The Student Room Group

Nasty vaginal odour...lost tampon

Sorry to be gross but i've been getting really bad, almost rotten smells, and watery discharge coming out whenever I stand up from laying or sitting down. This has been going on for 3-4 days.
I thought maybe it was bacterial vaginosis, and made an appointment with my doc. i'll be going tomorrow afternoon but today i started getting awful cramps and started bleeding (my period finished 9 days ago!) i inserted a tampon and got on with things, but cramping has been pretty bad tonight, and when changing my tampon, i noticed a second older tampon!?? When i removed it there was the foulest of smells,.. obviously i'm relieved to find the cause of the smell, but i'm so scared about TSS and other infections!? I'm not using tampons again until i've seen my doc, but is there anything else i should do in the mean time??? I know the symptoms of TSS and watch to watch out for, how common is it?!?

Its been probably 8 days since the last day I would have used a tampon. I'm mortified, What makes it worse, is I've had sex between that timeframe. My boyfriend didn't notice anything unusual.

Ugh, anyone been in the same situation?? I feel so stupid!!!

Scroll to see replies

If you've not got major symptoms of TSS right now, you should be okay. It's probably just an infection :smile:
Reply 2
I found this on another website:

If you think you have a stuck tampon, a bath may dislodge it and bring it down far enough for you to “push” it out then grab the disgusting thing and throw it in the toilet.

You are doing the right thing going to the doctor though. You need to get that thing out!
lol at some of the responses.
Don't worry too much, explain it all to the doctor (hopefully he wont pass out). But seriously, how could you not have remembered you left one there long enough for.... ah never mind.
:facepalm:
Reply 4
Jsyk my best friends auntie is a GP and she was telling us about this before, she sees it alot so i dont think its much to worry about, if youve already got it out.
Reply 5
How did you manage to forget it was in there? Also, why was there 8 days between you using tampons? :lolwut: Do you have really frequent periods or something?

Anyway, it's probably an infection, you would have noticed TSS most likely. Go to your doctor, and be really careful next time.
seriously...most of you guys are completley insensitive and downright rude
It figures most of the useless comments have come from males

the op posted a serious concern, and since boys wont realise how serious toxic shock syndrome is they shouldnt bother replying, or should look it up and then give a constructive response. Some types of tampons can be left in a max of 8 hours, and a busy life style, no pain/cramping and given how unnoticable they can be, makes it easy to forget sometimes.

OP...if you have a docs app tomrw you should most def tell them everything...in the meantime, since you dont know for sure if its just an infection or anything else..the safest bet would be an emergency walk in centre..symptoms of toxic shock syndrome can come on hours later and come on really suddenly.
If theres no one around who doesnt know what been happening it can delay treatment.

I know its embarrasing, most private health issues like this are...but you come first, so swallow the bullet and get it checked over asap
:hugs:
Where the hell was the tampon hiding for over a week and you didn't feel it?

And having sex? really? that's just strange, but yeh u probs have an infection, i think your lucky its not been worse.
Well, I've heard of people leaving them in much longer than that, like the whole month :frown: I don't know how you'd not notice. I doubt you'll get TSS from it, but it does sound like you've got another infection :s-smilie: uurggghh.
Reply 9
Now i'm seriously grossed out...maybe you should stick to sanitary towels in future.
I'm gonna sound dumb, but whats TSS?
betheliza
I found this on another website:

If you think you have a stuck tampon, a bath may dislodge it and bring it down far enough for you to “push” it out then grab the disgusting thing and throw it in the toilet.

Why would you even need to do that? Just take it out with your fingers :s-smilie:
lost15
Now i'm seriously grossed out...maybe you should stick to sanitary towels in future.
I'm gonna sound dumb, but whats TSS?

Toxic Shock Syndrome..
Scares the crap outta me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_shock_syndrome
nolongerhearthemusic
Why would you even need to do that? Just take it out with your fingers :s-smilie:

Can you get as far as a guy's penis would with your fingers? :s-smilie:
(as in it was obviously further up if her boyfriend didn't notice anything while having sex.)
Reply 13
Mooncup is the answer in the future! That won't decompose inside you! :smile:

Seriously though OP, if it was TTS, you'd probably be in a very serious hospitalised condition by now - from what I heard TSS sets in very quickly, so its most likely just an infection.

Get to the GP :smile:
Reply 14
Lol at some of these responses. I'm really squeamish but I didn't cringe at your question. I'm more worried about you. I don't think it's TSS because it's meant to be really bad is it not? And it would have gotten seriously bad by this point yeah? Probably an infection from having something bloody and moist up there. Your doctor should sort it out. Until then...wash yourself really well? Good luck OP. I really feel for you! :console:
supergirl89
Can you get as far as a guy's penis would with your fingers? :s-smilie:
(as in it was obviously further up if her boyfriend didn't notice anything while having sex.)

I'm almost completely sure I could get anything in my vagina out with my fingers. And I would think his penis went next to it, since vaginas aren't as long as a penis plus more :s-smilie:
I don't think it'd be that difficult to forget a tampon, really. Don't worry OP, it's not as uncommon as this little cross-section of people would make you believe! I believe it's also relatively common for girls to manage to have sex without realising it's up there, although personally I find that a little weird (but I haven't tried it - and won't be... - so who knows eh?).

Anyway OP, you'd know if you've contracted TSS, so as others have said you probably just have an infection. The cramping and bleeding is worrying though, do you mean that was induced by the lost tampon, or you were due a period? As a period every 8 days seems very frequent. Anyway, as you're going to the doctor's tomorrow try not to worry! I'm sure they'll have seen it all before.

Hope it works out ok OP!
for gods sake get yourself on a birth control that will stop your periods.. like, now!.
old tampon inside euww.

just go doctors see what they have 2 say.
Reply 19
Not sure if its toxic shock, there are only about 40 cases each year but definitely get it checked out by a doc as its imperative you deal with it immediately, early treatment often leads to easy recovery. I understand half or so of cases are related to tampon use anyway, though most symptoms are flu-like, you know diarrhea, rashes, high-fevers and stuff like that. But for safety, its best you keep the tampon removed, at least until after you have checked it out with the doc.

Latest