' than others. It doesn't mean that we do not have a health service that is the envy of other countries. I mean, just look at the number of health tourists we attract Actually on a more serious note consider the number of ex-pats who 'maintain' an address in the UK so that they can access the NHS. I met one family while on my last placement who have a son with CF - they moved to Spain hoping the climate would have a beneficial effect, but wanted their son to carry on being treated at the CF unit he attending in the UK. Baiscally, according to his dad, the weather has had no effect and he gets as many pseudo infections as he ever got in the UK. His 'offical' address is his grandmothers, and everytime he gets ill his family have to decamp to the UK.

As harsh as it may seem, for every 'horrific' NHS case, there are often many more 'fantastic' ones. The media aren't interestedin happy stories though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeKitten)
    I don't think it's your strong point either as I have already pointed out.
    And I think your agruement is weak. Who is right? In reality who cares as they're both representative of peoples real views.

It's just that you seem to have some massive insight from somewhere that qualifies you to call me a jerk [ :rolleyes: ]. I'd love to know from where.

ReputationRep:
    you guys watch "House", man that doctor is smart ass but really rude.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i've had a bad doctor or dentist. I had a doctor who was particularly nice, there were so many complaints about her only being temporary that they made her permanant at our local surgery. My orthodontist wasn't particularly horrible but spoke down to me as if i was 5 years old, which really annoyed me. My brother had to change dentists because he was so terrified of ours but he's not horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    And I think your agruement is weak. Who is right? In reality who cares as they're both representative of peoples real views.

It's just that you seem to have some massive insight from somewhere that qualifies you to call me a jerk [ :rolleyes: ]. I'd love to know from where.
    I'm surprised you, of all people, are adopting this line of argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    yeh i've never had anything really bad i have to say, though it used to annoy me when i get recurrent throat infections and everytime i went the GP he would simply say "its viral, just rest your voice".
    thats the only reason why i had to go the doc TWICE in the last 4 years... and it really pissed me off when they jus said there is no treatment... sadly i also knew the reason why :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I can't see anywhere where Fluffy has been doing that :confused:
    I think she's being unnecessarily aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    So its free which excuses it being crap.
    No they don't earn enough (and certainly not now mum can't work, NHS pension doesn't pay that much from her old job) to blow thousands on private health care but I think if you pay into the system you have a right to good health care mum and dad both worked since the age of 16 and have paid into the system since then. Simply giving someone repeat prescriptions for painkillers for 9 yrs isn't good health care. Surely medicine could possibly have advanced enough in that time for them to at least re consider her information and maybe be able to say that her disability was caused by ________.Or at least offer her some sort of access to a support group where she could deal with it, she tries not to let on but i know that she gets very upset and depressed quite often because even after all this time she is frustrated with her limitations.
    From my point of view it just seems to be a case of we don't know whats wrong with you so go away.
    It's not 'free' either. It's funded by something called taxation.

ReputationRep:
    My dentist used to be horrible to me...then she left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    I think she's being unnecessarily aggressive.
    I think you're searching through the thread to find bits and bobs you can use to start the argument all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think you're searching through the thread to find bits and bobs you can use to start the argument all over again.
    And I think you're a tad biased.
    (So, no change there then)

I've actually been following the thread from the beginning and have contributed several times.

(What is this? The Birth of the Medic Mafia or something?)

Yes, I find it quite bizarre myself. It's as though they feel you're offending them personally. I don't think potential teachers and lawyers feel the same way.
    well as the closest anyone on here is to actually becoming a lawyer or teacher is that they MIGHT be starting uni in summer, i don't think its a fair comparison. I'm about to start my 5th year, am somewhat more deeply invested into my chosen career.

Grab Lawz in here and start off on one about lawyers for a comparison

'Random Hag'????
    yes,
    Hag - a not too nice old lady.
    Random - i didn't have a clue who she was.

That's kind of patronising. A lot of assumptions there.
    So where does your knowledge of medical procedures, hospital life etc come from? Because people seem to feel qualified to comment on it, but the closest they have gotten is generally fictional TV programmes.
    ER has realistic conditions but is way too dramatic and people recover from a code way too easily. Holby city and casualty...well...
    still love em tho...

(Original post by viviki)
    I agree it is patronising. i don't know much about medicine but I know when someone is rude to me, or when my appointment time is hopelessly long.
    Who are you meant to complain to other than the person you see and hope they pass it on.
    My dad was meant to have a hernia op and it was meant to be done within 6 months and it took years. He was complaining to the GP and the consultant and each were blaming the other. It was only when he emailed the person who does statistics for waiting times in our area (because he clearly wasn't included on it) that something was done. You can't even complain to the hospital if you don't know which hospital your operation will take place in.

I'm not saying that it is the individual doctors fault all the time but theres definitely some problems with the NHS its ridiculous that the service you receive down to how long you have to wait for things like scans (For example my mum had to wait 9 months for an MRI scan but my friend had one done within 2 months) seem to depend on what surgery you go to. And yes the doctors are probably the ones that get it in the neck cos they are on the front line but thats the way it goes.

Perfect examples actually of why you guys criticise docs unfairly.

Scans for instance. The waiting list for most MRI scanners is over a year. Thats because we don't have enough scanners, nor doctors who can understand the scans (MRIs are vvv hard to read). So we have to prioritise. When someone presents with something and you don't think theres much, you wack them on the MRI list to placate tham, but tell them its going to be 6 months to a year.
    I you actually think you'll find something, you jump the queue some months. Alot of docs would simply have told your mum there was nothing to be found by MRI give her a cursary CT scan (small waiting times, easy for any doc to read, and only costs a few hundred a go rather than thousands) and send her on her way.

And hernia ops. They aren't urgent. Yes they sometimes hurt a little bit, but they really are only urgent if there is a risk of strangulating the bowel. Clerical errors, and screw ups happen, which is why some people wait years (one woman i followed had been left 3 years waiting for a 'simple' heart valve op because her file had been misplaced). IT doesn't help that the NHS in an effort to save money sends files over to india to be transcribed (i kid you not).

(Original post by red_roadkill)
    Doctors in general (I'm not saying all or the majority) tend to have massive superiority and self-satisfied issues. I worked on a hospital ward as a caterer in year 12 at weekends and some of the doctors were blatantly rude to me - kind of looked down a bit on me. One complete ***** came into the ward kitchen and said "2 teas no sugar quickly" and I went "err, my job isn't to wait on you - you know where the tea and coffee is" and she complained to my boss about me! The student doctors/newly qualified ones were the WORST for arrogance. How sad.
    student docs lol?
    Gosh, we're the ones who try to chat up every member of staff because we are so damned useless and run around like lost sheep.
    Not sure what your hospital was like, but in all the ones here caterers are horrible phillipeno immigrants who are ridiculously rude to the patients and in a permanent sulk.

(Original post by * gemchicken *)
    My Mam had been suffering from pain in her abdomen since about May last year. She had to go to the doctors 1-2 times a week. After seeing loads of doctors and being told she had everything from IBS to 'there's nothing wrong with you - go home' it wasn't til November that a doctor actually got her on the bed and felt her abdomen. This is when he felt a growth, sent her to hospital that night and she needs scans and tests until she had an operation. It turned out she had tumours on each ovary, one 8cm and one 12cm :eek: How can a doctor who has trained for many years miss this? If a doctor had taken the time to feel her abdomen in May, then she wouldn't have had to suffer in such pain for all them months. Thank god the tumours were not cancerous, but if they were then I dread to think how far it could have spread in that time.

To be honest, most doctors I meet are OK, and before Jamie and Helenia think I'm insulting them, I honestly am not. I'm just asking those who are training in medicine, how it could have taken so long for the doctors to actually have a feel and find the problem? It's pretty bad service my Mam recieved, and as well as being physically damaging, she was worrying about her mind, as she was constantly being told she had nothing wrong. I just think that some doctors lack maybe the 'common sense' and rely on past cases. I mean how hard would it have been to ask my Mam to hop on the bed and let them see if they can fele anything?
    Tumours grow. Its what they do. If they had felt in may (which i'll bet they probablary did really) they undoubtabley wouldn't have felt anything. The ovaries are certainly not the easiest of things to palpate! And going to the doctors multiple times a week actually is a worse idea than waiting a couple of weeks and going back - because they will assume the patient is a hypochondriac, converting, or is depressed or something.
    But if she did go back that many times and saw several docs then its a great case in point of why docs should ask the same questions time and time again, and do the same physicals time and time again. Because undoubtably the reason that was missed was someone would have looked in her files seen her history and physical exam was reviously clear and assumed it still would be.

Hope your mum is all fine and dandy these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    So where does your knowledge of medical procedures, hospital life etc come from? Because people seem to feel qualified to comment on it, but the closest they have gotten is generally fictional TV programmes.
    ER has realistic conditions but is way too dramatic and people recover from a code way too easily. Holby city and casualty...well...
    still love em tho...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=76

Lovely ward - S4!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.