The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
extractor fans have motors right? this could be getting overheated in this heat maybe, not sure to be honest.
Reply 2
I thought of that, yep its just a motor. I am going to rebuild it tomorrow basicialy just take it apart and get all the dust out. I wonder if motors do overheat?
Reply 3
AT82
I thought of that, yep its just a motor. I am going to rebuild it tomorrow basicialy just take it apart and get all the dust out. I wonder if motors do overheat?

yeah of course they overheat, especially in this weather, dont forget it has current going through it, so it will heat up due to friction, and this heat will not be helping it. :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah they can overheat. Maybe even to the point where the metal expands and seizes itself
Reply 5
Thanks, I thought usualy when they overheat they just fail for good just never experienced this before. Could this be some kind of thermal protection? Its very odd, if its left on it turns itself off then suddenly comes back on again a few minutes/hours later.
Reply 6
It might have some thermal protection. If there is, you'll probably see a thermistor of some sort.

Maybe a tiiiiny dab of oil on the main rotor will help it a bit
Reply 7
AT82
Thanks, I thought usualy when they overheat they just fail for good just never experienced this before. Could this be some kind of thermal protection? Its very odd, if its left on it turns itself off then suddenly comes back on again a few minutes/hours later.

well once the metal expands, it shrinks again usally, this is probably why it comes on after a few mins/hours later. definitely sounds like overheating issues, erm it wouldn't be anything to do with power surges would it? i highly doubt i, but just a thought.
Reply 8
Flukey
well once the metal expands, it shrinks again usally, this is probably why it comes on after a few mins/hours later. definitely sounds like overheating issues, erm it wouldn't be anything to do with power surges would it? i highly doubt i, but just a thought.

Nope, the extractor fan has its own dedicated circuit, its not wired into the ring main so its almost certainly not a power surge. The motor overheating does sound like the most likely cuase.
Reply 9
AT82
Nope, the extractor fan has its own dedicated circuit, its not wired into the ring main so its almost certainly not a power surge. The motor overheating does sound like the most likely cuase.

can you decrease the amount of electricity being supplied to the extractor fan? e.g. by using a step down transformer?
Reply 10
Flukey
can you decrease the amount of electricity being supplied to the extractor fan? e.g. by using a step down transformer?

Erm nice idea, they are usualy fairly complex to wire though aren't they? I don't want to start soldering transformers into my parents mains. Its full of dust at the moment so I am hoping the overhual might help solve the problem. Its is very loud though so a reduced voltage might well be a lot better.
Reply 11
AT82
Erm nice idea, they are usualy fairly complex to wire though aren't they? I don't want to start soldering transformers into my parents mains. Its full of dust at the moment so I am hoping the overhual might help solve the problem. Its is very loud though so a reduced voltage might well be a lot better.

they shouldn't be too bad to wire, if you find a good tutorial. this site is pretty good for a tuition on low voltage transformers. http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/Transformers/trans.html

a reduced voltage would do the trick, aswell as oiling the motor a bit. :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah that kind of transformer is easy to wire, I wired one up for the lights in the batrhoom as they are 12v halogens.

This extractor fan is 240v though, so the voltage cannot be reduced too much. I reckon 180v would be about right.
Reply 13
AT82
Yeah that kind of transformer is easy to wire, I wired one up for the lights in the batrhoom as they are 12v halogens.

This extractor fan is 240v though, so the voltage cannot be reduced too much. I reckon 180v would be about right.

oh right i didn't know that much voltage was going through it, know of any electricians that you could ask for some advice? :smile:
Reply 14
Flukey
oh right i didn't know that much voltage was going through it, know of any electricians that you could ask for some advice? :smile:

My uncle used to wire fighter gets for the British Aeorospace but I don't want to put him out. I've just hoovered it all out for now, it seems to be working if it happens again I will do the oil trick, if it still does it its time to reduce the voltage.
Reply 15
AT82
My uncle used to wire fighter gets for the British Aeorospace but I don't want to put him out. I've just hoovered it all out for now, it seems to be working if it happens again I will do the oil trick, if it still does it its time to reduce the voltage.

oh right cool so your uncle is a knowlegable guy. :smile:

ermm surely it wouldn't hurt, if you just give him a bell? :smile:
Reply 16
Flukey
oh right cool so your uncle is a knowlegable guy. :smile:

ermm surely it wouldn't hurt, if you just give him a bell? :smile:

Its just not the right time with my grandad dying and everything, my uncles done most of the funeral arangements, he has only just gone back to work this week. I will ask him when I next see him though.
Reply 17
AT82
Its just not the right time with my grandad dying and everything, my uncles done most of the funeral arangements, he has only just gone back to work this week. I will ask him when I next see him though.

oh in that case, thats a fair point, i would give it a while then. Yeah, when you think it is a good time just ask him, im sure he wont mind and he will be happy to help you. ermmm i wonder if my physics teacher would know?
Reply 18
Flukey
oh in that case, thats a fair point, i would give it a while then. Yeah, when you think it is a good time just ask him, im sure he wont mind and he will be happy to help you. ermmm i wonder if my physics teacher would know?

Possibly, if it is the motor we are talking about here rather than wiring then it certainly is a physics issue, i.e how heat can cause a motor to cut out.

I am surprised Virign Trains have not used this excuse, sorry you cannot come out of the toilet right now becuase the motors jam when it gets above 22c. The motors should work again in 6 hours time.
Reply 19
AT82
Possibly, if it is the motor we are talking about here rather than wiring then it certainly is a physics issue, i.e how heat can cause a motor to cut out.

I am surprised Virign Trains have not used this excuse, sorry you cannot come out of the toilet right now becuase the motors jam when it gets above 22c. The motors should work again in 6 hours time.

haha yes good point, errrmmm it may not neccessarily be a heat issue when put into that context as i assume it has been alright in hot summers before. i can't think of what it may be, i shall ask my physics teacher for you, she knows everything!! she is a bloody guru i tell you! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending