some bands play gigs cause they want to be with the fans
    its not always about the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
    some bands play gigs cause they want to be with the fans
    its not always about the money.
    Satisfy your fans by your music.

ReputationRep:
    I think that you both hold good arguments.

Musicians need to eat and whilst most of the time I don't particularly like mainstream Hip Hop, I can't front on their hustle. They're businessmen.

Everyone is doing it. Look at Common. He released "Be" with shiit loads of promo and help from the most mainstream artist at the moment...Kanye. But Common didn't sell because he is too deep for 12yr old white girls. He will sell to a Hip Hop audience, no doubt! But not the majority, ut it aint like he didn't try.

ReputationRep:
    Bump..

ReputationRep:
    I prefer hip-hop to any other music genre, whether or not it's better is subjective really.

The reason i'd say hip-hop is better to listen to......

-Good Hip-Hop is as passionate if not more so than any other genre
    -' ' uses more clever lyricism than 99% of any other music
    -' ' enables an artist to say what they want in a shorter time than artists of any other genre, It took Bob Dylan 9 minutes to say what a rapper could have done in 3. (not a diss to him, i like his music)
    -' ' can be at a variance of speeds, on a par with other genres in this respect.

How good a rapper is vocally (in terms of how their voice literally sounds) isn't really important to me as long as they aren't monotonous, i take more of an interest in what's actually being said (ie an "amazing" voice of an artist singing in a non-english language would hold absolutely no appeal to me)

All the above is just opinion by the way, not trying to pass it as fact. People dismiss hip-hop too easily because of a lot of the wannabe gangster culture that goes along with it, that's generally associated with people like game and 50 cent which i don't class as hip-hop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris.)
    I prefer hip-hop to any other music genre, whether or not it's better is subjective really.

The reason i'd say hip-hop is better to listen to......

-Good Hip-Hop is as passionate if not more so than any other genre
    -' ' uses more clever lyricism than 99% of any other music
    -' ' enables an artist to say what they want in a shorter time than artists of any other genre, It took Bob Dylan 9 minutes to say what a rapper could have done in 3. (not a diss to him, i like his music)
    -' ' can be at a variance of speeds, on a par with other genres in this respect.

How good a rapper is vocally (in terms of how their voice literally sounds) isn't really important to me as long as they aren't monotonous, i take more of an interest in what's actually being said (ie an "amazing" voice of an artist singing in a non-english language would hold absolutely no appeal to me)

All the above is just opinion by the way, not trying to pass it as fact. People dismiss hip-hop too easily because of a lot of the wannabe gangster culture that goes along with it, that's generally associated with people like game and 50 cent which i don't class as hip-hop.
    Idd - The Game and 50 Cent are just losers who think they're hard.

ReputationRep:
    I heard a great hiphop song earlier played on Radio one.

The stupid DJ didn't say the name but babbled a load of ****, however he DID say the name of the next song. I rang up Radio one to ask them to talk me back the play list but the song that was named after the hip hop song didn't come up(I wanted to locate the song after the hip hop one, so that I could hence find out the name of the hip hop song)

Absolute ****ing USELESS.

It also took me a good while to find the ****ing contact number to radio one.

Useless bunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucky`)
    I heard a great hiphop song earlier played on Radio one.

The stupid DJ didn't say the name but babbled a load of ****, however he DID say the name of the next song. I rang up Radio one to ask them to talk me back the play list but the song that was named after the hip hop song didn't come up(I wanted to locate the song after the hip hop one, so that I could hence find out the name of the hip hop song)

Absolute ****ing USELESS.

It also took me a good while to find the ****ing contact number to radio one.

Useless bunch.
    Describe the song to me, I might be able to tell you it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Describe the song to me, I might be able to tell you it.
    I can't remember it now Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Fiddy back in his "How to Rob" days was dope! Fiddy now = lame!

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this, i don't like them because their music holds no appeal to me. Them and a lot of other mainstream rappers do have pretty dodgy pasts and have both been involved in shootings in one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris.)
    I disagree with this, i don't like them because their music holds no appeal to me. Them and a lot of other mainstream rappers do have pretty dodgy pasts and have both been involved in shootings in one way or another.
    The point I'm trying to make is that they make out they are alot worse than they are.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that? Sure it's possible, but a mate of mine has mates in New York who testify that they do have really bad reputations out there aswell, no smoke without flames.

Anyway that doesn't really have an influence on my taste in music, Big L probably exagerrated his lifestyle but was a wicked artist, i'd guess Masta Ace exagerrates to some extent but he's also sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playaboy)
    Why? I bet I could teach you a hell of a lot and show you that its actually one of the most complex
    Complex as in 'lets use someone else music and spout thug-poetry drivel over it'? Which a lot of it is really...

But some hip-hop is musically very inventive and innovative (Outkast, dizzie rascal, Wu-tang clan...etc)

ReputationRep:
    hip hop all the way. no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayTripper)
    Complex as in 'lets use someone else music and spout thug-poetry drivel over it'? Which a lot of it is really...

But some hip-hop is musically very inventive and innovative (Outkast, dizzie rascal, Wu-tang clan...etc)
    LOL if you have no clue about a genre don't talk crap about it!

Neg rep in due course.

ReputationRep:
    Hip Hop was better before.

Listen to Grandmaster Flash - The message.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt in my mind what-so-ever that hip-hop is by far the worst musical genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    I have no doubt in my mind what-so-ever that hip-hop is by far the worst musical genre.
    I have no doubt in my mind that you've not listened to anywhere near enough hip-hop to make such a bold (and totally ignorant, and wrong) statement.

ReputationRep:
    Hip hop once had meaning....today's hip hop is basically for the clubs and emcees nowadays aren't really saying anything worth listening to. 1998 was the last decent year for hip hop. i don't know how it happened but at some point in 99 the music became bouncy and instead of rappin about the realities of life, emcees became boastful....instead of, and pardon the cliche, staying real, emcees started playing a role

you listen to Nas' first album, Jay's first album, some early Hiero, Smif-N_Wessun, and Big L and you can clearly hear the contrast from today's rap

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.