Turn on thread page Beta

Are islams "teachings" to blame for suicide bombings? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Read his post again. Unless I've gone blind, he didn't use the word muslim.
    thanking you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    go and take a sociology course then.and i didnt mean muslims necessarily, but asians, which is why i used the term asians.who do far better than any other ethnic groups at school.there is a large gap between the top performers, who are indian and chinese, and west african, and the next groups, whites, afro carribs, and bangladeshis.this is fact.go and look for some stats if you wish.contact the home office.read the haralambos sociology book.
    Well I assumed you were freely swinging between "Muslim" and "Asian", otherwise it'd be completely non sequiter logic. You responded to a post about Muslims in a thread about Muslims with some stuff about Muslims, and then started going off on a tangent about the achievements of the Chinese and Indian groups as if they were the same thing. What's a guy to do..

I've never heard of a Muslim model minority, so I must assume you simply threw in the other stuff because you were so desperate to fill a page, but had ran out of things to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Read his post again. Unless I've gone blind, he didn't use the word muslim.
    Yes Zaf, I'm blind. That's why I managed to read the article in the first place, rather than tripping over my desk and falling out the window. It's interesting that you snapped out like that, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Well I assumed you were freely swinging between "Muslim" and "Asian", otherwise it'd be completely non sequiter logic. You responded to a post about Muslims in a thread about Muslims with some stuff about Muslims, and then started going off on a tangent about the achievements of the Chinese and Indian groups as if they were the same thing. What's a guy to do..

I've never heard of a Muslim model minority, so I must assume you simply threw in the other stuff because you were so desperate to fill a page, but had ran out of things to say.
    ive been giving 2 warning points recently, so i am not going to turn this into another slanging match.so whatever.people like you rarely distinguish between different races anyway.i was stating a point about asians, and how asians dont leech off britain, as someone said they did.muslims are included in this.work out the logic.
    and what kind of silly person would make things up in a form where they know everyone is relatively informed, and would know if it was ******** within minutes?not me......no more slanging matches please, things were going so well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    ive been giving 2 warning points recently, so i am not going to turn this into another slanging match.so whatever.people like you rarely distinguish between different races anyway.i was stating a point about asians, and how asians dont leech off britain, as someone said they did.muslims are included in this.work out the logic.
    and what kind of silly person would make things up in a form where they know everyone is relatively informed, and would know if it was ******** within minutes?not me......no more slanging matches please, things were going so well.
    People like me? I think that's the second time you've said that. Please do elaborate.

The person you were replying to was err.. talking about "Muslims", not "Asians", as I recall. Though I doubt the other Asians would be spared if he thought they had a bad habit for exploding, too.

Things get made up all the time in here. I've sort-of gotten into the habit of asking for sources for anything I've never heard of before (i.e. my asumption you meant Muslims academically overachieved).

ReputationRep:
    HIYA!

The bombings in london are great tragedy and no faith permits the killing of any innocent life!!

The events in London has Muslims to questin their faith themselves, Ilsma a religioun that teaches tolerance to all kinds of people, be it those who beleive in God or not.

The 'fanatics', 'extremists' and 'fundamentalist', that are amongs not only in Islam but in all religiouns. Are all bound by one conviction, the convistion being that the continuous oppression and slaughter and massacre of muslims in Bosnia, Chechniya, Iraq, Phallestine must be stopped. These individuals that choose to suicide bombings are so over come by this hatred that they cant see anything else.

This no justification to take innocent human life, however it must be understood that these attrocities are taking place, and must be resolved through diplomacy.

Britain the US and Europe must seriously re thing its current Foreign policy and open their eyes to the hatred that this policy is causing.

There is no place for those who commit such attrocities in Islam or in any religioun.
    The prophet Muhammad (PBUH) taught that any individual that hurs his neighbour, will be regared as if he hurt the whole of mankind. These teachings are the purest form of Islam.

The hatred that is quite clear in todays society is not a result of Islamic teachings. It is a result of the hatred in this world and the extremists teachings of scholars that are not islamic at all, but in fact they have twisted the scriptures of the Holy Qur'an to fuel their own twisted ideologies.

My message to everyone out there is not to be brain washed by what they see on the media and please, open your eyes to the hatred in this world. We must be united in ur fight against terrorism and come together to overcome this.

At the end of the day regardless of faith, we are all human beings, if one gets hurt we all get hurt!

the bombings in london not killed people of all faiths, in my oppinnion the bombers have acted completely out of context and committed murder against their own brothers and sisters, a sin Islam completely detests.

We are all the children of God, only differance is we have taken differant routes to the ultimate goal!

My preyers are with those who were killed in london and all over the world!

ReputationRep:
    What a surprise this thread looks like its going into a 'slanaging macth'. Wonder why?? I'm now seeing a trend, i hope the mods are too.

ReputationRep:
    This is by a researcher who analysed and deconstructed Islams Holy book. Have it's a look it's an eye opener.

http://www.prophetofdoom.net/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    Do you think that the way people are "obsessed" with the Koran is the main reason for these suicide bombings? Just wondering.............
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Yes
    I'll agree with that to extent. Some idiots misinterpret it and blow themselves up. Obsession isn't the right phrase for it - you can be devout to your religion, but doesn't mean you're going to become a suicide bomber. Misinterpreting the Koran can lead to extremism..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md103)
    This is by a researcher who analysed and deconstructed Islams Holy book. Have it's a look it's an eye opener.

http://www.prophetofdoom.net/
    And you honestly think this "researcher" approached Islam's Holy Book in an impartial manner? You absolutely cannot be serious
    Any sane mind can intantly notice that the site you posted is an obvious anti-islamic site produced by a man who abhors Islam. Such sites are not worth going to as it does not provide a well-balanced and fair scrutinization of Islam

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with both of the options, ISLAM does cause nutters to kill people because of certain verses in the koran, but I also believe in a world where islam does not exsit there would still be suicide bombings, but I doubt there would be as many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam_boy)
    And you honestly think this "researcher" approached Islam's Holy Book in an impartial manner? You absolutely cannot be serious
    Any sane mind can intantly notice that the site you posted is an obvious anti-islamic site produced by a man who abhors Islam. Such sites are not worth going to as it does not provide a well-balanced and fair scrutinization of Islam
    in addition to that, they sometimes make things up entirely. This used to be much more common and if you read older books that try to criticise Islam, please make sure you are aware that it was common-place for these "educated authors" to make up verses from the Qur'an which don't even exist.

Nowadays, although such blatant lies are less common, what is done instead is to pick out a small sentence and misconstrue it. One common example is that people sometimes say that Islam commands its followers to kill disbelievers:

"And make ready against them (i.e. disbelievers) all you can of power, including steeds of war to threaten the enemy of Allâh and your enemy, and others besides whom, you may not know but whom Allâh does know. And whatever you shall spend in the Cause of Allâh shall be repaid unto you, and you shall not be treated unjustly." - translation of Surah 8 verse 60

What's ignored is the following two verses:

"But if they incline to peace, you also incline to it, and (put your) trust in Allâh. Verily, He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower. And if they intend to deceive you, then verily, Allâh is All-Sufficient for you. He it is Who has supported you with His Help and with the believers. "

One other important thing you should know is that the Qur'an often expands on what it says in one place elsewhere. In other words, on picking out a small sentence from part of a verse in one chapter it is possible to misconstrue what it means on purpose, but if the Qur'an is read as a whole, it is pretty apparent what the sentence actually means and it is impossible to misconstrue unless someone on purpose wants to do so. The verses which I just mentioned show clearly that whatever anyone says to you about the Qur'an commanding muslims to kill all disbelievers is a load of rubbish.

EDIT: I decided to address something which somebody else has posted in this thread

He says that the Qur'an is opposed to people gaining any kind of wealth and quotes this:
    "Let not, therefore, their riches or their children amaze thee. God is only minded to punish them by these, in this life present, and that their souls may depart while they are unbelievers." Sura 9:54

If you read the surrounding verses around this quotation, you can see that this is said in reference to a particular set of people and is saying let not the riches of these PARTICULAR people fool you, they are destined for hell. I haven't included the surrounding verses here because there are a lot to look at, but I just wish people could be more objective and sceptical when reading claims of this nature. The translation of the Qur'an is freely available on the internet, for example here: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/
    Please make sure you look at it to verify any claims anyone might make about the Qur'an, and don't just look there, also look at what muslims have to say about the verses you find, as this is also freely available over google. There is no reason why you should let yourself be fooled by miscontructed quotations.

In reality, Islam is not against people being powerful or rich, if you read other parts of the Qur'an you can find quotations that agree with this idea. As just one example, Solomon (pbuh) was a prophet of God and also rich and powerful. It is, however, accepted as a statement of reality in Islam that richer people will be more likely to be ungrateful to God, thinking they "already have all they need", and so they end up not being righteous. That doesn't mean that being rich is a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that the way many polls here at TSR are created, is biased.

The question is whether to "BLAME" Islam.

The subconscious question many might want to / are answering is whether these attacks would have happended without Islam.

It is obvious that without Islam these attacks specifically would not have happened. But I think Islam is still not to blame.

Without the Pakistani nation these horrible attacks would not have happened. Is Pakistan to blame?
    Without Hitler's mother Hitler would not have become what he did. Is she to blame? And if you now answer: partly. Well without Hitler's grandgrand... you know what I mean. We should be more careful posing polls.

My opinion: Misusing sth (religion, quotes, ..) does not mean that it is the fault of the sth misused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    Do you think that the way people are "obsessed" with the Koran is the main reason for these suicide bombings? Just wondering.............
    The idea of Jihad and dieing in the name of Islam has led to suside bombings in the recent yr as people think they 'll go to heaven if they kill themselves and others in the name of Islam. BUT the idea of "suiside bombers" has always existed...remember the japanese pilots in WWII...

We are all going to die soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali_g)

My opinion: Misusing sth (religion, quotes, ..) does not mean that it is the fault of the sth misused.
    In the case of a religion which claims to be simple and easy to understand, however, either the suicide bombers have understood ot correctly or its claim is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    In the case of a religion which claims to be simple and easy to understand, however, either the suicide bombers have understood ot correctly or its claim is untrue.
    The first question is whether "Islam" claims to be simple in the way we understand the word. It claims that it has one true message. THough to follow this message is difficult. It is what makes us human what makes the simple things difficult. "Pray five times a day" is a simple message but actually doing it might be difficult. Live in peace and do not kill innocent people is a simple message but living in certain areas in the world under severe living conditions (I do not want to justify it, I just can understand how people might become willing to do terrorist attacks) makes it difficult to be e.g. peace-loving. And it is much easier to get support from other areas with the same conditions if there is a common bond like a religion.

The principles of Math (saw that you are studying maht, guess it becomes more difficult at university level ) are simple but not everybody understands it especially if a person is less educated- as it is the case in many developing (Muslim) countries.

Again I ould say that if sth (even simple) is misused, it does not to mean that it is not simple. You could misuse e.g. every political concept, but it does not mean that the concept is complex. I might just want to use it in order to convince others who believe in the concept but have not fully understand it (partly because of a lack of education).

ReputationRep:
    The bombs in London certainatly wouldn't have happened without Islam, or World Trade Centre disaster, or all the suicide bombing on civilians in Iraq............

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.