Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just because you don't agree with the ideology of your country/Empire doesn't permit you to attack it and kill innocent people.

Was destroying the Death Star really necessary? How did the families of those henchmen feel? And what about the contractors, catering, IT support etc?

Should we petition the BBC to stop showing films such as these?

Of course he was a terrorist. The Rebel Alliance was an extremely well-organised terrorist organisation.

Maybe he felt that he was right to rebel against an unrepresentative government. Maybe he was just brainwashed. But either way, he knew that the Force was on his side.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's that sorted. I think the real questions is, however, whether Chewbacca is a terrorist, and should be prosecuted. Is he just a hairy animal, incapable of making intelligent decisions? A pawn of war? Or is he a hairy Hitler, with megalomaniac plans towards the ruling of the empire that will become apparent in Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII and IX?

(Original post by foxo)
    Well, that's that sorted. I think the real questions is, however, whether Chewbacca is a terrorist, and should be prosecuted. Is he just a hairy animal, incapable of making intelligent decisions? A pawn of war? Or is he a hairy Hitler, with megalomaniac plans towards the ruling of the empire that will become apparent in Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII and IX?
    Hmm. If it's a war, then would he be prosecuted for terror? Tricky. And could you prosecute Chewbacca for war crimes? Was he simply following Han's orders? Not that that would be much of a defence anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Hmm. If it's a war, then would he be prosecuted for terror? Tricky. And could you prosecute Chewbacca for war crimes? Was he simply following Han's orders? Not that that would be much of a defence anyway...
    Well, I mean when The Emperor and the remaining Storm Troopers return. Because, let's face it - George Lucas's greed could fill many a galaxy.

And under that hair and those incoherent roars may dwell a creature more powerful than yoda and more evil than Vader and The Emperor rolled into one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Chewbacca lived on Endor, therefore they must acquit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Chewbacca lived on Endor, therefore they must acquit.
    *Head explodes*

ReputationRep:
    Well, then G. Washington was a terrorist, and Oliver Cromwell too, should I continue with the list ...?
    Terorism ,from my point of view, is killing intetionally innocent people in order to cause chaos and put pressure on a certain government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Just because you don't agree with the ideology of your country/Empire doesn't permit you to attack it and kill innocent people.

Was destroying the Death Star really necessary? How did the families of those henchmen feel? And what about the contractors, catering, IT support etc?

Should we petition the BBC to stop showing films such as these?
    Well altho I suspect that this thread is not entirely serious, lets just assume it is for the case of argument.

Firstly, the death star was exclusively a military installation and headquarter, and hence not a civilian target. Seconldy, killing uniformed soldiers (i.e stormtroopers ) are not terrorism unless excessive violence and/or deliberate torture are used in the aim of spreading fear amongst the opposing faction. Thirdly, the film makes it quite clear that the death star was about to use a WMD to destroy the planet the rebels were based on, effectively making the destruction of the station an act of self defense.

All in all, the deathstar was a military target, and hence a legitimate target in an ongoing war, were we to use international law as it is today. Even if innocent civilians ( prisioners, sick , injured , doctors etc ) were killed in the atack, it is quite clear that the overall objective of the operation was the destruction of the deathstar as a military instalation and headquarter, in which case civilian causulties involved should be regarded as unfortunate but unavoidable.

What distinguishes most terrorist groups from legitimate military resistance is that they target civilians deliberately, with the aim of hurting and killing civilians. In fact, if I remember correctly I dont think there is a single event in the star wars movies where it is clear that the rebels deliberately attempted to kill civilians. All civilians deaths in the movies were either caused by the empire, in acts of direct self defense ( consider the fight at Jabba's compound) or as unfortuante consequences of a rebel strike that was targetet against a military instalation. In effect, the rebel forces in the star wars movies were very very far from a terrorist organisation. In fact, I doubt there has beenany military campaign on earth with as low a fraction of civilian deaths as the rebel assualts against the empire, but then Lucasfilm may very well be a biased media channel...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.