Turn on thread page Beta

Hip Hop is better than any other music genre watch

ReputationRep:
    Hip Hop? That's for little kids who masturbate too much. Everyone knows Polka is where it's at...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    My point exactly. People are generalising about hip hop when they actually mean crap like 50 Cent etc. - I'm sure if somebody made similar generalisations about their favourite type of music without even giving it a chance, they'd be quite rightly on the defensive.
    You should have seen the terrible generalisations exhibited in the metal v indie thread. If we were discussing people of different ethnic backgrounds, there would be more damnation of such generalisations such as racist etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    *dies*

Its not every day you speak to another fan of the Boss on TSR :eek:
    Bruce is classic!! I think Born to Run was the first song my dad ever played me when I was just born

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    My point exactly. People are generalising about hip hop when they actually mean crap like 50 Cent etc. - I'm sure if somebody made similar generalisations about their favourite type of music without even giving it a chance, they'd be quite rightly on the defensive.
    Well there are so many sub-genres that people are probably talking about totally different things when discussing Hip Hop.

The only stuff I used to like back in the day were Krs-One, Gangstar (with rapper/DJ Guru) and the Wu-Tang Clan.
    Then there's a totally different sub-genre of Hip Hop which is purely instrumental with no rapping: DJ Cam used to be big and I think the Herbaliser can be put in this sub-genre allow they veer towards Trip Hop. This sub-genre probably isn't considered by most people who say they like Hip Hop because its attitude is a million miles away from the image of commercial rap and is closer to the electronic music world: which makes sense since most Hip Hop is electronic music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    4. Lyrics seem to take priority over the music itself. If I wanted to listen to good words I'd pick up a poetry tape.
    That's why I love Hip Hop - the lyrics are usually amazing. Some Hip Hop artists have an amazing knowledge of the English Language - i.e. Rakim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peach)
    Great tune. Aphrodite's remix was pretty good as well
    Aye, Aphrodite is a legend in the D&B scene. If you like IG5OI, you'll love "No Diggity" remix by Aphro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    That's why I love Hip Hop - the lyrics are usually amazing. Some Hip Hop artists have an amazing knowledge of the English Language - i.e. Rakim.

As I mentioned, Hip Hop can be considered as a sub-genre of electronic music and doesn't need any lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    Sam some of that stuff is pretty good (the instrumental).. like Prefuse 73. well i dont know much about that side, but i got hold of Prefuse's new album (Surrounded by Silence) and it sounds amazing + there are some tracks with rapping, like hideyaface with ghostface and el-p. i think masta killa features on one track too.

also, maybe someone could help me.

in The Game's song 'Runnin', he has these lines

'I know I got more sins than two lesbians
    Been back and forth across the border like Mexicans'

and im SURE ive heard the bold line in something before - something about going across the border like mexicans anyway.

any ideas who/what song its from? im thinking someone like kweli but i dunno!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    As I mentioned, Hip Hop can be considered as a sub-genre of electronic music and doesn't need any lyrics.
    I don't agree. Hip Hop is not a sub genre of anything. Hip Hop is defined as being a culture, a certain lifestyle. It's much more respected World Wide than "Electronica" - don't quite know why you said that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there's people out there dismissing hip-hop, yet they'll probably like sub-genres that have derived from hip-hop, trip hop in particular - the prime example being Massive Attack.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, Aphrodite is a legend in the D&B scene. If you like IG5OI, you'll love "No Diggity" remix by Aphro.
    I have it, it's great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)

and im SURE ive heard the bold line in something before - something about going across the border like mexicans anyway.
    It's a commonly used expression. Mexicans try to go over the border into America, for a better life.

ReputationRep:
    Sam some of that stuff is pretty good (the instrumental).. like Prefuse 73. well i dont know much about that side, but i got hold of Prefuse's new album (Surrounded by Silence) and it sounds amazing + there are some tracks with rapping, like hideyaface with ghostface and el-p. i think masta killa features on one track too.

also, maybe someone could help me.

in The Game's song 'Runnin', he has these lines

'I know I got more sins than two lesbians

any ideas who/what song its from? im thinking someone like kweli but i dunno!
    I know Prefuse 73 a bit too. It's quite laidback stuff. How could I forget DJ Shadow!

Here's the wikipedia article on the sub-genre. I don't many people here like it because it's very laidback, unassuming stuff. Unlike most hip hop, the artists aren't up themselves and the whole idea isn't to act tough :rolleyes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_hip_hop

Instrumental hip hop

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Instrumental hip hop is hip hop music without vocals. Hip hop songs as a general rule are a two-man job. They consist of two elements: an instrumental track (the "beat") and a vocal track (the "rap"). The artist who crafts the beat is the DJ or the producer, and the one who crafts the rap is the emcee. In this format, the rap is almost always the primary focus of the song, providing most of the complexity and variation over a more or less repetitive beat.

Instrumental hip hop is the work of DJs and producers who create music without emcee accompaniment. This format affords them the flexibility to create more complex, richly detailed and varied instrumentals, since they don't need to worry about accommodating a vocal track. Songs of this genre may wander off in different musical directions and end up completely different than how they started, a virtual impossibility in mainstream hip hop.

[edit]

History

This style of music was first popularized in 1996 with the release of DJ Shadow's debut album Endtroducing.... Relying on a combination of sampled funk, hip hop and film score, DJ Shadow chose to describe his music as "cinematic hip hop."

Instrumental hip hop has yet to be fully recognized as a genre unto itself, and is often lumped in with trip hop or electronica.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peach)
    I have it, it's great
    Yeah, quality. So you into d&B then?

ReputationRep:
    DJ Shadow - of course! *puts Endtroducing on*

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree. Hip Hop is not a sub genre of anything. Hip Hop is defined as being a culture, a certain lifestyle. It's much more respected World Wide than "Electronica" - don't quite know why you said that.
    uh well there are some electronica influences.
    like the music used to be techno (i remember hearing something about detroit techno) and you had the people just talking, keeping the crowd going, over the mic - the MCs; then it evolved into them actually talking about stuff, developing into full blown rapping.

also some of the things used to make the music, like the roland drum machines were used lots in electronica. like, the 808- lots of usage in hiphop but also electronica.

of course there was some influence from jazz and stuff too, but electronica helped along the way.

this is quite interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I know Prefuse 73 a bit too. It's quite laidback stuff. How could I forget DJ Shadow!

Here's the wikipedia article on the sub-genre. I don't many people here like it because it's very laidback, unassuming stuff. Unlike most hip hop, the artists aren't up themselves and the whole idea isn't to act tough :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry but you don't know much about Hip Hop. All you are doing is making sweeping generalisations... If you listen to the main of Hip Hop artists, you'll find they are mature, sincere music lovers. It's some of the fans who become infatuated by the culture and thus, "Gangster Rap" was born. Most sincere Hip Hop lovers are into "Party Hip Hop" which is more orientated around the beats, and soul of music. Jurassic 5 are a prime example. Around 80% of Hip Hop fans are not into the "Gangster Rap" scene; there is a small majority who do "act tough" because of influence by certain artists (very small number though).

ReputationRep:
    uh well there are some electronica influences.
    like the music used to be techno (i remember hearing something about detroit techno) and you had the people just talking, keeping the crowd going, over the mic - the MCs; then it evolved into them actually talking about stuff, developing into full blown rapping.

also some of the things used to make the music, like the roland drum machines were used lots in electronica. like, the 808- lots of usage in hiphop but also electronica.

of course there was some influence from jazz and stuff too, but electronica helped along the way.
    Go listen to "Rapper's Delight" by Sugar Hill Gang... This was the roots of Hip Hop... It may have similarities, such as the lyrics are emphasized - but, Hip Hop is a totally different genre. Any similarities are coincidential.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen how a hip hop track is produced? There's virtually no difference with how a house/techno track is produced. The same samplers, sequencers, software and the same equipment.

This diagram shows how Hip Hop relates to other electronic music genres. It's not because Hip Hop artists try to create this image of being tough (which kids fall for, instead of falling for the music), and a million miles away from other electronic music artists, that they're any different.

http://www.tigersushi.com/site/tsc/genre/electromap.htm

You should check out tigersushi which describes the development of all the genres.

It's not because Hip Hop is more than the actual music genre, that it isn't a music genre. Rock is a lot more than music too, it's: sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. It doesn't mean it's not related to Jazz.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, quality. So you into d&B then?
    I love d&b, not really into ambient, prefer the 'hard' stuff, and it's definitely my favourite type of music to mix. How about you?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.