The Student Room Group

Do you revise better in the library than at home?

A few of my coursemates want to meet up in the library and revise. I'd like to because at least it's social and it'll be less stressful, but at the same time, most of my revision consists of:

typing up notes
using the laptop to read lecture notes
reading articles from the internet/laptop

So, I'm more inclined to have everything set up at home than to bring my laptop to the library everyday. I have tried to study in the library (by writing notes etc) once and I remember not getting much done. As soon as I got home I was working well again. I've found that it's only good to revise in the library once I've covered everything myself and just go near the end of my revision to talk/clarify with mates. Thoughts? Does the library work for you? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HOME. Library= friends= conversation= distraction= epic failure!
Reply 2
People say home has too many distractions, I think it's the other way round.
Reply 3
im a coffee shop girl. anywhere without the internet tbh.
Reply 4
I can only revise at home cuddled up on the couch watching a decent comedy on TV with Lady GaGa playing in the background :smile:
If I'm in silence, I simply cannot focus. If I'm around other people, then I get far too distracted.
TV + music @ home = perfect revision environment for me
Reply 5
never ever use the library, but i revise online so thats probably why xD
And can lounge around semi-naked with chocolate all smeared over my face with music on full blast with no one caring :biggrin:
i cant revise at home at all, my room at uni is slightly better. but i work amazingly well in the library, far less distractions and a nice quiet environment :smile:
You have a point in what you say. However, I won't say reading in the Library is better neither will I give the credit to reading at home. It all depends on the on the student. I think, every student should unravel his or her abilities; understand his or her wits and follow course. So, in a nutshell, we cannot have an over riding conclusion on this issue as passing the verdict in favour of reading at home or in the Library. It all depends on the mind set of the Individual or what the body desires at a particular point in time.
Saint Eustace
I can't work with any kind of distractions. In the uni library without my laptop is almost the only place I can work.
I suppose it's better to revise with a relative e.g. when I revise with my sister in the library we do start talking about random crap, but in the end we get work done

or with a "subject friend" i.e. a person you're not terribly close to, but you do the same subject so it's easier to talk about it and you won't start talking about other things.
Reply 10
c0nfus3d
HOME. Library= friends= conversation= distraction= epic failure!

You can't revise without friends?..... Tell them F off bitch.

Library is better for me.
Reply 11
No way can i work in the library, too many distraction such as girls walking around.
I don't know actually. "Home" aka my room because my housemates can make sure I work. I'd probably use the internet to procrastinate both at home and in the library anyways.
Reply 13
Yes.

In a library, it's either work or nothing (I don't read).

At home, if it's not work, it's PS3, Wii, TV, Laptop...a whole range of things.

Therefore, yes, I work better in Library.

Do I work enough...no. :frown:
i'm more productive at home.
Silent study area in the library, headphones in and I'm away.

I can't work at home, the internet proves too much of a distraction.
I always learn really well at the library, but that's if I have the notes to revise from in front of me
Romystarr
im a coffee shop girl. anywhere without the internet tbh.

:ditto: If I'm nowhere near my laptop then I can do lots of work. Home for me means sitting in front of my laptop and doing work which means I just end up on TSR.
Reply 18
I tend to work better in the library at school, but that's only if I don't sit with my friends and get distracted. I get distracted at home a lot quicker than I do at school.
Reply 19
Home. Last time I sat in the library - which in fact was yesterday - I had kids annoying me and just grrr.

Latest