Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    This is a good idea, almost as good as mine
    Yay! My interpretation of the male psyche isn't completely off then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Unfortunately I put my number into his phone myself and called my own phone to get his number. There's no way he could have the wrong number. God I'm stupid. No wonder he thinks I'm interested.
    Well that's my plan down the pan isn't it? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should just go out with him for a drink or something, for all you know the only reason he's so keen is that HE feels you have suddenly clicked and it's love at first sight (lol)...for all you know you may actually get on really well.

Hopefully he's not so keen that he'll invite you back to his place or try to leap onto you in the pub or something

And yes...you are stupid :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Could back fire if he isnt interested in dating and persists in wanting to meet up tho....

Perhaps arrange to meet him then dont turn up? OK no thats evil.

Ummmm, burn down the gym. then you won't ever see him again.

no dont do that.

ummmm, trying to be helpful but my innate lack of seriousness keeps taking over.

errrrrr, say u have an internet stalker (that guy from just now who is stalking all the girls in the H&R forum i notice -he'll do) and you now have a deep mistrust of all men and never want to see any again.

alright i give up i'm useless.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know aylesbury was in the pitcairns?

Where the hell am i now then?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    There's always the good old.. "I'd love to see you, but I don't think my girlfriend would like it"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    I didnt know aylesbury was in the pitcairns?

Where the hell am i now then?

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    It's not? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Basically you're saying you don't find him attractive? If hes nice or whatever theres nothing stopping you, and first dates are always bloody hard, I know I always end up sounding like a complete tit the first couple of times I meet someone, when I'm not as nervous or I'm used to their company then I start acting more like myself, its unfair to write him off so early.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just not interested in him. I know I sound cold and hard, but that's the honest truth. I chatted to him for ages, and he was ok, but nothing is ever going to happen. Ever. There's just no chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, tell him that then. 'Hey I had a good time the other day but didn't really think we had much of a connection so don't think its such a good idea we go for this drink'

Not that hard is it?

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound really silly.

On Monday I met this guy at the gym. We were in the jacuzzi and got chatting. Anyway, we were talking for quite a while and getting on well, and arranged to meet for a drink in the bar afterwards. He was nice, about 18 months older than me, working in London and living not very far from where I live. Not really my type though. Anyway, when I went home, we exchanged numbers.

On Tuesday lunchtime he text me, just to ask "What's up?", basically. I think that's what put me off. It wasn't even 24 hours later. I wasn't that keen on him, and I don't really like being pestered. I probably wouldn't have minded if he'd left it a bit longer, but it was SO soon. So I put off texting him back because I didn't want to get drawn into a long text conversation. I was going to do it yesterday, but then I didn't, and I was going to do it today, but then I didn't. Then this evening he called me. I knew it was him before I even looked at my phone. Anyway, I didn't pick up because I wasn't sure what to say. Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd rather someone waited a while before texting, and didn't call at all until we'd seen each other a few times.

Now my problem is, he was nice. And I don't want to just ignore him, because I'll feel mean. On the other hand, I get the feeling that if I text him back, he won't stop texting me. I don't even text my friends anyway. I hardly ever use my phone, it bores me. I don't really want to talk to him on the phone either because I just know it will be awkward. And I don't especially want to go for a drink with him. Don't get me wrong, he's nice enough. I just don't think we hit it off enough.

So what do I do? Should I just ignore him? Or should I text him back and then try and cool it off gradually, before it even starts? Or what? I don't know. I'm confused.

Help!

Edit: also, if I just ignore him, you can bet your life I'll bump into him again at the gym. I have this knack....
    Seriously, just blank him, otherwise you're stuck with him. I speak from experience (lots of it), that when you're nice and merely try and spare others' feelings, it backfires on you so badly, and you end up with stalker-types.

Seriously, you don't know him. You've met him once for a short period of time, thus, if he's normal, he's not gonna be heart-broken by your ignoring him. I mean, would you? You'd probably just be like, "Ah well..." and move on, so that's the stance he should take. If however, he's absolutely gutted and suicidal that you don't text him, well then he's not normal anyway, so good escape! :p:

Seriously, just blank him. He sounds like he's got the dominant stalker gene.

ReputationRep:
    It's not? :confused:
    Theres an easy way to tell: is your father your nephew?

If he is then you are in the pitcairns which means that abingdon must be somewhere in the pacific ocean....

:eek: OH DEAR GOD WE'LL ALL BE KILLED!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Seriously, just blank him, otherwise you're stuck with him. I speak from experience (lots of it), that when you're nice and merely try and spare others' feelings, it backfires on you so badly, and you end up with stalker-types.

Seriously, you don't know him. You've met him once for a short period of time, thus, if he's normal, he's not gonna be heart-broken by your ignoring him. I mean, would you? You'd probably just be like, "Ah well..." and move on, so that's the stance he should take. If however, he's absolutely gutted and suicidal that you don't text him, well then he's not normal anyway, so good escape! :p:

Seriously, just blank him. He sounds like he's got the dominant stalker gene.
    Ooh, hadn't thought of that! Tricky one. He didn't seem like stalker material, but then you never know! :eek:

I think I will just text him and apologise for not replying sooner, but say I accidentally left my phone at my boyfriend's house. What do you think? Or will he get suspicious that we chatted for a couple of hours and went for a drink, and I never once mentioned I had a boyfriend? Hmmm.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)

errrrrr, say u have an internet stalker (that guy from just now who is stalking all the girls in the H&R forum i notice -he'll do) and you now have a deep mistrust of all men and never want to see any again.
    Me? :confused:

If so, I think you're mistaken.....I'm stalking all the girls in every forum on TSR (and several other boards)....not just the H&R forum! Get your facts straight :p:

aaaaalso - I agree with zhivago here, it's not like you really know him! Fine he'll be disappointed and all that but seriously, you don't know him so be mean for once in your life lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Ooh, hadn't thought of that! Tricky one. He didn't seem like stalker material, but then you never know! :eek:

I think I will just text him and apologise for not replying sooner, but say I accidentally left my phone at my boyfriend's house. What do you think? Or will he get suspicious that we chatted for a couple of hours and went for a drink, and I never once mentioned I had a boyfriend? Hmmm.....
    just don't do anything...

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a coward, text him or phone him and say that you're not interested. Simple, direct, and you won't have to worry any more. I've been in this situation on both sides, and I would much prefer to be told than to chase someone who wasn't interested. Just do it!

ReputationRep:
    Text him back, otherwise you'll come off as rude. If he's foolish enough to think exchanging numbers means that he's in there, then that's his fault. If I've been chatting to someone and we get on, I always swap numbers for future formals or drinking sessions. It's just a phone number. Equally, in conversation, if there's no reason for you to mention a boyfriend, why would you? Some people like to talk about who they're going out with...they sound a little bit like "oh look at me, I have a boyfriend". You could always say "fiancé" and scare him right off. Just be like "didn't you notice the ring?!". Lol.

Edit: don't randomly tell him you're not interested, he could just be being friendly, or even if he is interested, will make out that he's not and make you sound stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    Theres an easy way to tell: is your father your nephew?

If he is then you are in the pitcairns which means that abingdon must be somewhere in the pacific ocean....

:eek: OH DEAR GOD WE'LL ALL BE KILLED!!!!
    Nope, my father definitely wasn't my nephew! You're safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Text him back, otherwise you'll come off as rude. If he's foolish enough to think exchanging numbers means that he's in there, then that's his fault. If I've been chatting to someone and we get on, I always swap numbers for future formals or drinking sessions. It's just a phone number. Equally, in conversation, if there's no reason for you to mention a boyfriend, why would you? Some people like to talk about who they're going out with...they sound a little bit like "oh look at me, I have a boyfriend". You could always say "fiancé" and scare him right off. Just be like "didn't you notice the ring?!". Lol.

Edit: don't randomly tell him you're not interested, he could just be being friendly, or even if he is interested, will make out that he's not and make you sound stupid.
    Oooh, fiance.... *makes note*

We were at the swimming pool, I could easily have taken the ring off.

ReputationRep:
    did you flirt outrageously with him before? Because if you did, its going to be more difficult to get off the hook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
    did you flirt outrageously with him before? Because if you did, its going to be more difficult to get off the hook.
    No, thank goodness. I don't consciously flirt with people at all. If I fancy them it happens automatically.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.