Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to Specsavers today and found out that my eyes have gone worse, :eek: I wear my glasses everyday all the time when Im faced with a TV, computer etc..., and my eyes have gone even more worse :eek: Wtf????
    I thought glasses are supposed to correct vision?

Eye experts - could you please answer the following questions.

1) Whats an astigmatism? I have this in my left eye.
    2) I have been told to get toric lenses, if I want contact lenses, are there daily toric lenses?
    3) Could someone please explain my prescription.
    Right eye (distance)- sph = -3.00
    Left eye (distance) - sph = -1.50, cyl = -2.75, axis = 162

Love BlueAngel xxx

ReputationRep:
    Glasses are suppose to aid your vision, non?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Your eyes may still get worse even though you wear glasses. They just correct what you are now. I think your eyes change until you're 21, but even then they can change later.

Astigmatism is when your eyes are shaped like rugby balls rather than footballs.

You're more short sighted in your right eye than your left.

ReputationRep:
    better glasses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Your eyes may still get worse even though you wear glasses. They just correct what you are now. I think your eyes change until you're 21, but even then they can change later.

Astigmatism is when your eyes are shaped like rugby balls rather than footballs.

You're more short sighted in your right eye than your left.
    Rugby balls,lol, I knew I was deformed in one eye :rolleyes: My eye is itchy now thinking about it.

Thnaks for that,the good thing is, I used to be more short sighted in my left, but my left got better and my right got worse.

Do you thinks its wise for me to get contact lenses? Cos if I get glasses now, theyre going to be thick lenses My current ones arent clear anymore, and if I purchase new glasses/lenses, I wont get them for another week, cos they need special lenses, and I have my stupid driving test soon :mad:

Also I have another problem, cos I have a very small face, I usually have to get kiddie glasses, and they told me to get adult glasses for thick lenses.
    No way am I wearing huge glasses, plus the nicer ones are dead expensive, for gods sake :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I just feel like screaming

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    better glasses?
    huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    WTF?! No it doesn't!
    Astigmatism is when the back of your eyes (don't know the English word - you know, deep inside your eyes on which the image reflects) is like, broken. I think crooked rather than smooth. It's got nothing to do with the shape of your eyes (imagine all those poor Chinese people with glasses). I mean, he'd have to have 1 round and 1 'rugby' eye. :rolleyes:

I have it too btw. And your sight is still pretty good trust me. I'm like, -10 and -8.5 or sth.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    Rugby balls,lol, I knew I was deformed in one eye :rolleyes: My eye is itchy now thinking about it.

Thnaks for that,the good thing is, I used to be more short sighted in my left, but my left got better and my right got worse.

Do you thinks its wise for me to get contact lenses? Cos if I get glasses now, theyre going to be thick lenses My current ones arent clear anymore, and if I purchase new glasses/lenses, I wont get them for another week, cos they need special lenses, and I have my stupid driving test soon :mad:

Also I have another problem, cos I have a very small face, I usually have to get kiddie glasses, and they told me to get adult glasses for thick lenses.
    No way am I wearing huge glasses, plus the nicer ones are dead expensive, for gods sake :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Go and ask you optician. They will know what contact lenses are right for you.

And I'm -3 and my lenses are not that thick!

ReputationRep:

They can make the glass thinner for you and with -3 they can't be very thick!

ReputationRep:
    i found my eye sight getting worse when i take the glasses of

not sure why

so i just wear mine less. but im just a tad short sighted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ModernHippie)
    WTF?! No it doesn't!
    Astigmatism is when the back of your eyes (don't know the English word - you know, deep inside your eyes on which the image reflects) is like, broken. I think crooked rather than smooth. It's got nothing to do with the shape of your eyes (imagine all those poor Chinese people with glasses). I mean, he'd have to have 1 round and 1 'rugby' eye. :rolleyes:

I have it too btw. And your sight is still pretty good trust me. I'm like, -10 and -8.5 or sth.
    Well, that's what my optician told me

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the optometrist and get a new prescription. Yes, glasses can encourage your eyesight to get better but if you are naturally disposed to have it get worse then it probably will.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ModernHippie)
    They can make the glass thinner for you and with -3 they can't be very thick!
    Then why was my optician scaring me, he kept saying they will be thick, they will be thick. :mad:

I dont know if Ive read my prescription right, lol, the optician has put a line over the first number :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Just go to the optometrist and get a new prescription. Yes, glasses can encourage your eyesight to get better but if you are naturally disposed to have it get worse then it probably will.

MB
    What are they? :confused: I thought they were the same as opticians???

ReputationRep:
    1) Whats an astigmatism? I have this in my left eye.
    2) I have been told to get toric lenses, if I want contact lenses, are there daily toric lenses?
    astigmatism is irregular curvature of the eye - not necessarily like a rugby ball because it depends on the angle. I have it in both my eyes.

My optician told me that if the astigmatism is horizontal or vertical it can be corrected by daily lenses but because mine is oblique I have to have toric lenses - these are only available as monthlies unfortunately but I was told that they are working on inventing daily ones. But to be honest monthly contacts have worked out fine for me - using solutions etc seems like a lot more work but its not really.

Also I have found that contacts have really improved my vision, so perhaps they are worth a go. But they don't come cheap - £27.50 a month for ProClear toric lenses and solution.

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, glasses just don't actually correct your vision in the sense of "healing" them. They just correct what you see - i.e. so it's not blurry.

ReputationRep:
    Then why was my optician scaring me, he kept saying they will be thick, they will be thick. :mad:

I dont know if Ive read my prescription right, lol, the optician has put a line over the first number :confused:
    its like my doc telling me about my migranes....

they like to scare you so you go back... i hated were i got my glasses done to...

the guy said they would be thick.... but my eyesight is practicaly fine

that was weird
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

My -3 lenses are about half a centimetre at their thickest. And they fit into my nice small frames well.

My optician puts the line over the number too. It's just a minus sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_wise)
    astigmatism is irregular curvature of the eye - not necessarily like a rugby ball because it depends on the angle. I have it in both my eyes.

My optician told me that if the astigmatism is horizontal or vertical it can be corrected by daily lenses but because mine is oblique I have to have toric lenses - these are only available as monthlies unfortunately but I was told that they are working on inventing daily ones. But to be honest monthly contacts have worked out fine for me - using solutions etc seems like a lot more work but its not really.

Also I have found that contacts have really improved my vision, so perhaps they are worth a go. But they don't come cheap - £27.50 a month for ProClear toric lenses and solution.

hope this helps!
    Yes that helped very much, thank you. So my left eye is oblique, and my right eye isnt, ok. The monthly torics in specsavers are £15. I did actually want dailies, but oh well. And for some odd reason, the opticians told me that the contact lenses wont be clear as glasses.

ReputationRep:
    Glasses do not improve your eyes, they just aid your vision by compensating for any deformities in the eye. As the body grows, so do the deformities. Your vision will get worse when the eyes grow.

an optometrist is essentially an optician.

learn to google.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.