Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you do vet med with 2 science AS (bio and chem)? It seems most places want 3 for vet med, although they only ask for 2 for normal med!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final_F)
    Can you do vet med with 2 science AS (bio and chem)? It seems most places want 3 for vet med, although they only ask for 2 for normal med!? :confused:
    Well, i only did chem and bio and i have 2 offers, so yea! :p: - BUT it can reduce your chances if u only have 2, all depending upon WHERE u apply. My offers are from Liverpool and RVC, where Liverpool 'like' to see 3 sciences, but they also like to see all rounded applicants who study alternative, but academic subjects. RVC didn't mind what my 3rd subject was, and still dont for applicants - as far as im aware.

So i can quite surely say from looking at ur sig, that ur subject combo is fine

However - I remember that Bristol does 'prefer' 3 sciences, and you 'NEED' 3 sciences for both Glasgow and Edinburgh (which is why i couldnt apply)

Cambridge as u probs know, uses the college system where u apply to a college. I know that your chances of getting in with 2 sciences are far less for some colleges (tho i cant remember which), so if u are wanting to apply here, best to check out what each of the colleges say.

Hope that helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks that helps a lot! It's great to know that vet med isn't ruled out with my options (I haven't decided to do it but it's on my list of stuff I'm considering which is med/vet med/bio/biochem). I'll be doing work experience so hopefully that will help me to decide what is right for me!

I'm not too bothered about not being able to apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh cos I'm near London and I would probably like to stay in the south!

I can see how maths or physics might be useful for the things I want to do, but I just prefer other subjects a lot more.

Out of intrest, what else did you apply for (if you don't mind me asking!)? Would it be a bit weird applying for vet med at a couple of unis and then biology or something else at others (I get the impression people who want to do medicine use their whole application to do so!)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProvenAngel)
    and you 'NEED' 3 sciences for both Glasgow and Edinburgh (which is why i couldnt apply)
    I am studying vet med at Glasgow and I only did Chem and Bio at school. They didnt even mind that that was all I was doing, I'd dropped my 3rd subject (maths) by the time I went to my interview.
    I also know a girl from my school who only did Chem and Bio (and Music) and is now studying at Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voodooshaman)
    I am studying vet med at Glasgow and I only did Chem and Bio at school. They didnt even mind that that was all I was doing, I'd dropped my 3rd subject (maths) by the time I went to my interview.
    I also know a girl from my school who only did Chem and Bio (and Music) and is now studying at Edinburgh.
    That's interesting. It does indeed say on the sites that they want bio and chem and either physics or maths, but their policy might have been different a couple of years back?

ReputationRep:
    One of the students from Glasgow said that too, and told me i did have a chance!...so i wrote to both Edinburgh and Glasgow before i decided where to apply, and Edinburgh wrote me a lovely letter back saying unfortunately i would need the 3 sciences, and the admissions tutor at Glasgow called me and said in order to be considered I would have had to study BOTH AS maths AND physics in my A2 year!

*Now feels all confuzzled, but hopes voodooshaman is right for other applicants sake* :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks that helps a lot! It's great to know that vet med isn't ruled out with my options (I haven't decided to do it but it's on my list of stuff I'm considering which is med/vet med/bio/biochem). I'll be doing work experience so hopefully that will help me to decide what is right for me!

I'm not too bothered about not being able to apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh cos I'm near London and I would probably like to stay in the south!

I can see how maths or physics might be useful for the things I want to do, but I just prefer other subjects a lot more.

Out of intrest, what else did you apply for (if you don't mind me asking!)? Would it be a bit weird applying for vet med at a couple of unis and then biology or something else at others (I get the impression people who want to do medicine use their whole application to do so!)?
    AAWWW, no probs at all

You can only apply to 4 vetschools. I applied to Liverpool, RVC, Bristol, and Cambridge (Trinity Hall) and left the other 2 places on my UCAS form completely empty, coz i knew if i didnt get in i wanted to reapply.

But yea, the vetschools say u can apply for something like biology as a backup, without it putting u at a disadvantage. (which is nice! )

ReputationRep:
    AAWWW, no probs at all

You can only apply to 4 vetschools. I applied to Liverpool, RVC, Bristol, and Cambridge (Trinity Hall) and left the other 2 places on my UCAS form completely empty, coz i knew if i didnt get in i wanted to reapply.

But yea, the vetschools say u can apply for something like biology as a backup, without it putting u at a disadvantage. (which is nice! )
    Hmmm only 4 - didn't know that! Is it the same for med?

Yeah, you've been a real help! All the best for vet med at uni! I'm sure you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm only 4 - didn't know that! Is it the same for med?

Yeah, you've been a real help! All the best for vet med at uni! I'm sure you'll be fine!
    Yep, same for med, just the 4.

And thank u! I hope i am fine! *big hug to another clearly lovely person of TSR* :p:

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yep, same for med, just the 4.

And thank u! I hope i am fine! *big hug to another clearly lovely person of TSR* :p:

Good luck
    Erm sorry - 1 more question. Did you do another science just to AS (as I thought that Cam want one to AS if you only have 2 sciences to A2)? Oh and I can find out which colleges would accept me with 2 from the website?

ReputationRep:
    Erm sorry - 1 more question. Did you do another science just to AS (as I thought that Cam want one to AS if you only have 2 sciences to A2)? Oh and I can find out which colleges would accept me with 2 from the website?
    Nope, i just did 2 sciences for AS as well (Bio, Chem, Business stud, Eng lit)

and yea, look at the websites and if in doubt call/email them, or speak to them on an open day.

I think most do like a 3rd science at AS, but I took a gamble and still got an interview :p: So yea, MAYBE that was cheating a bit, but they never turned around and straight -off rejected me! :p: I even spoke to one of the admissions tutors and he told me i had a chance, but only in a college where 2 sciences is acceptable. So, do your research! (as boring as it may be!)

ReputationRep:
    That is for advanced highers. For A Levels you have to be doing 3 subjects for vet med and for Edinburgh and Glasgow they have to be 3 sciences/maths.

the admissions tutor at Glasgow called me and said in order to be considered I would have had to study BOTH AS maths AND physics in my A2 year!
    I only did maths to gcse, and am at Glasgow, so I don't know why they said that! (I did physics to A2 though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    I only did maths to gcse, and am at Glasgow, so I don't know why they said that! (I did physics to A2 though).
    I take it you did A2 chem and biology as well then? Yea, i think thats coz u had physics too. From what they said, i think it was because it would have taken me a further 2 years if i was gonna start another science A level and carry it onto A2. So they said to make up the points in just ONE year, id have to do both AS maths and physics. (if u can understand that babble!!) :p:

ReputationRep:
    That is for advanced highers. For A Levels you have to be doing 3 subjects for vet med and for Edinburgh and Glasgow they have to be 3 sciences/maths.
    Ah my mistake, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I take it you did A2 chem and biology as well then? Yea, i think thats coz u had physics too. From what they said, i think it was because it would have taken me a further 2 years if i was gonna start another science A level and carry it onto A2. So they said to make up the points in just ONE year, id have to do both AS maths and physics. (if u can understand that babble!!) :p:
    Yeh I did and yeh that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I did and yeh that makes sense!
    WOW - i actually made some sense! :eek: :p: good good!

.....guess thats sorted then! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you loom through the prospectuses. I think most uni's prefer you to have chemistry with another science but having 3 is prefereable. I think as long as you chose and academic subject as your third and have all the work experience, (liverpool want about 8 weeks) then you should be fine.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.