Speak on it...
    Can't say I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playaboy)
    ^ Ig'nant
    my opinion u tard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Does that mean we should pay no attention to lyrics?

I think commercial Hip Hop actually neglects lyrics. Talking about clubs and babes is boring, and puts it in the same bracket as pop.

Lyrics are important, but should not be at the expense of a good tune.

radiohead, for instance, combine poetical lyrics and music. Indeed the two complement each other, both revealing a meaning in each other, which makes listening to radiohead so rewarding.
    No... I was just saying what I think.

And agree that sometimes it has some good bass lines.

ReputationRep:
    Ups my legendary thread...

I need more Hip Hop discussion
    Ok, East or West?! :P Let's bring up a new argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    my opinion u tard
    i agree bout the "tard" part

ReputationRep:
    Sticky this thread with the name: "Ultimate Hip-Hop Thread" - make it a place where people can come and discuss and debate Hip Hop. Can you do that please Mods?

ReputationRep:
    not sure if its been mentioned but iread to pages and i have to run...
    the whole why do so many people in some bands play guitars etc...
    cause they make there own music and don't rely on a machine to do it.

and you mentioned that the topic was a question.... there is no question mark and its blatenetly a statement of your music tastes...

but them...

i'm just a simple metal head i like music with effort of writting the music.. writting the lyrics and the comilation of a band putting effort in.
    plus i prefer to listen to intraments being played and seeing them being played.

just my preference

hip hop is for some... just not me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    my opinion u tard
    No, it was a stereotype on a subject you have no knowledge on...ig'nant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random one)
    i agree bout the "tard" part
    you mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)

and you mentioned that the topic was a question.... there is no question mark and its blatenetly a statement of your music tastes...

but them...

i'm just a simple metal head i like music with effort of writting the music.. writting the lyrics and the comilation of a band putting effort in.
    plus i prefer to listen to intraments being played and seeing them being played.

just my preference

That's a shame. I feel if you listened to some quality Hip Hop you would think differently. Your opinion seems to be shaped by mainstream Hip Hop (Gangster Rap), which isn't a true representation of most Hip Hop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)

but them...

just my preference

Twas open ended...."Speak on it"...I set a debate and asked people to talk about it

I respect your opinion but lyrics are one of, if not the most important parts of it. You like poetry? Its poetry! And instruments are played..

ReputationRep:
    you mad?
    lol yes. how random :p:

ReputationRep:
    in Hip Hop, a lot of it is just like pop! That's why you get them on MTV and channels like those......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    That's a shame. I feel if you listened to some quality Hip Hop you would think differently. Your opinion seems to be shaped by mainstream Hip Hop (Gangster Rap), which isn't a true representation of most Hip Hop.
    *nods*

ReputationRep:
    Twas open ended...."Speak on it"...I set a debate and asked people to talk about it

I respect your opinion but lyrics are one of, if not the most important parts of it. You like poetry? Its poetry! And instruments are played..
    Definitely, you know the way Playaboy. Lyrics are what you listen to. A beat just compliments lyrics and brings them to life. Most Hip Hop artists have an amazing knowledge of the English Language, which makes it rewarding to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    in Hip Hop, a lot of it is just like pop! That's why you get them on MTV and channels like those......
    Thats the mainstream with dudes like Fiddy making songs with catchy hooks in order to grab the main selling audience: 12yr old white girls

ReputationRep:
    No. You get *MAINSTREAM GANGSTER RAP* Have you heard of Krs One? A Tribe Called Quest? Eric. B & Rakim? The Sugar Hill Gang? De La Soul? I bet you haven't. You are shown comerical music on MTV, not true Hip Hop.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the mainstream with dudes like Fiddy making songs with catchy hooks in order to grab the main selling audience: 12yr old white girls
    Exactly. The "Hip Hop" you are shown on MTV is moulded to appeal to a wider audience, thus, make money. The reason you are not shown true Hip Hop is because it is for sincere fans, and appeals to a smaller audience.

ReputationRep:
    Its no use...we can preach as much as we want but people are stuck in a set mindframe and beleive what they want...i.e Hip Hop = gangsters w/ guns, bling and biitches

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.