Turn on thread page Beta

Hip Hop is better than any other music genre watch

ReputationRep:
    HIP HOP?! WTF?

Rock all the way! *puts Bruce Springsteen CD on* :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lyrics should be important, but no more so than the music... Like Onearmedbandit said, if you're just looking for lyrics, go read poetry.
    About commercial hip hop neglecting lyrics, all commercial music does. Back in the old days, hip hop used to be all political and underground... it was not liked by white kids usually, if they wanted to go political they went punk...
    then the radio ruined both punk and hip hop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I disagree with the thread title Why?

1. It's too repetetive.

2. There is rarely much of a tune, and if there is I don't usually like it.

3. It seems to be more about image & culture than the music.

4. Lyrics seem to take priority over the music itself. If I wanted to listen to good words I'd pick up a poetry tape.

Just my opinion As you asked...
    For number one is the reason why I dislike trance music - repetition. And the main reason with hip hop for me is number three. Personally I'm not fussed over lyrics otherwise I wouldn't enjoy instrumentals from the likes of Joe Satriani and co.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Does that mean we should pay no attention to lyrics?
    Nope..

I think commercial Hip Hop actually neglects lyrics. Talking about clubs and babes is boring, and puts it in the same bracket as pop.
    I agree

Lyrics are important, but should not be at the expense of a good tune.
    Immensly important

radiohead, for instance, combine poetical lyrics and music. Indeed the two complement each other, both revealing a meaning in each other, which makes listening to radiohead so rewarding.
    And you think Hip Hop doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with your penultimate post.

My first point was actually, that we SHOULD pay attention to the lyrics. Otherwise the vocalist might as well hum, or make "Ah" noises through the whole song. :rolleyes:

I will freely admit to not having given other genres a chance. I believe it is possible for anybody to like any genre. the genre they eventualy settle upon is influenced by class, friends and a multitude of different factors.

your last post however, was a step down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    HIP HOP?! WTF?

Rock all the way! *puts Bruce Springsteen CD on* :p:
    We have more in common than I thought. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I think onearmbandit has got it right when he said its more about the image and culture. I personaly find lyrics about my local iron bridge more meaningful than the Detroit or New York drug culture.

There is some catchy stuff but its certainly not my cup of tea and I usualy leave/avoid a bar/club which plays mainly this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Son, I respect that last post of yours...but you're boring me now...

Move over soulja

ReputationRep:
    Playaboy's got it spot on; as has Babyshambles.
    Playaboy's classic list is pretty good; somethings I havent heard though! Although I am glad to see Masta Ace and Outkast on there (people often forget Outkast); and Stankonia was pretty good too! Although I see youve missed out Electric Circus from Common's lot

Random One - check out Common - Be. It opens with a live acoustic bass, then extends into the beat. Absolutely lush. im not sure how much of the rest of the album is produced (although it is mainly Kanye so im guessing lots of sampling) but theres lots of real instruments; mainly jazz stuff.

however i dont think this detracts from the sound or quality of the music. you can still create as excellent sounding music with samples as with live instruments!

And Phonicsdude, why did you bother suggesting radiohead? thats not what this thread is about! why bother starting?

ReputationRep:
    I like hip hop, but I wouldn't say it's better than any other music genre in my opinion. But then I don't have a favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    We have more in common than I thought. :eek:
    *dies*

Its not every day you speak to another fan of the Boss on TSR :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Babyshambles on this, I don't know much hip-hop, and don't pretend to know a lot about it, but if you look out there, there *is* good stuff. People need to realise that there's more to a genre than just the most commercial stuff. It's like saying that all indie music is is bland stuff like Travis and Keane, whereas there's a whole lot more of it out there. Open your ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    I'm with Babyshambles on this, I don't know much hip-hop, and don't pretend to know a lot about it, but if you look out there, there *is* good stuff. People need to realise that there's more to a genre than just the most commercial stuff. It's like saying that all indie music is is bland stuff like Travis and Keane, whereas there's a whole lot more of it out there. Open your ears.
    Same could be said about rock. There's more to life than The Killers like Stratovarius etc.

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeah
    what is it about the killers and franz ferdinand, could someone please explain?
    I'm glad at least the hype about Good Charlotte, simple plan, and Avril Lavigne has died down... now all my little cousins don't say thei're punk, they're "indie" and listen to only keane or "alternative" and listen to franz ferdinand...

ReputationRep:
    Same could be said about rock. There's more to life than The Killers like Stratovarius etc.
    My point exactly. People are generalising about hip hop when they actually mean crap like 50 Cent etc. - I'm sure if somebody made similar generalisations about their favourite type of music without even giving it a chance, they'd be quite rightly on the defensive.

ReputationRep:
    Yep you can go for ever like this, there is more to the 60's than the Beatles etc, more to the 70's than ABBA.

I am trying work out if this thread is supposed to be a debate or just a plug for genre. It seems when ever we do try and debate we get insulted

Playaboy this thread is fine but just don't expect everybody to agree with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    Playaboy's got it spot on; as has Babyshambles.
    Playaboy's classic list is pretty good; somethings I havent heard though! Although I am glad to see Masta Ace and Outkast on there (people often forget Outkast); and Stankonia was pretty good too! Although I see youve missed out Electric Circus from Common's lot

Random One - check out Common - Be. It opens with a live acoustic bass, then extends into the beat. Absolutely lush. im not sure how much of the rest of the album is produced (although it is mainly Kanye so im guessing lots of sampling) but theres lots of real instruments; mainly jazz stuff.

however i dont think this detracts from the sound or quality of the music. you can still create as excellent sounding music with samples as with live instruments!

And Phonicsdude, why did you bother suggesting radiohead? thats not what this thread is about! why bother starting?
    This dude = my new favourite poster..

As I said, I forgot shiit loads to the list, twas a 5minute thing

Be = Top 5 albums of 05 so far along with:

Beanie Sigel - The B.Coming
    Lupe Fiasco - Revenge of the Nerds
    Tonedeff - Archetype
    Cassidy - I'm a Hustler

Still gotta peep the new Slum Village, Young Jeezy, Slim Thug etc..

Fav album of the minute = a blend of Frank Sinatra and Biggie - "Blue Eyes to Bedstuy" ... so dope!

And Phonicsdude is a homotional lil e-thug who thinks he is better than everyone he converses with...jump off PD, jump off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    My point exactly. People are generalising about hip hop when they actually mean crap like 50 Cent etc. - I'm sure if somebody made similar generalisations about their favourite type of music without even giving it a chance, they'd be quite rightly on the defensive.
    *salutes this powerful poster*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Yep you can go for ever like this, there is more to the 60's than the Beatles etc, more to the 70's than ABBA.

I am trying work out if this thread is supposed to be a debate or just a plug for genre. It seems when ever we do try and debate we get insulted

Playaboy this thread is fine but just don't expect everybody to agree with you
    I don't expect every/anyone to agree with me...twas a topic of debate and never once have I got insulted about it...PhonicsDude just likes the warmth of my nutsack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playaboy)
    *salutes this powerful poster*
    Why thankyou.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.