Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to teach myself a language to GCSE standard in one year, and progress to the A-Level the next year.

I am either going to do Spanish or Italian and maybe German.

How do i do it? I can't afford to distance learn really so I was going to get the textbooks and specification and teach myself. But what do I d where the speaking test and coursework are concerned?? I'd appreciate any help.

Would I be able to enter myself at the local college (they don't offer it) and just sit the listening and writing exams. And could I send my own coursework off to be moderated, or just hand it in to the college exam secretary and have her send it off??

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justchar)

Would I be able to enter myself at the local college (they don't offer it) and just sit the listening and writing exams.

Help!
    Well if you can't get a centre, you're pretty well stuck. Try some schools nearby, they may accept you. For coursework you need a proper marker, i.e a teacher, I'm not sure about coursework policy as they say that part of the coursework has to be done in school under teacher supervisin.

BTW I don't thing theres coursework for languages :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeh there is cw for languages...but it has to be supervised..i think..but it depends on what course you do...if you just do reading/listening/speaking and cw then yeh u have to do cw..but if u do reading/listening/speaking and writing then u dont have to do it..but personally id go for the cw option..much easier and more efficient..espevially if ur teaching urself..and good luck with the rest btw..hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    You can probably choose to do another exam instead of coursework. Ask local schools and colleges - you can probably get a list from your city council website.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to Russian this way...but it's unrealistic, so I can't be arsed! I've got my actual A-Levels to consider!

ReputationRep:
    I did russian(A) and German (A*)for GCSE and german for As and A-Level. Russian is a fantastic language, well worth the effort. I do prefer German though. Recently I have been thinking about teaching myself Finnish (god knows why) but I couldn't find any books or audio books for it! I haven't done language coursework ever, just written exams instead.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a really good idea. For the speaking test, you would need to ask a teacher either at your own school or a school/college near by if they are willing to have one of their language teachers do the test with you - you might need to prepare for it by yourself though and there might be a feee. (I think this varies depending on if you get a helpfuul school or not).

You can do coursework provided you get it moderated - I think usually the exam officers sends it off with the rest of the samples, although if there is a teacher at your school that teaches the subject then they might mark it for you.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as I've never done it myself. You might find the following document useful:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.html

Hope this helps a little. Post back if you have further questions - I'm sure someone has experience and can help.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing GCSE Spanish by my self right now and will take the exams for it in May.
    My advise would be to go to your nearest secondary school and ask them if they will act as your centre. As for the C/W problem, why not take the writing exam paper instead? Thats what I plan to do. You'll also have to find a teacher thats qualified to do the oral exam with you.

Better still, if a secondary school close by teaches Spanish, then you're problems are solved, you only have to persuade the school to enter you.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.