The Student Room Group

FP2 OR FP3? Reply from Edexcel!

I have put a question by e-mail to Edexcel, and received a sensible reply!

Question:
"How can FP2 and FP3 be alternatives when the content of FP2 (for example hyperbolic functions) is a prerequisite for FP3?"

Reply:
"Regarding your query concerning FP2 and FP3, I would agree with you that they aren't really alternatives.

When the specifications were recently revised and C1-C4 introduced, QCA allowed us the option of a Further Mathematics combination which included FP1 and FP3 but not FP2; centres had been asking for this anyway when the units were called P4 and P6. It's down to centres what they want to teach and enter their candidates for.

A pre-requisite to FP3 says that a knowledge of hyperbolic functions is assumed; these would normally be covered in the study of FP2 but students who miss that unit would be expected to make up that section from FP2 separately."

Nice to get a clear and honest answer.

Aitch
Reply 1
So that means I can do FP1, FP2 + 4 applied units; FP1, FP3 + 4 applied units or FP1, FP2, FP3 + 3 applied units?
Reply 2
ssmoose
So that means I can do FP1, FP2 + 4 applied units; FP1, FP3 + 4 applied units or FP1, FP2, FP3 + 3 applied units?

Yes.

Spec:
from
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/83441/GCE_Mathematics_Specification.pdf

9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics
Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding C1—C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications units (excluding C1—C4) to make a total of six units. Candidates who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit results from 12 different teaching modules.

The e-mail makes it clear that if you choose to do FP1 and FP3, without FP2, it is up to you to still learn the parts of FP2 which are pre-requisites for FP3!

Aitch
Reply 3
In my opinion you should do all three.
Reply 4
Galois
In my opinion you should do all three.

I agree. I was pleased to see a representative of Edexcel concede that FP2 and FP3 are not really alternatives, in as much as you need to do at least some of FP2 before you can do FP3.

Aitch
Reply 5
Indeed there isnt much point of doing fp1 and fp3 if you haev to teach yourself parts of fp2 aswell, why not just do all three probaly easier and tbh pure is way better than applied anyway :biggrin:
Reply 6
Plus, say you just do FP1 and FP3, after having done FP3, you might look over some questions that appear on the FP2 paper and it may bother you (it would bother me) that you could not do them.
Reply 7
Yeah but if you take fp2, fp3 and an applied unit and for example got 53 in fp2, 88 in fp3 and 90 in the applied unit it's gonna help your grade. Only problem is some places may not be willing to let you take the extra applied unit without being taught it. (Though hopefully you would have had a look over it and done some practice)
You only need to know a little about hyperbolic functions from FP2, most of the stuff in FP3 is new.

Latest