Turn on thread page Beta

Hip Hop is better than any other music genre watch

ReputationRep:
    I say it doesn't sound good......
    I prefer gothic metal or melodic metal because it has decent lyrics most of the time and I like the heavy metal sounds, very exhilerating but...... Hip hop....... come on! It's just a load of mechanical beats and people "singing"(if you can call it that) about "booties" and "asses" and "clubs".
    (rolls eyes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Cant really pin point why tbh. Considering a lot of it is just 'speaking' as such doesnt help
    Its not "speaking" man...its about flow, intonation and if you've ever tried to write some Hip Hop you would realise that its the hardest music to write and then to transfer that to a beat is mad hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random one)
    I prefer gothic metal or melodic metal because it has decent lyrics most of the time and I like the heavy metal sounds, very exhilerating but...... Hip hop....... come on! It's just a load of mechanical beats and people "singing"(if you can call it that) about "booties" and "asses" and "clubs".
    (rolls eyes)
    Stereotype my sweet! Tis not all that...thats just the select portion you hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playaboy)
    Its not "speaking" man...its about flow, intonation and if you've ever tried to write some Hip Hop you would realise that its the hardest music to write and then to transfer that to a beat is mad hard
    Thats a shame then. Spending all that time and effort only to produce crap. But thats just my opinion, i'm sure you would think that the music I like is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Thats a shame then. Spending all that time and effort only to produce crap. But thats just my opinion, i'm sure you would think that the music I like is rubbish.
    I probably would and just like you I'm a music Nazi so I can empathise

ReputationRep:
    (rolls eyes)
    someone's basing their opinions on not very much knowledge :rolleyes:

Hip-Hop isn't my favourite genre of music, and alot of the biggest mainstream artists i can't stand...though I do enjoy quite a bit of hip-hop (The Roots, Kanye West, Roots Manuva etc) and in my opinion, Hip-hop is the genre that's moving music forwards more than any other at the moment...

I just personally prefer Indie, that's all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)

Hip-Hop isn't my favourite genre of music, and alot of the biggest mainstream artists i can't stand...though I do enjoy quite a bit of hip-hop (The Roots, Kanye West, Roots Manuva etc) and in my opinion, Hip-hop is the genre that's moving music forwards more than any other at the moment...

Ahhhhh...this is on point!

ReputationRep:
    Stereotype my sweet! Tis not all that...thats just the select portion you hear
    It's not stereotype, it was sarcastic, and I have yet to hear any hip hop that uses proper instruments like electric guitars, drums etc.
    Plus Hip hop videos... ergh! It's full of wannabe ganster sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)

I have a lot of musical knowledge actually, I have listened to many types of music ever since I was young, and this is said from my experience.

ReputationRep:
    It's not stereotype, it was sarcastic, and I have yet to hear any hip hop that uses proper instruments like electric guitars, drums etc.
    Firstly, listen to the Roots.

Secondly, how exactly do you define a 'proper' instrument?

and as for your last point, once again, a stereotype, take a look at Roots Manuva's video - Witness (One Hope) s'a great video!

ReputationRep:
    [sarcasm] Sorry sarcasm doesn't project itself well on the internet [/sarcasm]

You want live instruments then check "The Roots"

and you don't think that instruments are played in the studio when the beat i compiled, because they are!

Again, they're the videos that you're subjected to by MTV, Box, VH1 etc. All songs made to appeal to 12yr old white girls/boys...

ReputationRep:
    Hip hop is more than just a music genre - it's a way of life, "The Hip hop lifestyle". I think it's great, but I like any music which sounds good so... :/

ReputationRep:
    It isn't my favourite genre, but I do have quite a lot of hip hop. Particularly like the older Cypress Hill stuff, last 2 albums weren't so good. Outkast I think are excellent, their style is constantly evolving and they don't follow the norm. Also like MC Solaar's stuff, even though it's in French and I can't understand everything! Can't think at the moment, it's too hot, so will stop there

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Most people on here won't, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Hip hop is more than just a music genre - it's a way of life, "The Hip hop lifestyle". I think it's great, but I like any music which sounds good so... :/
    This kid knows...

Hip Hop is a culture that holds 4 elements within:

Rapping
    Graffitting
    DJing
    Breakdancing

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of musical knowledge actually, I have listened to many types of music ever since I was young, and this is said from my experience.
    I'll quote again:

It's just a load of mechanical beats and people "singing"(if you can call it that) about "booties" and "asses" and "clubs".
    the fact this is blatently untrue in alot of cases, shows your knowledge, as far as Hip-hop is concerned at least, is severly lacking. I don't claim to know alot about hip-hop, (becuase I don't know alot) but I know enough to know you're talking crap.

ReputationRep:
    [sarcasm] Sorry sarcasm doesn't project itself well on the internet [/sarcasm]

You want live instruments then check "The Roots"

and you don't think that instruments are played in the studio when the beat i compiled, because they are!

Again, they're the videos that you're subjected to by MTV, Box, VH1 etc. All songs made to appeal to 12yr old white girls/boys...
    Yeah that's true. Try listening to A Tribe Called Quest or Rakim, some of the oldskool Hip Hop, they are highly instrument-influenced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peach)
    It isn't my favourite genre, but I do have quite a lot of hip hop. Particularly like the older Cypress Hill stuff, last 2 albums weren't so good. Outkast I think are excellent, their style is constantly evolving and they don't follow the norm. Also like MC Solaar's stuff, even though it's in French and I can't understand everything! Can't think at the moment, it's too hot, so will stop there
    ^ on point...

Kast = GOAT group

ReputationRep:
    ^ on point...

Kast = GOAT group
    I don't know what GOAT stands for, is that good or bad?

ReputationRep:
    I gotta admit. I'm not a fan of *all* Hip Hop... I'm not really into West Coast HH, but I love East Coast and Oldskool HH. <----- But that's another argument, saved for another day.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.