Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all i'm starting my GCSE's in September like alot of 14/15 yr olds. One of my subjects i will be taking is Learing For Life And Work. The examination board is CCEA, that the only exam board i know that does the subject. I downloaded the Specification off their site, (anyone who wants to download it, its the same as the Specification for the first teaching in september 2003)
    Anyways, I was just wondering if any can give me, and others, some pointers of the subject, like what should we do to get a good grade etc.....
    Cheers :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Learning for life and work - that's got to be the strangest subject I've heard of. It sounds to me like the kind of subject that you will do very well at if you are doing to do well at your other subjects. It probably combines skills from many subjects and compiles it into one.

At my school we were given a "leaver's package" which was taught to us in our tutorial lessons in the last seven or so weeks of the year. They included stuff like learning how to write cheques correctly (probably the most patronising lesson I've ever had) to first aid and drug awareness. "Learning for life and work" is probably a variation of this, like PSCHE or "leaning to Learn".

If you are a quite intelligent person I think you sould get a good grade at this subject just by using things that you have learnt from other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    this sounds terrible. so terrible i am going to do some research...

ok, so let me give it a review:

first thing i noticed was that its by CCEA. who the hell even does their exams?

second, it's modular. modular GCSEs are the root of all evil, and completely worthless.

third - 'make an action plan' - yeah, this is ********

group discussion - oh please.

application of number - "show you can calculate a percentage...", "use a calculator..."

i could go on, but i don't want to. it looks like it's a subject anyone who has 2 brain cells and isn't a total recluse (it seems to be centred around 'discussions') can get an A* in. however, just the name makes it sound like a completely worthless subject, so don't expect it to carry much weight later on...

if i were you, i would swap it for another more sensible subject. if your school makes you do it, either get your parents to write a threatening letter to the headmaster, saying how it is against your religion to do subjects like this, or kill yourself.

ReputationRep:
    note: don't actually kill yourself, i would hate to have a death on my conscience.

ReputationRep:
    lol ppl in Northern Ireland do CCEA, ppl in england and scotland dont do it as far as i know

ReputationRep:
    gosh, how ignorant of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    gosh, how ignorant of me.
    lol

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.