Turn on thread page Beta

What people think of muslim women covering themselves watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gayboy09)
    Yes you are a woman, a woman implying post 18, a post 18 year old you does not have a good grasp of grammar and can not spell.

If you really were a muslim (which you are not), my instinct says you are of asian origin. As asians do the best in exams in this country as they value education, you seem to be an anomylous result.
    In fact, I think you are a white person trying to create a race hate scandal, and this is not good.

I do apologise if you are a true muslim, but it seems doubtful as why would someone with a deep faith intend to hear views of other people.
    I also think that the user tried to create race hate. But cnt assume this person's race, religion. If you look at her posts, they are only in this thread. This might mean, he/she created new account just for this thread and hasnt been posting since 17-12-2003. Of course this person could have died (not)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    I think that if a woman wants to cover herself - let her do it, not really our place to say no. However I do sligtly object to the full covering of a girl (where you can just about see her eyes) in the UK, what is the point? :confused: The whole idea of covering yourself is not to attract attention - dressing in such away attracts a lot more attention in the western world
    it would attract attention everywhere in the world...its strange...

ReputationRep:
    Its clear to be that some people are judging islam by what they know and understand (which is the usually way to start off), but the problem with this is that if something differs from what u know and understand that something has a habit of being strange/wrong or just plan unusual (which is evident when you look at peoples reaction to a mentally ill e.g. a schizophrenic person behaving as they would, which to them is perfectly normal but very strange us).

What im saying is that you wouldn’t expect a person who knows absolutely nothing about gymnastics to be a judge at the Olympics?

So what im saying is its kidda hard to understand the covering up of women in islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vp03)
    I also think that the user tried to create race hate. But cnt assume this person's race, religion. If you look at her posts, they are only in this thread. This might mean, he/she created new account just for this thread and hasnt been posting since 17-12-2003. Of course this person could have died (not)
    I think you are right. I mean where has the person gone? she hasn't been keeping track of the thread has s/he?

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's their choice to cover themselves. Also, it's a tradition thing, I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sana Hussain)
    What do you lot think of a muslim woman covering herself ????
    Espiacally when she is wearing a scraf????
    DO YOU KNOW WHY THEY COVER THEM SELVES?????

i just want to see what other people think???????
    as i already know the answer, as i am a muslim woman.
    I think its cool. Very Grace Kelly. I think its great they do it becuase its what they believe in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    However I do sligtly object to the full covering of a girl (where you can just about see her eyes) in the UK, what is the point? :confused: The whole idea of covering yourself is not to attract attention - dressing in such away attracts a lot more attention in the western world
    If they want to do this over here it's up to them, but if you have moved out of say Saudi Arabia, no one is going to stop you changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    it doesnt say in the quran that women cover there heads, but it does say that cover anything that can attract you to a man when outdoors near strangers. In other words your body, hair and face. True muslims cover everything.
    No offence, but that is utter nonsense. And you know it.

And it is not obvious "in other words" that they should cover everything. That is your words. I bet all muslims derive different meanings and interpretations from the Quran. The Quran (Islam) is far less restrictive than you permit it to be.

True muslims are rightous. Good people with good hearts who are more consumed by being just that rather than going into nitpicking on things which have no quranic reference. It is not about covering your face or hair. Then men too should cover their beauty then. Are you now going to say men are not handsome? Some at least. That females can not become aroused and thus inclined to pursue him based on his looks? You will find that most quranic laws apply to both men and women. Not just women.

Let me illustrate at least 2 problems with your opinion. Because that is what it is. Opinion and it sure as hell is not Islam even if you have been brainwashed into thinking so. With all due respect,

Problem 1) The Hadiths which are the main origin of veils, "only" states that everything BUT your hands and face should be covered.

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; ..()" 24:31

Ordinarily (albeit an edition to the original Quranic verse by scholars) is important here.

Problem 2) Covering one's head and hair is actually an ancient JEWISH tradition. In other words you are imitating jews (read Kafirs/non muslims to you) and there are sahih hadiths which prohibit imitation of other people's customs.

"He is not one of us, he who imitates others. Do not imitate either the Jews or the Christians." [Reported by ImamsTermithy & Abu-Dawd]

The prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) said to one of his companions when he saw him wearing two colored garments, "These are the clothes of the kufar and you must not wear them again." [Reported by Imam Muslim]

Problem 3) Islam says cover your beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for your information it says nothing what so ever on which parts it wants you to cover. I suggest you look up verse 26 in Sura(chapter) 7. You will find it says the BEST of GARMENTS to cover are those of rightousness.

O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition! (7:26)

Problem 4) Niqaab (covering your face) is utterly and totally a traidtion of jahiliyah and culture. It has no root, support or origin in Islam. Nor does Hijab. In fact I can tell you that the word "hijab" is used exactly 7 times in the Quran and no where is it mentioned in relation to covering one self.

So by all means wear whatever you wish. That is your choice. But stop justifying it by claiming it is Islam. And stop passing judgements over other muslims. Only God can judge and he unlike many muslims, is far more merciful and forgiving. Besides, you appear to have little idea of what your own faith says and I am pretty sure it does not permit you to judge who is a true muslim or not. Focus on yourself rather than on others. Arrogance and pride is not becoming of muslims. You ought to know that.

Ignorance is the number one problem in the Muslim community. People are brainswashed and nobody understands what what their faith actually says on the topic and little less are they inclined to look up the matter. If you can read, you have no excuse not to read your own book. Listening to scholars and imams is one thing. But these are men (how convenient) and not infallible. Believing blindly without verification too is breaking your God's command.

"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them." 17:36

I would suggest the muslim females who seem so much in favour of head covering, need to read up on their faith. I suggest this link - with some reservation.

http://www.free-minds.org/women/scarf.htm

Look at the evidence and verify.

ReputationRep:
    I think its great coz I dont have to look at them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    I agree with u here
    There have been many threads on similar topics and I have already said a lot...
    Practice ur religion and try to follow all the commands Allah has sent....Follow the Quran and sunnah....and if u r really a true muslim u will try and cover up the most in order to please Allah and have a big reward on the day of judgement!

Like I said..lots can be said and has already been said...and this is a very old thread anyway....
    That is nice. Because God (Allah) does not agree with you on this matter. (see my previous post.

This is NOT a command of God but a command of Al Muslim, Al Bukhari (mere men and hadith compilers).

God is still alive. You need not judge who is a true Muslim. The main task for all muslims is to focus on being a good muslim rather than lecturing otehr on rewards for keeping non existing commands and judging others just because they do not follow jahilliyah (ignorance and rules made hereof).

Strive to do your best and leave the rest to themselves.

Why is it that many (not all) muslims, are sadly, so occupied with enforcing their beliefs on otehrs and judging others? Surely is that not God's Job?

Live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    honestly, i can't see y u guys make such an issue about someone covering her head with a scarf. it's her choice and is not affecting anyone. Religious freedom is part of democracy and expressing ur religious belief is ur right, as long as it's not an offence to anyone. I've got friends, cousins who wear the scarf and others who don't. in my country, it's not an issue at all. It's acceptable for nuns to wear their religious outfit anywhere in the world. So, it should be acceptable for muslim women to wear their hijaab too. right guys? The real issue is that, if it's someone's choice to wear it, then she can wear it but if she doesn't want to, it's her choice. Noone should impose it on her to wear it...and noone should force her to remove it. one thing i'm very happy about is that we live in such a world where we can express our opinions freely. Long live the Western Democracy for giving us that freedom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sana Hussain)
    What do you lot think of a muslim woman covering herself ????
    Espiacally when she is wearing a scraf????
    DO YOU KNOW WHY THEY COVER THEM SELVES?????

i just want to see what other people think???????
    as i already know the answer, as i am a muslim woman.
    it must get really hot in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhad1985)
    honestly, i can't see y u guys make such an issue about someone covering her head with a scarf. it's her choice and is not affecting anyone. Religious freedom is part of democracy and expressing ur religious belief is ur right, as long as it's not an offence to anyone. I've got friends, cousins who wear the scarf and others who don't. in my country, it's not an issue at all. It's acceptable for nuns to wear their religious outfit anywhere in the world. So, it should be acceptable for muslim women to wear their hijaab too. right guys? The real issue is that, if it's someone's choice to wear it, then she can wear it but if she doesn't want to, it's her choice. Noone should impose it on her to wear it...and noone should force her to remove it. one thing i'm very happy about is that we live in such a world where we can express our opinions freely. Long live the Western Democracy for giving us that freedom!

I think you are misinterpreting things here. Nobody is speaking against wearing it. However, my point is, that islam has not commanded this or made this compulsory or even mentioned it. It has no support in the Quran what so ever.

http://www.irfi.org/thepeoplewhothin...n_mandator.htm

So the question is why muslims are claiming it is. The girls in France claim its religion and thus they MUST wear it, when in truth it not an islamic command or law.

You talk about religious freedom. Yes all for it. But the point is why people persist it is a religious thing when it is not. Do you think it is unfair to enlight Muslims on what their actual rights is and what their faith really says? I am not pro-religious brainwashing, such as the one sanctioned and implemented by most Muslim scholars, ijimaah, ulema. It is proposterous that the people who are meant to guide people are creating laws which is only God's authority.

I think the question here is rather - do you opt for the truth or would you rather go on letting your cousins do what they do and not enlight them? Is that right? Sending out fatwas on this topic is such as horrible. Threatning women to wear this is too. Most girls I know wear this out of force or this belief that their faith tells them. Do you find anything at all wrong with practicing something which is not supported by your faith?

Religous freedom is letting people wear what they want. If God wanted women to cover their heads, he would have said so in no un clear terms.

More information on the exact quranic references can be found here or see my post on the bottom of page 10:

http://www.free-minds.org/women/scarf.htm

I regret that Muslims have no desire to practice their actual faith but more caught up in what various men have to say on this topic and for forcing others to act like they do or want and for judging other Muslims for not observing a non existing command. Jahillyah (ignorance) is clearly a deeply rooted problem. That is a shame.

Should we also let men beat their wives, because they think their faith says so in the name of religious freedom? Or let people kill girls in the name of honour? Where is your desire to learn about your faith instead of defending what is clearly wrong?

That is why I support the french government in their laws against covering head for girls. I call headcover for Muslim females hypocracy and suppression in the name of selfish men who think it is manly to demand this of their women. Girls, women are passed over for marriage everyday because the groom thinks he wants a girl who wear head cover. I would say that girl is better off without such an ignorant person. I think you overestimate the consequences of this head cover. In Iran women are put in prison and beaten should they be found in public without headcover. I Saudia Arabia you are pretty unlucky to be born a girl. You migth as well be a prisoner. And this despite islam sayings:

Let there be no compulsion in religion (2:256)

I have no problem with religion. I have a problem with people lying about things and adhering to manmade customs when they claim to be believers. It doesn't make sense you see. But I guess talking the truth is frowned upon nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    However, my point is, that islam has not commanded this or made this compulsory or even mentioned it. It has no support in the Quran what so ever.
    [24:31] And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms [...]

ReputationRep:
    I am one hundred percent behind a persons free choice to wear them but when they sue the government and agencies over being forced to take them off for passport pictures and security documents they go to far and need to realize the possible consequences of allowing them to keep them on in these special situations.

ReputationRep:
    what annoys me about the french rules against the hijab is that its supposedly there (as i understand it) to prevent ppl from physically 'advertising' their way of life, and to prevent it influencing other ppl's choices on how they live their lives... But what about the constant 'advertisements' of the western way of life....through hollywood, the fashion industry, and so on? surely all these mediums should be banned as well, cos its advertising a way of life to ppl.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafiees)
    what annoys me about the french rules against the hijab is that its supposedly there (as i understand it) to prevent ppl from physically 'advertising' their way of life, and to prevent it influencing other ppl's choices on how they live their lives... But what about the constant 'advertisements' of the western way of life....through hollywood, the fashion industry, and so on? surely all these mediums should be banned as well, cos its advertising a way of life to ppl.......
    well then we would have to ban al jazeera, bollywood movies and your magazine and fashion..... your being stupid here... sure the french law is taken a bit too far but you cannot relate that to how hollywood ad fashion show the western culture...

ReputationRep:
    no...i dont see how i am being stupid here......and yes...if the french want to be unbiased, then they should ban al jazeera, bollywood movies and so on. i think children are more influenced by what they see on tv and in magazines than they are by seeing someone wear a hijab....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafiees)
    no...i dont see how i am being stupid here......and yes...if the french want to be unbiased, then they should ban al jazeera, bollywood movies and so on. i think children are more influenced by what they see on tv and in magazines than they are by seeing someone wear a hijab....
    Maybe they are influenced by what they see but if i have kids i would much rather have them watch sesame street and western shows because most of them have no religous undertones....... if the french wanna ban religious head wear whos to stop them

ReputationRep:
    what are you talking about.....if the reason behind banning religious symbols is to prevent them from influencing ppl's ways of life, surely all such symbols should be banned.... including those advertising a western way of life. they can't be selective in what they want ppl to be influenced by....

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.