The Student Room Group

Safety of condoms.

I've always thought that using just a condom was safe enough when having sex, and it was only like a 1% chance of it not working (correct me if that's wrong!!) but my mother has now made me very very paranoid about using only a condom by saying I shouldn't trust them and to be on the pill as well. Obviously being on the pill as well makes doubly sure, but are condoms really that unreliable or is my mum just trying to definately make sure I don't get pregnant? I haven't had sex yet but don't particularly want to go on the pill unless I have to! :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Condoms are around 95-97% safe, and the pill is 99% safe. It's a good idea to use them both, but remember, the pill can only stop pregnancies, not STI's.
Reply 2
how old are you anyway if thats ok to ask...
17 lol
Reply 4
bubbles_jackson
I've always thought that using just a condom was safe enough when having sex, and it was only like a 1% chance of it not working (correct me if that's wrong!!) but my mother has now made me very very paranoid about using only a condom by saying I shouldn't trust them and to be on the pill as well. Obviously being on the pill as well makes doubly sure, but are condoms really that unreliable or is my mum just trying to definately make sure I don't get pregnant? I haven't had sex yet but don't particularly want to go on the pill unless I have to! :confused:

If you use condoms with a suitable spermicide, then they're aound 99%. Obviously they have a higher Pearl Index than other types of contraceptive as there's more scope for error - both human and accidental.
Reply 5
My mum told me to always use both the condom and something else such as the pill. And my boyfriend prefers it that way as it puts his mind at ease. I'm on the injection to prevent babies but we use condoms to prevent STI's....there are some you can get from things other than sex e.g. thrush. x x x
Yup - condoms are 90 something percent effective (I forget how effective...I think it's 99%). You'll be fairly safe using a condom, although no form of contraception is infallible. If you use the pill as well, you're even less likely to get pregnant. But if you don't want to go on the pill, then don't and just use condoms. You should be fine :smile:
Thanks :-) I'm a paranoid sort of person so the pill would probably be a good idea but at least I know I should be fine xxxxxxx
Reply 8
stop using condoms if you go on the pill. That's my suggestion. Much better that way :biggrin:
Reply 9
Doesnt the pill make you put on loads of weight?
Reply 10
sash37uk
Doesnt the pill make you put on loads of weight?

not always. i didn't put on anything, and my boobs grew bigger, implying that the rest of me must have gotten lighter if i wasn't actually heavier.
Reply 11
When I went on the pill, the doctor told me to watch what I eat as it would probably make me want to eat more. I think that's where the gain came from.. anyway, I've gone up two cup sizes and that's the kind of weight gain I'm not complaining about :biggrin:
i wouldnt be as comfy with sex if i wasnt on teh pill (i know my bloke has no sti's btw). coz when its all said and done, they break, and only ONE small hole can get you pregnant or worse. advice it to use both, and even condoms with spermicide. Also, its always wise to have partners screened before having sex...
Reply 13
If you're really worried, then use them both, but otherwise, you'd be VERY unlucky to get preggers when using a condom, and then there's always the morning after pill (for around £24 - can be used up to 72 hours afterwards). But if you absolutely crapping yourself, then go for the combination. You can get "The Pill" in the form of a patch, or injection, now too - if the thought of pill popping scares you at all! :wink:

Your username scares me by the way! :p:
Fluffy
If you use condoms with a suitable spermicide, then they're aound 99%. Obviously they have a higher Pearl Index than other types of contraceptive as there's more scope for error - both human and accidental.

I don't know how this sort of figure can be worked out???

I have had sex far more than 200 times but according to those stats I should have 2 kids by now. It just doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just have to be careful.
Lauren Hart
i wouldnt be as comfy with sex if i wasnt on teh pill (i know my bloke has no sti's btw). coz when its all said and done, they break, and only ONE small hole can get you pregnant or worse. advice it to use both, and even condoms with spermicide. Also, its always wise to have partners screened before having sex...

Screened, god sake, I know its all in the name of good health and all that but imagine you are in the heat of the moment and you ask the guy to go and get screened, lads how would this go down???

I would just go home and rather have a bank thanks...
Reply 16
mankyscot2
I have had sex far more than 200 times but according to those stats I should have 2 kids by now.

Probability doesn't work like that.
Reply 17
mankyscot2
I would just go home and rather have a bank thanks...

I'd rather have a bank too.. show me the money! :biggrin:
Madelyn
Probability doesn't work like that.

So how do they work out those stats then, out of 100 guys who use a condom then 1 is going to fail...i doubt it. Maybe 1 in 1000 or more.
F. Poste
I'd rather have a bank too.. show me the money! :biggrin:

LOL... :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending