Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what the average number of open days is usual. I'm planning to go to 5.

ReputationRep:
    I went to 5. I ended up choosing 2 universities out of the 5 to put in my UCAS form, and the other 3 are just reading up on the websites to see which ones are good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I went to 5. I ended up choosing 2 universities out of the 5 to put in my UCAS form, and the other 3 are just reading up on the websites to see which ones are good.
    is it safe to do that?? have you been to the other unis yet??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    is it safe to do that?? have you been to the other unis yet??
    It's safe to that in my opinion. I read loads of information from subject leaflets/brochures, university's website, prospectuses, league tables,and other websites about the university that I found on google. The firm and insurance choice I chose is the uni's I went to for an open day.

ReputationRep:
    I will prolly be going to about 2 of them, plus one by correspondence.

Most likely La Trobe University (in Melbourne), UC (Uni of Canberra) and poss Newcastle NSW (by correspondence! ).

Seriously looking into studying MSc Physiotherapy next year!! That's if I can even get in :rolleyes: V. competitive

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest, I didn't go to any open days. How awful of me!

I'd been to Bath for the UCAS convention, and I loved it there so I put it down on my form. Other than that, I applied to Reading after going there for my Dad's graduation from his MBA, and I thought it was very pretty and they accepted students onto their computer science course without A-Level maths. I also applied to Royal Holloway after a good look through their brochure and a long talk with my chemistry tutor who studied there a few years ago (he's quite young). Then I just applied to Cardiff, UWE and Portsmouth to fill up my form, with no intention of going there.

I did eventually get to see Cardiff, and had a better look around Bath at my interviews.

So yeah, that's my highly scientific method. It seems to have worked for me, anyway

ReputationRep:
    I went to one of the Oxford colleges for the day, and to Reading, and to an open day/interview session at Warwick. Didn't have the money to go to the northern ones!

ReputationRep:
    i went to all the ones i had offers from, which was 6. Accept i never ended up going to see manchester because they sent their offer really late and it just seemed too late in the day to go visit. I needed to make my choice.

So i went to 5 in the end.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    One of my choices I visited twice before I applied and once after (not just open days - they were more like "taster days") and another on an engineering taster scheme thing which also wasn't technically an open day but I did get to see round. The others I visited on open days/interview days after I applied - 6 universities in total.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    I went to Royal Holloway, Sussex, Kent, UEA, Birmingham, Exeter and Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    I went to Royal Holloway, Sussex, Kent, UEA, Birmingham, Exeter and Leeds.
    wow thats quite a few!

ReputationRep:
    1 - Oxford and decided not to apply there

ReputationRep:
    Seven (I think) normal pre-application open days, a subject day at Oxbridge (held at Cambridge but for both universities), college open days at both Oxford and Cambridge, two interviews (one including a sort of post-application open day), and two more post-application days. So, lots. The only university to which I applied without visiting was Edinburgh, because they had their open day on the same day as one of my exams, and it's a bloody long way to go just for a brief look around. I went to their post-application day instead, to help me decide where I most wanted to go.

ReputationRep:
    I think I only went to one - Bristol - and I hated it. I'd already seen Southampton before.

ReputationRep:
    0. I wish I could of, but it was too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    wow thats quite a few!
    Hehe, yeah but that's two years worth of applications!

ReputationRep:
    I went to 5. I'm not even going to university anymore! What a waste of time! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm well relieved! I thought I was the only one who was only going to like one or two. I was planning on going to about 4/5 but my parents(i.e my free lift) quite obviously couldn't really be bothered to go, so I'm going to Exeter for a mini break/open day in September with my mum and I'm hitching a lift with my friend to Sheffield. I will leave the other 4 up to fate, its more exciting that way :b

ReputationRep:
    I've been to pre-application open days at Royal Holloway and Cambridge but the others are quite far away, so I'll just use the prospectuses, course brochures and websites to decide which ones to apply to and then visit them on post-application days if I get offers.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.