Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mankyscot2)
    So how do they work out those stats then, out of 100 guys who use a condom then 1 is going to fail...i doubt it. Maybe 1 in 1000 or more.
    Again, not how statistics work. I have no idea how they work out the statistics for condoms, not being a condom effectivity statistics worker-out - can anyone else provide some insight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Again, not how statistics work. I have no idea how they work out the statistics for condoms, not being a condom effectivity statistics worker-out - can anyone else provide some insight?
    Yeah thats all I was getting at, sorry if it came across wrong. I'm not being argumentative I was just pointing out that as long as you are careful and make sure that you haven't abused the condom before you use it then you should be okay.

I have so far...touch wood

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how this sort of figure can be worked out???

I have had sex far more than 200 times but according to those stats I should have 2 kids by now. It just doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just have to be careful.
    As far as I remember...

The system means that 100 couples used the method of contraception for a year. So 99% effectiveness means only one out of those one hundred couples would become pregnant over that year.

That's how you can beat the 99/100 odds.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it as 99% each time you use a condom. That way they are all seperate. Each condom has a 1% chance of breaking. That way, it's HUGELY unlikely that you will become pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    Screened, god sake, I know its all in the name of good health and all that but imagine you are in the heat of the moment and you ask the guy to go and get screened, lads how would this go down???

I would just go home and rather have a bank thanks...
    Preferably you discuss screening before you even get down to it, as it were. If you'd rather catch something nasty that's up to you. Until then, use a condom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    stop using condoms if you go on the pill. That's my suggestion. Much better that way
    ****ing hell grace! What kind of advice is that? The pill isn't there to replace condoms.

To the original poster, by using condoms, you're avoiding catching STIs and using condoms is the best and easiest way to avoid them (if you're having sex).
    The pill is only there to reduce chances of becoming pregnant.

As for statistics, the probabilities of 97% - 99% for contraception are not the probability of becoming pregnant everytime you have sex. It's the probability over a long period of regular sexual activity... I think someone like Jamie could be more precise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    ****ing hell grace! What kind of advice is that? The pill isn't there to replace condoms.

To the original poster, by using condoms, you're avoiding catching STIs and using condoms is the best and easiest way to avoid them (if you're having sex).

As for statistics, the probabilities of 97% - 99% for contraception are not the probability of becoming pregnant everytime you have sex. It's the probability over a long period of regular sexual activity... I think someone like Jamie could be more precise.
    The pill is designed to be used as a sole form of contraception. So actually, it is there to replace condoms, as far as pregnancy goes.

But for STIs of course, yes, use condoms.

the percentage given for effectiveness is the percentage of women that will NOT pregnant if they use condoms every time they have sex for a year. Therefore WITH condoms, 1-3% of women will get pregnant every year using condoms.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how this sort of figure can be worked out???

I have had sex far more than 200 times but according to those stats I should have 2 kids by now. It just doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just have to be careful.
    The effectiveness of all contraceptives are calculated using the Pearl Index - which gives your statistical chance of getting pregnant per 'hundred women years'.

[edit] - here's a more detailed description. http://www.natuerliche-verhuetung.de/en/pearlindex.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairey87)
    My mum told me to always use both the condom and something else such as the pill.
    Your mum deserves a medal! If only all mums could be as open and sensible about sex!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    The pill is designed to be used as a sole form of contraception. So actually, it is there to replace condoms, as far as pregnancy goes.

But for STIs of course, yes, use condoms.

the percentage given for effectiveness is the percentage of women that will NOT pregnant if they use condoms every time they have sex for a year. Therefore WITH condoms, 1-3% of women will get pregnant every year using condoms.
    As far as pregnancy goes, yes... but it doesn't replace a condom. Condoms are essential for STIs. I'm actually pretty worried by the number of people who don't bother with condoms. Fair enough, if they've been with their long-term boyfriend/girlfriend for a couple of years but most just aren't really bothered...
    A lot of STIs running around :puke:

Yeh i don't think its a percentage everytime you have sex, else that would mean my gf would have gotten up the duff a few times already lol.
    Anywho, contraceptive pill is of course 99% effective when used properly, as compared to rates of circa 95% for properly used condoms. AS most people don't use condoms entirely properly they are often more like 92% safe.

As for the pill, you will find the progesterone only pills are less safe than mixed pill (oestrogen containing) because they need to be taken on a much tighter time scale - within an hour or so each day (ie 10 everyday never before 9 or after 11). Which if you're a bit dippy may inc you risk of the pill 'failing'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euge)
    Think of it as 99% each time you use a condom. That way they are all seperate. Each condom has a 1% chance of breaking. That way, it's HUGELY unlikely that you will become pregnant.
    That's not the case though - it's much less than that on an individual basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Your mum deserves a medal! If only all mums could be as open and sensible about sex!
    My friend's parents are chemists. Ever since he was something like 14, his Mum would pack a box of condoms in his suitcase without telling him. We'd joke a lot about that...

ReputationRep:
    My friend's parents are chemists. Ever since he was something like 14, his Mum would pack a box of condoms in his suitcase without telling him. We'd joke a lot about that...
    ::slap:: PHARMACISTS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    ::slap:: PHARMACISTS
    Sorry that's bad translation on my part. He's French and his parents are "pharmaciens" but I thought pharamacists was the american word. Thanks for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That's not the case though - it's much less than that on an individual basis.
    Oh.

ReputationRep:
    condoms are pretty reliable as long as they are used correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euge)
    Oh.
    It's as Fluffy said - it's per "100 woman years" so if 100 women used that as their sole method of contraception for a year, between three and five would be pregnant at the end of it. This is compared with 1 of 100 women on the pill. If you look at this, the chances of failure every time you have sex are MUCH less than that!

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember being told to multiply the 'HWY' risk by 0.35 to get an idea of personal risk.

Could have dreamt that though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I seem to remember being told to multiply the 'HWY' risk by 0.35 to get an idea of personal risk.

Could have dreamt that though...
    'HWY'?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.