Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_thompson)
    does anybody know the applicants success % for economics at cambridge, coz i cant find it, thanks.......
    They don't publish it, just a colour chart saying above/below/average etc.

As someone else said, attempting the tactical thing doesn't work as they always fluctuate up and down each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Lowest, 2.8.

You wanna go to Hilda's?
    I submitted an open application,and they put me to that college.we had 10 candicates that day,the tutor said last year,they only intook 3.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boss-dior)
    about E&M at st hilda's??
    thanks
    i would think that wouldn't be very high......as only people who apply through open application and r female obviously get placed at st hildas......i'd guess its normal around 4:1.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boss-dior)
    I submitted an open application,and they put me to that college.we had 10 candicates that day,the tutor said last year,they only intook 3.....
    wow.......only 10 candidates?! thats brilliant. we had 18, and my friend's college had 40. Queen's only accept around 4 i think which is worrying!

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

i am interested in economics, and i was wondering whether i should apply to oxford or cambridge next year for economics?

does anybody have any statistical figures on the acceptance rates at ox and cam?

i know that it varies for each college, and that if u apply to the right college the acceptance ratios can be much better, but i would appreciate some info about this.

also, in general, where wud u recommend to apply 4 economics, ox or cam, or is it irrelevant (probably is) as they are top anyway.

thankas a lot, info appreciated.

Apparently I've heard that Cambridge Econ is VERY maths based, so is quite difficult. LSE is over rated i think...cos when u look at league tables it doesn't even come top for econ.....and it's very hard 2 get in cos they don't interview. most straight A grade students r rejected strangely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    wow.......only 10 candidates?! thats brilliant. we had 18, and my friend's college had 40. Queen's only accept around 4 i think which is worrying!
    The most evil I've seen in the last week is history at Oriel - 84 candidates for 8 places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    The most evil I've seen in the last week is history at Oriel - 84 candidates for 8 places.
    why bother applying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    Apparently I've heard that Cambridge Econ is VERY maths based, so is quite difficult. LSE is over rated i think...cos when u look at league tables it doesn't even come top for econ.....and it's very hard 2 get in cos they don't interview. most straight A grade students r rejected strangely.
    do u know the % of applicants success in gettin in for economics at cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    please some1 help me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I mean *really* difficult. No, *REALLY* difficult. Even more competitive than average Oxbridge degree.
    It isnt though- common misconception! Your chance of getting a place to do PPE is 29% I think, which is far from being the most competitive. Oxford also do Economics and management, but thats much more difficult to get into, less then 20%. Cambridge do straight economics, and I think they might be better at it then Oxford at undergrad level. I could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    It isnt though- common misconception! Your chance of getting a place to do PPE is 29% I think, which is far from being the most competitive. Oxford also do Economics and management, but thats much more difficult to get into, less then 20%. Cambridge do straight economics, and I think they might be better at it then Oxford at undergrad level. I could be wrong though.
    true....actually to be picky it is 30%.

yes, economics at cambridge is definitely ebtter than any economics related egrees at ox, its much more focused and purer economics, with some maths involved. for a person wanting to do economics, cam is probably the better place, unless u want it mixed with other things which ox have........

does any1 know the successful applicants % for economics at cambridge...please!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can tell me please what questions they were asked at their recent econ or PPE interviews? I'll apply next year. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    They don't publish it, just a colour chart saying above/below/average etc.

As someone else said, attempting the tactical thing doesn't work as they always fluctuate up and down each year.

I attempted the tactical thing, applying to Worcester 'coz their app/places ratio was v.high, so I hoped every1 wud be put off by that. However there were more applicants than ever this year. So my advice is, if you want to do the tactical thing then make an open application

ReputationRep:
    please some1 help me!!!

The best thing I can suggest is emailing the individual colleges and asking. They'll probably tell you.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.