Turn on thread page Beta

Something wrong with French beginners.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that people who know practically know zero French, say to people who do "Parlez-vous Francais!" (Do you speak French) (badly pronounced). Surely they should be saying "Parlez-vous Anglais" otherwise they wont understand them! Why bother asking them if they speak French if you don't yourself, you should be asking them if they speak English so you can talk to them!

Terrible I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Why is it that people who know practically know zero French, say to people who do "Parlez-vous Francais!" (Do you speak French) (badly pronounced). Surely they should be saying "Parlez-vous Anglais" otherwise they wont understand them! Why bother asking them if they speak French if you don't yourself, you should be asking them if they speak English so you can talk to them!
    I know. It's kinda cute though, how they try. And they can't help themselves, the way of articulating between English and French is totally different. I find it brave they're at least trying!

*knows there will be some French haters to bash his thread* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Brrr! I hate France! Big Frenchy France! Brrr!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah baaarh! Hate French. If I don't get an A in august, I'm doomed...
    They say it because that is what their teachers ask them in their first lesson. Why the teachers do it, is another question.. I mean, if I did, would I be here trying to learn the stupid language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Yeah baaarh! Hate French. If I don't get an A in august, I'm doomed...
    They say it because that is what their teachers ask them in their first lesson. Why the teachers do it, is another question.. I mean, if I did, would I be here trying to learn the stupid language?
    Why ARE you trying to learn the stupid language if you hate it so much?

ReputationRep:
    Its attempting to communicate in their language...and i think most people learn parlez vous francais as a phrase....not parlez vous anglais...

ReputationRep:
    I'd better get A for French or I am screeeewed, SCREWWWED I tell ya!

Random One

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ModernHippie)
    Why ARE you trying to learn the stupid language if you hate it so much?
    I don't hate it that much.. just learning all that damn grammar.
    Anyway, I wanted to do a language at A level and that was the only one I studied to GCSE (unless you count Russian). Plus I get to spend a year in France at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random one)
    I'd better get A for French or I am screeeewed, SCREWWWED I tell ya!

Random One
    Need it for uni? Have you got much of a buffer from your ASs?

ReputationRep:
    oh i scored a B for GCSE...but i cant speak french properly anyhow

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.