Turn on thread page Beta

If you get 10 A stars, do you say that you got 10 As and A stars or just 10 A stars? watch

ReputationRep:
    would appreciate any help!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, wth?! You got 10 A*s...

ReputationRep:
    noo! It was just an example! So anyone know how you call your results as? Argh!

ReputationRep:
    oh right, is that the answer? Lol I'm so dumb, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A* = A star
    A = A

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here

ReputationRep:
    coz i heard from someone that you can say "I got 10 A and 10 A stars" when they just got the 10 A stars lol! thanks for ur help!

ReputationRep:
    No! That would give them 20 GCSEs, it would be like counting each A* twice! :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you get 10A*s, you say "I got 10A*s". If you got, say, 7A*s and 3 As you might say, "I got 10 As and A*s" - or "I got 7A*s and As"! :confused: If that's not what you mean, I'm thoroughly confused.....

ReputationRep:
    heheh no probs, I get it now

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above post. If someone got ten A*'s then they would probably say that ''I got 10A*s''. However, if they say, for example, for 6A's and 4A*'s they might say ''I got 10 A's and A*'s'' or ''I got 10 grades at A or A8'' or ''All my GCSEs were at A or A* standard''.

I've only just finished GCSEs. I hope this helps. I'm very confused!

ReputationRep:
    Yer i see her point, for example i got 7 A's and A*'s

it sounds better than what i really got, 2 A*'s and 5 A's (and 4 B's) allthough i was never trying to mislead people.

ReputationRep:
    Zakatu> lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just like saying 'I got 6.5 A*s and As' sounds better than 'I got 1 A* and 5.5 As' :p:

ReputationRep:
    yer, it makes it sounds as if you got all top grades, when only one maybee was an A*.

I never thought about it though at the time, just seemed like an easier way to say it.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, so you don't feel you might be having this problem of what to say with your 10 A*? :>.<:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..... I'm liking it... "I got 8 A*s and As"... on the other hand, I'd rather be like some of my friends and be able to say "I got 8A*s"

ReputationRep:
    yeh if you get 10 A*s you just say "i got 10 A*s." you'd say "i got 10 A's and A*s" if you either got 20 gcses, or if you got a mixture of As and A*s, totalling 10 gcses. except normally i think people say "i got 5 A*s and 5 As" or whatever because that makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is do you say "ten A STAR" or "ten A STARS" because i've met a people who say it both ways!

ReputationRep:
    You normally say "I was pleased with my results." Going around telling people you got 10 A*s will just get you in serious trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    You normally say "I was pleased with my results." Going around telling people you got 10 A*s will just get you in serious trouble.
    Yah did that last year (only had one A* then) but there are just some people who will keep pushing to know exactly what you got, then when you tell them say "you shouldn't just be pleased you should be bloody extactic!" which is jsut as bad!

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.